* Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday March 16
@ 2022-03-16  2:45 Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-03-16  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
scheduled for this Wednesday March 16 at 10:00am PDT.

We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
and anything else that comes up:

1. Please review the phosphor audit design
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023>

Access, agenda and notes are in the wiki:
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group
<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group>

- Joseph

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday March 16 - results
@ 2022-03-16 17:51 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-03-16 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 3/15/22 9:45 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday March 16 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
> and anything else that comes up:

Attended: Joseph, Ratan, James, Mark, Daniil, Dhananjay, Dick, Jiang

1 Please review the phosphor audit design
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023>and related
code under https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging
<https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging>directory phosphor-audit.

IBM is interested in working on  this.

We also discussed encrypting data like logs, and storing keys in a vault
/ trust zone /  TPM.

See also encrypted volume https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged
<https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged>

2 CNA work update

James is working on the OpenBMC vulnerability backlog.  First
transferring each one to our private github issues database together
with its reserved CVE.  James will share JSON-formatted CVEs with the
security response team (SRT).  Currently working to upload/submit CVEs
to mitre.  (Note these are not yet public.)

Helpful tools: formatted vulnerabilities using vulnogram.  Use
Redhat’s  Cvelib Python-based tool

TODO: Joseph and Dhananjay (as the OpenBMC CNAs): get credentials from
mitre to allow you to create CVEs.

-Joseph

@ 2022-03-16 19:45   ` Michael Richardson
From: Michael Richardson @ 2022-03-16 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: openbmc

Joseph Reynolds <jrey@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
    > We also discussed encrypting data like logs, and storing keys in a
    > vault / trust zone /  TPM.

Wouldn't it make most sense to encrypt them *to* an asymmetric (public) key that is
not on the BMC?   Or one can send them over encrypted syslog, or netconf to
another server for safe keeping.
Or are you thinking that you need to sign the logs?

If the key is stored locally, even in a TPM, and the point is to be able to
review logs locally, then the logs need to get decrypted, and that means that
the key needs to be enabled/opened/activated locally, and which point,
if there was a compromised system, the bad guy wins.

I guess I wonder what the goals are here.

    > See also encrypted volume https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged
    > <https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged>

Same issue: where is the key stored?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday March 16 - results
@ 2022-03-16 23:21   ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-03-16 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: openbmc

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:51:11PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:

> 1 Please review the phosphor audit design
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023>and related
> code under https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging
> <https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging>directory phosphor-audit.
>
> IBM is interested in working on  this.

Was there any feedback on the design?  The current proposal seems very
foundational, like phosphor-logging itself, so I want to make sure we have broad
consensus on it before we invest a lot of effort in this approach.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday March 16 - results - audit log handling
@ 2022-03-18 22:23     ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-03-18 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Richardson, Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 3/16/22 2:45 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Joseph Reynolds <jrey@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>      > We also discussed encrypting data like logs, and storing keys in a
>      > vault / trust zone /  TPM.
>
> Wouldn't it make most sense to encrypt them *to* an asymmetric (public) key that is
> not on the BMC?   Or one can send them over encrypted syslog, or netconf to
> another server for safe keeping.
> Or are you thinking that you need to sign the logs?
>
> If the key is stored locally, even in a TPM, and the point is to be able to
> review logs locally, then the logs need to get decrypted, and that means that
> the key needs to be enabled/opened/activated locally, and which point,
> if there was a compromised system, the bad guy wins.
>
> I guess I wonder what the goals are here.

Goals?  We didn't mention any goals, and the discussion about encryption
was lighthearted and introductory.
I had not thought past storing the audit log on the BMC, and realizing
that it should be encrypted or streamed off the BMC.
I agree that using symmetric keys is not a good idea.

I'll ask my requirement providers what their needs are in this space.

- Joseph

>      > See also encrypted volume https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged
>      > <https://github.com/openbmc/estoraged>
>
> Same issue: where is the key stored?
same

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday March 16 - results
@ 2022-03-18 22:49     ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-03-18 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 3/16/22 6:21 PM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:51:11PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>
>> 1 Please review the phosphor audit design
>> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023
>> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/46023>and related
>> code under https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging
>> <https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-logging>directory phosphor-audit.
>>
>> IBM is interested in working on  this.
> Was there any feedback on the design?  The current proposal seems very
> foundational, like phosphor-logging itself, so I want to make sure we have broad
> consensus on it before we invest a lot of effort in this approach.

I liked it, and I just added a comment!

Joseph