* Re: RFC: Arducam 64 MP (Hawkeye)
       [not found] <166392656967.56880.6892202016312600929@Monstersaurus>
@ 2022-09-23 10:03 ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2022-09-23 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kieran Bingham; +Cc: Laurent Pinchart, linux-media, libcamera-devel

Hi Kieran,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:49:29AM +0100, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> Hi Sakari, Laurent,
>
> Last night I hooked up the Arducam 64 MP Hawkeye camera [0], to an RPi4,
> and added the camera helper for the RaspberryPi IPA to libcamera, and
> was able to use the camera directly with dtoverlay=arducam_64mp in the
> Raspberry Pi /boot/config.txt using the latest release from Raspberry
> Pi.
>
> Raspberry Pi have already added the driver for this camera [1] to their
> tree, and I have been given the tuning files from Arducam.
>
> This has allowed me to capture an image with pretty good response to
> changing lighting conditions, and colours. [2] ... The AF isn't yet
> enabled, so that shot is out of focus a little. (That's for later).
>
> Arducam do not wish to name the sensor used in the module, and have
> called it the 'arducam_64mp'. But attempting to upstreaming this with
> that name worries me.
>
> Furthermore, we would like to maintain libcamera as supporting cameras
> that have 'upstream' drivers (or drivers that are on their way
> upstream), so I'm keen to identify how we can upstream the drivers to
> create a better experience for users who are currently finding that they
> need to run a fork of libcamera to operate the module.
>
> So ultimately - my open question is ... Is it acceptable to have camera
> drivers that are named by their 'module/integration' rather than their
> sensor?

A lot of users (especially the existing ones) depend on the entity name
currently. I don't think we could change it. For new ones I guess that
would be possible.

Alternatively this could be a string control I think. That could be added
to existing drivers as well.

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus

* Re: RFC: Arducam 64 MP (Hawkeye)
@ 2022-09-23 13:42   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2022-09-23 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sakari Ailus; +Cc: Kieran Bingham, linux-media, libcamera-devel

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:03:19AM +0000, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:49:29AM +0100, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> > Hi Sakari, Laurent,
> >
> > Last night I hooked up the Arducam 64 MP Hawkeye camera [0], to an RPi4,
> > and added the camera helper for the RaspberryPi IPA to libcamera, and
> > was able to use the camera directly with dtoverlay=arducam_64mp in the
> > Raspberry Pi /boot/config.txt using the latest release from Raspberry
> > Pi.
> >
> > Raspberry Pi have already added the driver for this camera [1] to their
> > tree, and I have been given the tuning files from Arducam.
> >
> > This has allowed me to capture an image with pretty good response to
> > changing lighting conditions, and colours. [2] ... The AF isn't yet
> > enabled, so that shot is out of focus a little. (That's for later).
> >
> > Arducam do not wish to name the sensor used in the module, and have
> > called it the 'arducam_64mp'. But attempting to upstreaming this with
> > that name worries me.
> >
> > Furthermore, we would like to maintain libcamera as supporting cameras
> > that have 'upstream' drivers (or drivers that are on their way
> > upstream), so I'm keen to identify how we can upstream the drivers to
> > create a better experience for users who are currently finding that they
> > need to run a fork of libcamera to operate the module.
> >
> > So ultimately - my open question is ... Is it acceptable to have camera
> > drivers that are named by their 'module/integration' rather than their
> > sensor?
>
> A lot of users (especially the existing ones) depend on the entity name
> currently. I don't think we could change it. For new ones I guess that
> would be possible.
>
> Alternatively this could be a string control I think. That could be added
> to existing drivers as well.

The question here, as far as I understand, isn't about the entity name
exposed to userspace, but about the driver name. The entity name
certainly matters too.

Camera sensor drivers we have in the mainline kernel are named after the
camera sensor model, and I think we should continue that. If this were a
custom silicon made by Arducam they could name it any way they want, but
if it's a sensor from a known sensor manufacturer, I don't think the
name should be hidden. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be possible
to identify the camera sensor relatively easily from the register set
anyway, which would render this whole game pointless.

One of the major advantages of upstreaming driver is the community
maintenance that you get from free, including improvements to the driver
from other developers who use the same camera sensor in a different
product. We don't want to have multiple drivers for the same hardware in
the mainline kernel, there are precedents for that due to historical
reasons (mostly people not realizing that the same IP core was used in
different SoCs), and there are efforts to fix that. I don't see a reason
to go the opposite way.

TL;DR: Unless there's a very compeling reason not to follow the usual
practice, I don't see why we should make an exception in this case.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [libcamera-devel] RFC: Arducam 64 MP (Hawkeye)
@ 2022-09-23 20:46     ` Dave Stevenson
From: Dave Stevenson @ 2022-09-23 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: Sakari Ailus, libcamera-devel, linux-media

Hi All.

