* why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-17  1:08 John Utz
From: John Utz @ 2007-02-17  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello;

I have debugging turned on (--with-debug=detect) and the file is listed as writable:

ls -l /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 16 08:47 /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs

but i get no joy in the file:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs | grep 0:60
0:60 = 0000

echo 60 1 > /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs | grep 0:60
0:60 = 0000

the doc asserts that the register is rw:

Note that this is from the docs for the via vt1618

Vendor Defined Register (Page ID = 00h)
UAJ Control
Index: 60h                                                           Default Value: 0038h
    Bit     Attr. Description
   15:6      RO   Reserved
    5:4     RW    UAJ_2 (pin 21/22) Control
                  00: Reserved
                  01: Output from DAC_2 without analog mixing
                  10: Input as Line-In signal
                  11: Input as MIC1 & MIC2 signals (default)
    3:2     RW    UAJ_1 (pin 23/24) Control
                  00: Reserved
                  01: Output from DAC_1 without analog mixing
                  10: Input as Line-In signal (default)
                  11: Input as MIC1 & MIC2 signals
    1:0     RW    UAJ_0 (pin 35/36) Control
                  00: Output from DAC_0 with analog mixing (default)
                  01: Output from DAC_0 without analog mixing
                  10: Input as Line-In signal
                  11: Input as MIC1 & MIC2 signals

i believe that i want to set these to the 01 setting so that i can get surround out from Universal Audio Jacks on our MSI motherboard samples

am i barking up the wrong tree here?

tnx!

johnu

* Re: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-17  1:24 ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2007-02-17  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Utz; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 2/16/07, John Utz <John.Utz@dmxmusic.com> wrote:

> Hello;
>
>  I have debugging turned on (--with-debug=detect) and the file is listed as
> writable:

You want to use --with-debug=full.  detect only enables debug code in
ALSA's card detection.

>  i believe that i want to set these to the 01 setting so that i can get
> surround out from Universal Audio Jacks on our MSI motherboard samples
>
>  am i barking up the wrong tree here?

Not sure - can you state the exact problem you are trying to solve?

Lee

* Re: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-17  1:52   ` John Utz
From: John Utz @ 2007-02-17  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: alsa-devel

please forgive the lack of proper citing, i am stuck using outlook web access

>  I have debugging turned on (--with-debug=detect) and the file is listed as
> writable:

You want to use --with-debug=full.  detect only enables debug code in
ALSA's card detection.

i think the configure help should be changed; what would you conclude from this list:

 --with-debug=level      give the debug level (none,basic,full,detect)

to me, this certainly implies detect>full>basic>none

>  i believe that i want to set these to the 01 setting so that i can get
> surround out from Universal Audio Jacks on our MSI motherboard samples
>
>  am i barking up the wrong tree here?

Not sure - can you state the exact problem you are trying to solve?

there are two issues:

1. attempting to write to registers that are documented to be read-write doesnt
   result in a change of value; how do i debug this?

2. i have an msi motherboard with a via8237Rplus and a vt1618 8ch codec. it has only
   three plugs on the back that default to a stereo out, line in and mic in.

   they are supposed to be 'Universal Audio Jacks' and thus reconfigurable in the manner
   mentioned in the documentation that i listed previously - i wont really know if i have this
   write until i get the write to work

Lee

* Re: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-17  2:01     ` Lee Revell
       [not found]       ` <F8FB97052F1BEF409F7842E960E49B5AAAF899@sea-exch-01.na.corp.dmxmusic. com>
From: Lee Revell @ 2007-02-17  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Utz; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 2/16/07, John Utz <John.Utz@dmxmusic.com> wrote:
>  i think the configure help should be changed; what would you conclude from
> this list:
>
>   --with-debug=level      give the debug level (none,basic,full,detect)
>
>  to me, this certainly implies detect>full>basic>none

Agreed.

>  >  i believe that i want to set these to the 01 setting so that i can get
>  > surround out from Universal Audio Jacks on our MSI motherboard samples
>  >
>  >  am i barking up the wrong tree here?
>
>  Not sure - can you state the exact problem you are trying to solve?
>

>  there are two issues:
>
>  1. attempting to write to registers that are documented to be read-write
> doesnt
>     result in a change of value; how do i debug this?

The mode in /proc is misleading but the documentation in
Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt is correct.

>  2. i have an msi motherboard with a via8237Rplus and a vt1618 8ch codec. it
> has only
>     three plugs on the back that default to a stereo out, line in and mic
> in.
>
>     they are supposed to be 'Universal Audio Jacks' and thus reconfigurable
> in the manner
>     mentioned in the documentation that i listed previously - i wont really
> know if i have this
>     write until i get the write to work

How do you know that surround out from this device isn't already supported?

Does:

speaker-test -c 6 -Dsurround51

produce output on all speakers?

What is the output of "amixer"?

Lee

* Re: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-17 11:40   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2007-02-17 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: alsa-devel, John Utz

At Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:24:13 -0500,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On 2/16/07, John Utz <John.Utz@dmxmusic.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hello;
> >
> >  I have debugging turned on (--with-debug=detect) and the file is listed as
> > writable:
>
> You want to use --with-debug=full.  detect only enables debug code in
> ALSA's card detection.

