* Re: PyPI account
       [not found] <CAFn=p-b+ene2vKCCDJR9viT9P=GyhBeAO5ZLGsUmiijoxrkfCg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-01-12 10:56 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2022-01-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow; +Cc: qemu-devel

[Context: John created a PyPI QEMU user in order to publish the qemu.qmp
package. If anyone wants to publish additional Python packages from
qemu.git, please contact him for PyPI access.]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 03:42:23PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> Account made: https://pypi.org/user/QEMU/
>
> I can't update the wiki, I lack admin perms to edit
> https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts
>
> I assume in the event that I fall into a black hole or get launched
> out of a cannon into the sun, any mails sent to jsnow@redhat.com can
> be recovered by Red Hat in general, so there's a sufficient recourse
> for recovering the account in that circumstance.

Thanks, I have added the PyPI QEMU user and added you as the admin
contact:
https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts#Other_resources

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: PyPI account
@ 2022-01-12 17:25   ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2022-01-12 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: Daniel Berrange, qemu-devel, Cleber Rosa

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:56 AM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:

> [Context: John created a PyPI QEMU user in order to publish the qemu.qmp
> package. If anyone wants to publish additional Python packages from
> qemu.git, please contact him for PyPI access.]
>
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 03:42:23PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> > Account made: https://pypi.org/user/QEMU/
> >
> > I can't update the wiki, I lack admin perms to edit
> > https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts
> >
> > I assume in the event that I fall into a black hole or get launched
> > out of a cannon into the sun, any mails sent to jsnow@redhat.com can
> > be recovered by Red Hat in general, so there's a sufficient recourse
> > for recovering the account in that circumstance.
>
> Thanks, I have added the PyPI QEMU user and added you as the admin
> contact:
> https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts#Other_resources
>
> Stefan

Thanks, Stefan!

As additional context, there is currently a single package that
belongs to that user, "qemu.qmp" [1]. I published it "in advance" to
be able to test integration in an RFC patch set I posted to the list
just before the winter break [2]. The package is an "alpha prerelease"
and is at a very low-risk to be installed by accident. The version
chosen here will be considered "less than" any other valid version
string chosen, and can be deleted permanently from PyPI after
consensus on list review. Please forgive the mid-review publishing.
The exact metadata, wording of the README, etc is still under review
here [3].

As for the PyPI account itself, I have volunteered to administer it.
If anyone wants access (esp. a leadership committee member from
another employer), please contact me - I'm happy to share.

[1] https://pypi.org/project/qemu.qmp/
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2021-12/msg02840.html
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2021-12/msg02418.html

* Re: PyPI account
@ 2022-01-12 17:34     ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2022-01-12 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow; +Cc: qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, Cleber Rosa

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:25:16PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:56 AM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > [Context: John created a PyPI QEMU user in order to publish the qemu.qmp
> > package. If anyone wants to publish additional Python packages from
> > qemu.git, please contact him for PyPI access.]
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 03:42:23PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> > > Account made: https://pypi.org/user/QEMU/
> > >
> > > I can't update the wiki, I lack admin perms to edit
> > > https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts
> > >
> > > I assume in the event that I fall into a black hole or get launched
> > > out of a cannon into the sun, any mails sent to jsnow@redhat.com can
> > > be recovered by Red Hat in general, so there's a sufficient recourse
> > > for recovering the account in that circumstance.
> >
> > Thanks, I have added the PyPI QEMU user and added you as the admin
> > contact:
> > https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts#Other_resources
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Thanks, Stefan!
>
> As additional context, there is currently a single package that
> belongs to that user, "qemu.qmp" [1]. I published it "in advance" to
> be able to test integration in an RFC patch set I posted to the list
> just before the winter break [2]. The package is an "alpha prerelease"
> and is at a very low-risk to be installed by accident. The version
> chosen here will be considered "less than" any other valid version
> string chosen, and can be deleted permanently from PyPI after
> consensus on list review. Please forgive the mid-review publishing.
> The exact metadata, wording of the README, etc is still under review
> here [3].
>
> As for the PyPI account itself, I have volunteered to administer it.
> If anyone wants access (esp. a leadership committee member from
> another employer), please contact me - I'm happy to share.

As a general rule we should ensure we always have 2 nominated people
with access to any account held on behalf of the QEMU project, so we
have some redundancy in case of unexpected events. So we definitely
ought to have a 2nd person with access to PyPI even if they do nothing
with it.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: PyPI account
@ 2022-01-12 17:47       ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2022-01-12 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrangé
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Alex Bennée, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi,
	Cleber Rosa

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:34 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:25:16PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:56 AM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > [Context: John created a PyPI QEMU user in order to publish the qemu.qmp
> > > package. If anyone wants to publish additional Python packages from
> > > qemu.git, please contact him for PyPI access.]