On Fri, 23 Sept 2022 at 14:43, Laurent Pinchart via libcamera-devel
<libcamera-devel@lists.libcamera.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:03:19AM +0000, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:49:29AM +0100, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> > > Hi Sakari, Laurent,
> > >
> > > Last night I hooked up the Arducam 64 MP Hawkeye camera [0], to an RPi4,
> > > and added the camera helper for the RaspberryPi IPA to libcamera, and
> > > was able to use the camera directly with dtoverlay=arducam_64mp in the
> > > Raspberry Pi /boot/config.txt using the latest release from Raspberry
> > > Pi.
> > >
> > > Raspberry Pi have already added the driver for this camera [1] to their
> > > tree, and I have been given the tuning files from Arducam.

I accepted the driver on the basis that Arducam upstream it, based on
libcamera's requirement of nominally running against mainline kernels.
Merging tuning files for libcamera should wait until they've made good
on that.

Raspberry Pi are not providing any level of support for it, that's all
deferred to Arducam.

> > > This has allowed me to capture an image with pretty good response to
> > > changing lighting conditions, and colours. [2] ... The AF isn't yet
> > > enabled, so that shot is out of focus a little. (That's for later).
> > >
> > > Arducam do not wish to name the sensor used in the module, and have
> > > called it the 'arducam_64mp'. But attempting to upstreaming this with
> > > that name worries me.
> > >
> > > Furthermore, we would like to maintain libcamera as supporting cameras
> > > that have 'upstream' drivers (or drivers that are on their way
> > > upstream), so I'm keen to identify how we can upstream the drivers to
> > > create a better experience for users who are currently finding that they
> > > need to run a fork of libcamera to operate the module.
> > >
> > > So ultimately - my open question is ... Is it acceptable to have camera
> > > drivers that are named by their 'module/integration' rather than their
> > > sensor?
> >
> > A lot of users (especially the existing ones) depend on the entity name
> > currently. I don't think we could change it. For new ones I guess that
> > would be possible.
> >
> > Alternatively this could be a string control I think. That could be added
> > to existing drivers as well.
>
> The question here, as far as I understand, isn't about the entity name
> exposed to userspace, but about the driver name. The entity name
> certainly matters too.
>
> Camera sensor drivers we have in the mainline kernel are named after the
> camera sensor model, and I think we should continue that. If this were a
> custom silicon made by Arducam they could name it any way they want, but
> if it's a sensor from a known sensor manufacturer, I don't think the
> name should be hidden. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be possible
> to identify the camera sensor relatively easily from the register set
> anyway, which would render this whole game pointless.
>
> One of the major advantages of upstreaming driver is the community
> maintenance that you get from free, including improvements to the driver
> from other developers who use the same camera sensor in a different
> product. We don't want to have multiple drivers for the same hardware in
> the mainline kernel, there are precedents for that due to historical
> reasons (mostly people not realizing that the same IP core was used in
> different SoCs), and there are efforts to fix that. I don't see a reason
> to go the opposite way.
>
> TL;DR: Unless there's a very compeling reason not to follow the usual
> practice, I don't see why we should make an exception in this case.

Arducam have done a pretty good marketing campaign based on this
sensor, hence not wanting to publicly declare what it is.

Jeff Geerling suggested it might be an IMX686 [1], but it's not.
It is a Sony sensor. Read the ID register (0x0016 IIRC) and all will
be revealed. Cross reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exmor.

If mainline accepts a driver with an alternate name I'll be delighted
to revert the downstream driver.
Likewise I'll be happy to merge a PR renaming the driver if someone
else identifies it - Arducam have asked me not to identify it. (The DT
overlay needs to keep using the same name, but that is identifying the
overall module instead of just the sensor)

  Dave

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mYRHrLYmLU&t=1s

* Re: [libcamera-devel] RFC: Arducam 64 MP (Hawkeye)
@ 2022-09-26  9:09       ` Kieran Bingham
From: Kieran Bingham @ 2022-09-26  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Stevenson, Dave Stevenson via libcamera-devel, Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: libcamera-devel, Sakari Ailus, linux-media

Quoting Dave Stevenson via libcamera-devel (2022-09-23 21:46:36)

@ 2022-09-26 12:19     ` Kieran Bingham
From: Kieran Bingham @ 2022-09-26 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart, Sakari Ailus; +Cc: linux-media, libcamera-devel

