* Re: some problems (1.1.5 and 1.1.4)
@ 2003-06-30 11:51 Will Styles
From: Will Styles @ 2003-06-30 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Zygmont; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:11 am, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> ok, i'm going to try with ALSA, some of the games
> that run improperly are:
> jill2,3, kiloblaster1,2,3, and most of my other dos
> games.  What usually happens is each time there is
> a sound effect, the game gets sluggish pausing for
> about 1/2 second, and the musical soundtrack
> doesn't play for any game.  I remember now with
> 1.1.4, this problem existed, but just not
> quite as badly.

hmm, i think i know what the problem is but i'd rather
not say what it is yet. could you please try the
following versions:

1.1.4.9 (or <=)
1.1.4.10
1.1.4.13 (or >=)

if you don't have time, please just try 1.1.4.9.
i don't think stas will be happy though.... :-)

-wst

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* Re: some problems (1.1.5 and 1.1.4)
@ 2003-07-01 11:26 Will Styles
From: Will Styles @ 2003-07-01 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:16 pm, Bart Oldeman wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Will Styles wrote:
> > --- Justin Zygmont <jzygmont@solarflow.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > > i'll try.  however when I managed to try again with 1.1.4, the problem
> > > was there, just not quite as bad.
> >
> > well the patchset number is really critical here...
> >
> > > So I don't know if it'll make much
> > > difference if it was like that all along.
> >
> > i'm not concerned with persistent problems.
> > i'm more concerned about this: if the situation gets *drastically* worse
> > from 1.1.4.9 to 1.1.4.10, i know what the problem is. so i am most
> > interested in these 2 revisions.
>
> hmm what would be the problem in 1.1.4.10?
i didn't want to say so that an objective test could be done but since you want
to know, i believe problem could be "fix VIP/IF releated race in DPMI code.".
i'll be eagerly awaiting Justin's test results however...

> Does this change make all the difference for you? Funny...
i tell you what is even more funny: the VIP/IF change is even smaller :-)

btw, Bart, thankyou for fix jazz xdosemu problem.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* Re: some problems (1.1.5 and 1.1.4)
@ 2003-07-01 11:06 Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-07-01 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Will Styles wrote:

> i tell you what is even more funny: the VIP/IF change is even smaller :-)

right, I found some correspondence about this change (some negative
speed effects were mostly corrected in 1.1.4.14 according to Stas but I
never saw the difference myself and I'm not very familiar with the DPMI
code anyway) but never linked it to sound.

Bart

* Re: some problems (1.1.5 and 1.1.4)
@ 2003-06-25 17:39 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-06-25 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Justin Zygmont wrote:
> how about other games?  sound on my system doesn't work properly
If you provide an URLs for that other
games, there is a slightest chance someone
will try to fix the problem.
But at first try other drivers (OSS vs ALSA)
and see it one works better than another.
Also try to change the constant
MIN_NUM_FRAGMENTS from 0x4 to 0x10 - I've
been told that this fixes some problems
with SB-AWE/ALSA.

* Re: some problems (1.1.5 and 1.1.4)
@ 2003-06-25 17:30 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-06-25 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Ryan Underwood wrote:
> Looks like it was the broken OSS driver for vortex soundcards.
Have you tried this patch:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=515249&group_id=8109&atid=308109

> recently started using the ALSA driver which is in development at
> savannah, and wolf3d works perfectly as far as I can tell.
How good is the driver actually? Because
it works with dosemu, it might be rather
mature I guess.

* Re: some problems (1.1.5 and 1.1.4)
@ 2003-06-15 12:48 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-06-15 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Ryan Underwood wrote:
> Wolf3d doesn't work anymore for me either, it hangs on the soundcard
> detection.
Gosh, works perfectly here! (wolf v1.1)
Can you find out in what 1.1.4.x it started
to fail? (I would suggest .13 as a starting
point)

* some problems (1.1.5 and 1.1.4)
@ 2003-06-14 10:09 Jan Willem Stumpel
From: Jan Willem Stumpel @ 2003-06-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

problem 1:
1.1.5 produces sound from the sound card in 'jill' and 'carmen
sandiego', but not in Wolf3d; Wolfd3 hangs. This is with the
defaults in dosemu.conf unchanged apart from the boot disk location.

problem 2:
Unfortunately I don't have my old dosemu versions any more. So
wanting to test a older version I downloaded 1.1.4 from
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/emulators/dosemu .

Typed 'make' to compile it; but the compilation failed with

Sorry, a.out system detected, but we do no longer support it

But I don't have an a.out system; I have support for a.out
disabled in the kernel.

Of course I have no clue if problems 1 and 2 are related.
Kernel at this moment: 2.4.20.

Regards, Jan