> > > Thanks, I have added the PyPI QEMU user and added you as the admin
> > > contact:
> > > https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts#Other_resources
> > >
> > > Stefan
> >
> > Thanks, Stefan!
> >
> > As additional context, there is currently a single package that
> > belongs to that user, "qemu.qmp" [1]. I published it "in advance" to
> > be able to test integration in an RFC patch set I posted to the list
> > just before the winter break [2]. The package is an "alpha prerelease"
> > and is at a very low-risk to be installed by accident. The version
> > chosen here will be considered "less than" any other valid version
> > string chosen, and can be deleted permanently from PyPI after
> > consensus on list review. Please forgive the mid-review publishing.
> > The exact metadata, wording of the README, etc is still under review
> > here [3].
> >
> > As for the PyPI account itself, I have volunteered to administer it.
> > If anyone wants access (esp. a leadership committee member from
> > another employer), please contact me - I'm happy to share.
>
> As a general rule we should ensure we always have 2 nominated people
> with access to any account held on behalf of the QEMU project, so we
> have some redundancy in case of unexpected events. So we definitely
> ought to have a 2nd person with access to PyPI even if they do nothing
> with it.

I'm perfectly fine with that. It'd increase the fault tolerance to
have someone from outside of RH be the paper-admin there. Any
volunteers?

(I can add your email as a secondary contact to the account such that
you would be able to use that email to initiate an account recovery,
but you wouldn't receive email from PyPI concerning the comings and
goings of the account. Your name and email would not show up on any
PyPI package pages, so it should very hopefully not involve really any
actual maintainership on your part.)

--js

* Re: PyPI account
@ 2022-01-12 17:51         ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2022-01-12 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Alex Bennée, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi,
	Cleber Rosa

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:47:01PM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:34 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks, Stefan!
> > >
> > > As additional context, there is currently a single package that
> > > belongs to that user, "qemu.qmp" [1]. I published it "in advance" to
> > > be able to test integration in an RFC patch set I posted to the list
> > > just before the winter break [2]. The package is an "alpha prerelease"
> > > and is at a very low-risk to be installed by accident. The version
> > > chosen here will be considered "less than" any other valid version
> > > string chosen, and can be deleted permanently from PyPI after
> > > consensus on list review. Please forgive the mid-review publishing.
> > > The exact metadata, wording of the README, etc is still under review
> > > here [3].
> > >
> > > As for the PyPI account itself, I have volunteered to administer it.
> > > If anyone wants access (esp. a leadership committee member from
> > > another employer), please contact me - I'm happy to share.
> >
> > As a general rule we should ensure we always have 2 nominated people
> > with access to any account held on behalf of the QEMU project, so we
> > have some redundancy in case of unexpected events. So we definitely
> > ought to have a 2nd person with access to PyPI even if they do nothing
> > with it.
> >

> I'm perfectly fine with that. It'd increase the fault tolerance to
> have someone from outside of RH be the paper-admin there. Any
> volunteers?
>
> (I can add your email as a secondary contact to the account such that
> you would be able to use that email to initiate an account recovery,
> but you wouldn't receive email from PyPI concerning the comings and
> goings of the account. Your name and email would not show up on any
> PyPI package pages, so it should very hopefully not involve really any
> actual maintainership on your part.)

In my case I expect it could complain that my email(s) are already
in use for other PyPI accounts of my own.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: PyPI account
@ 2022-01-12 18:02           ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2022-01-12 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrangé
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Alex Bennée, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi,
	Cleber Rosa

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:51 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:47:01PM -0500, John Snow wrote:

> > > As a general rule we should ensure we always have 2 nominated people
> > > with access to any account held on behalf of the QEMU project, so we
> > > have some redundancy in case of unexpected events. So we definitely
> > > ought to have a 2nd person with access to PyPI even if they do nothing
> > > with it.
> > >

> > I'm perfectly fine with that. It'd increase the fault tolerance to
> > have someone from outside of RH be the paper-admin there. Any
> > volunteers?
> >
> > (I can add your email as a secondary contact to the account such that
> > you would be able to use that email to initiate an account recovery,
> > but you wouldn't receive email from PyPI concerning the comings and
> > goings of the account. Your name and email would not show up on any
> > PyPI package pages, so it should very hopefully not involve really any
> > actual maintainership on your part.)
>
> In my case I expect it could complain that my email(s) are already
> in use for other PyPI accounts of my own.

It does complain about this, but there's always the
myname+arbitrary@example.com trick, which works. I have no problem
adding you, but for the purposes of fault tolerance I'd prefer adding
someone outside of RH. If there aren't any takers after a bit, ...

--js