Quoting Laurent Pinchart (2022-09-23 14:42:52)
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:03:19AM +0000, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 10:49:29AM +0100, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> > > Hi Sakari, Laurent,
> > >
> > > Last night I hooked up the Arducam 64 MP Hawkeye camera [0], to an RPi4,
> > > and added the camera helper for the RaspberryPi IPA to libcamera, and
> > > was able to use the camera directly with dtoverlay=arducam_64mp in the
> > > Raspberry Pi /boot/config.txt using the latest release from Raspberry
> > > Pi.
> > >
> > > Raspberry Pi have already added the driver for this camera [1] to their
> > > tree, and I have been given the tuning files from Arducam.
> > >
> > > This has allowed me to capture an image with pretty good response to
> > > changing lighting conditions, and colours. [2] ... The AF isn't yet
> > > enabled, so that shot is out of focus a little. (That's for later).
> > >
> > > Arducam do not wish to name the sensor used in the module, and have
> > > called it the 'arducam_64mp'. But attempting to upstreaming this with
> > > that name worries me.
> > >
> > > Furthermore, we would like to maintain libcamera as supporting cameras
> > > that have 'upstream' drivers (or drivers that are on their way
> > > upstream), so I'm keen to identify how we can upstream the drivers to
> > > create a better experience for users who are currently finding that they
> > > need to run a fork of libcamera to operate the module.
> > >
> > > So ultimately - my open question is ... Is it acceptable to have camera
> > > drivers that are named by their 'module/integration' rather than their
> > > sensor?
> >
> > A lot of users (especially the existing ones) depend on the entity name
> > currently. I don't think we could change it. For new ones I guess that
> > would be possible.
> >
> > Alternatively this could be a string control I think. That could be added
> > to existing drivers as well.
>
> The question here, as far as I understand, isn't about the entity name
> exposed to userspace, but about the driver name. The entity name
> certainly matters too.

Yes, it's "Can we support a module vendor abstracting an underlying
device".

Ordinarily we'd expect this device to be supported through a compatible
that directly references the component it supports.

Of course it's not the first time that vendors/ODM/OEM/SVs abstract a
component to their own brand (There's plenty of in-silicon IP blocks
with common bases, but separate implementations) but this case is a bit
different because it's a direct integration of a sensor into a module.

A quick chat with Sakari tells me that we could potentially support this
as a CCS/SMIA device. But that will probably just push the problem
further into libcamera, as to how we directly identify which tuning file
to use anyway! (So still an important part to consider, as matching on
the sensor name for tuning data isn't sufficient in the first place).

> Camera sensor drivers we have in the mainline kernel are named after the
> camera sensor model, and I think we should continue that. If this were a
> custom silicon made by Arducam they could name it any way they want, but
> if it's a sensor from a known sensor manufacturer, I don't think the
> name should be hidden. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be possible
> to identify the camera sensor relatively easily from the register set
> anyway, which would render this whole game pointless.

We're already seeing Sony IMX drivers with support for more than one
sensor, and multiple compatible strings. (Bryan O'Donoghue's recent work
towards supporting IMX412, IMX577, and I think IMX477...)

I would like to see the sensor drivers becoming more generalised where
possible, not more specific to individual modules. Of course there are
differences between the different sensor models - but at the moment
we're generating lots of drivers with huge distinct tables of register
data...

The Sensor itself is common, and likely to be used in other products -
so masking this as 'arducam_64mp' seems the wrong way forwards to me.

At some point we're going to want to support a mobile phone camera with
the same sensor as this Arducam Module (which already exist) - and I
don't think we want the phone to state it has an arducam module in those
instances.

> One of the major advantages of upstreaming driver is the community
> maintenance that you get from free, including improvements to the driver
> from other developers who use the same camera sensor in a different
> product. We don't want to have multiple drivers for the same hardware in
> the mainline kernel, there are precedents for that due to historical
> reasons (mostly people not realizing that the same IP core was used in
> different SoCs), and there are efforts to fix that. I don't see a reason
> to go the opposite way.
>
> TL;DR: Unless there's a very compeling reason not to follow the usual
> practice, I don't see why we should make an exception in this case.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Laurent Pinchart

* Re: RFC: Arducam 64 MP (Hawkeye)
@ 2022-09-26 15:20       ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2022-09-26 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kieran Bingham; +Cc: Sakari Ailus, linux-media, libcamera-devel

Hi Kieran,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 01:19:47PM +0100, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> Quoting Laurent Pinchart (2022-09-23 14:42:52)

> > > A lot of users (especially the existing ones) depend on the entity name
> > > currently. I don't think we could change it. For new ones I guess that
> > > would be possible.
> > >
> > > Alternatively this could be a string control I think. That could be added
> > > to existing drivers as well.
> >
> > The question here, as far as I understand, isn't about the entity name
> > exposed to userspace, but about the driver name. The entity name
> > certainly matters too.
>
> Yes, it's "Can we support a module vendor abstracting an underlying
> device".
>
> Ordinarily we'd expect this device to be supported through a compatible
> that directly references the component it supports.
>
> Of course it's not the first time that vendors/ODM/OEM/SVs abstract a
> component to their own brand (There's plenty of in-silicon IP blocks
> with common bases, but separate implementations) but this case is a bit
> different because it's a direct integration of a sensor into a module.
>
> A quick chat with Sakari tells me that we could potentially support this
> as a CCS/SMIA device. But that will probably just push the problem
> further into libcamera, as to how we directly identify which tuning file
> to use anyway! (So still an important part to consider, as matching on
> the sensor name for tuning data isn't sufficient in the first place).

Absolutely, and that's an issue that has been discussed already. We need
a way to identify camera modules in addition to camera sensors, with the
information provided in DT. Naming the module after Arducam, and
shipping a corresponding tuning file, is totally fine with me.