Actually, no, --with-debug=detect enables all debug features.
It's confusing (why full is not full), but it's life :)
We should improve this description in INTALL file.

Takashi

* Re: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-20 17:46       ` John Utz
       [not found]       ` <F8FB97052F1BEF409F7842E960E49B5AAAF899@sea-exch-01.na.corp.dmxmusic. com>
From: John Utz @ 2007-02-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: alsa-devel

once again, plz forgive the lack of proper citing.

my delayed response is due to the fact that the previously 3 days was a holiday weekend.

>  i think the configure help should be changed; what would you conclude from
> this list:
>
>   --with-debug=level      give the debug level (none,basic,full,detect)
>
>  to me, this certainly implies detect>full>basic>none

Agreed.

Good, i am not crazy :-)

Anyway, i went back and reconfigured/recompiled/reinstalled/remodprobed as --with-debug=full

Nothing changed, i can still write to many registers but not the 1 that i am attempting to change: 60h UAJ Control; Does the '(Page ID = 00h)' alter how i need to access the register?:

Vendor Defined Register (Page ID = 00h)
UAJ Control
Index: 60h                                                           Default Value: 0038h
    Bit     Attr. Description
   15:6      RO   Reserved
    5:4     RW    UAJ_2 (pin 21/22) Control
                  00: Reserved
                  01: Output from DAC_2 without analog mixing
                  10: Input as Line-In signal
                  11: Input as MIC1 & MIC2 signals (default)
    3:2     RW    UAJ_1 (pin 23/24) Control
                  00: Reserved
                  01: Output from DAC_1 without analog mixing
                  10: Input as Line-In signal (default)
                  11: Input as MIC1 & MIC2 signals
    1:0     RW    UAJ_0 (pin 35/36) Control
                  00: Output from DAC_0 with analog mixing (default)
                  01: Output from DAC_0 without analog mixing
                  10: Input as Line-In signal
                  11: Input as MIC1 & MIC2 signals

>  there are two issues:
>
>  1. attempting to write to registers that are documented to be read-write
> doesnt
>     result in a change of value; how do i debug this?

The mode in /proc is misleading but the documentation in
Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt is correct.

What portion of that documentation are you refering to?

Note that I can change lots of other registers to my heart's content.

>  2. i have an msi motherboard with a via8237Rplus and a vt1618 8ch codec. it
> has only
>     three plugs on the back that default to a stereo out, line in and mic
> in.
>
>     they are supposed to be 'Universal Audio Jacks' and thus reconfigurable
> in the manner
>     mentioned in the documentation that i listed previously - i wont really
> know if i have this
>     write until i get the write to work

How do you know that surround out from this device isn't already supported?

Does:

speaker-test -c 6 -Dsurround51

produce output on all speakers?

That's a very reasonable question to ask;

No, it does not, otherwise i wouldnt be attempting to manipulate registers involved with causing the mic and line input plugs to be repurposed as center/lfe and surround outputs.

What is the output of "amixer"?

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
  Front Left: Capture [on]
  Front Right: Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Mic1' 'Mic2'
  Item0: 'Mic1'
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 15
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-45.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 15
  Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Input1' 'Input2'
  Item0: 'Input1'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',1
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Input1' 'Input2'
  Item0: 'Input1'
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [-48.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [-48.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',1
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [-48.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [-48.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',2
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [-48.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [-48.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',3
  Capabilities: pvolume

@ 2007-02-21  7:29           ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2007-02-21  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Utz, Lee Revell; +Cc: alsa-devel

> Nothing changed, i can still write to many registers but not the 1 that i
> am attempting to change: 60h UAJ Control; Does the '(Page ID = 00h)'
> alter how i need to access the register?

Yes, you have to set the correct page in the Audio Interrupt and Paging
register (24h); see the AC97_PAGE_* defines in ac97_codec.h.

HTH
Clemens

* Re: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-21 17:44             ` John Utz
From: John Utz @ 2007-02-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch, Lee Revell; +Cc: alsa-devel

> Nothing changed, i can still write to many registers but not the 1 that i
> am attempting to change: 60h UAJ Control; Does the '(Page ID = 00h)'
> alter how i need to access the register?

Yes, you have to set the correct page in the Audio Interrupt and Paging
register (24h); see the AC97_PAGE_* defines in ac97_codec.h.

Thankyou Clemens, i thought there might be something to it, but i wasnt sure what.

This should be a big help

HTH
Clemens

* SUCCESS!!! RE: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?
@ 2007-02-21 19:11               ` John Utz
From: John Utz @ 2007-02-21 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Utz, Clemens Ladisch, Lee Revell; +Cc: alsa-devel

 chan-id.wav now calls out on the surround and center/lfe outputs with the vt1618 so we now actually have a reasonable hope of shipping our product.

Thankyou very much for your assistance, patch to follow in the next few days assuming that i receive no managerial grief.