* [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 disk full problem during install...
@ 2004-12-17 17:42 Vladimir N. Oleynik
From: Vladimir N. Oleynik @ 2004-12-17 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: whit74, qemu-devel

Leo,

 >> This correction adds waiting one (or zero, autorandomly) period before
 >> sending interruption after positioning before write. (see attach)
 >> But this a HACK, do not use after w2k install!

 > Can you explain why we shouldn't use this other than for win2k install?
 > I'm not too familiar with the IDE emulation and am not sure what the
 > consequences would be.  Of course, it is easy to disable at run time by
 > just setting s->ide_set_irq_from_timer = 0.  I am just trying to
 > understand more about this - what the real problem seems to be, what the
 > danger of using this hack after install is, etc.

The periods of the timer too big.
After that hack the host-system will be all more and to be slowed down
at the reference to fragments files.

 > I will investigate your AIO solution as well - do you feel that it is
 > more correct than this non-AIO patch?

Yes. But I offered idea which most likely works only for softmmu variant
and may be not works for qemu-fast/usermode.
I can`t test -fast variant and unlike -usermode.

--w
vodz

* [Qemu-devel] Windows 2000 disk full problem during install...
@ 2004-12-14 20:58 Leo Whitman
From: Leo Whitman @ 2004-12-14 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to look into this problem more.
I've done a great deal of research myself on it so far, but do not yet
have a solution.  Most of the c:\winnt\security\edb*.log files that fill
up the disk are created during the hardware scan stage in the GUI
portion of the install.  I'm using Windows 2000 Professional, on QEMU
0.6.2 (latest from CVS) and have encountered the problem on any flavor
of Linux I try.

I did try to set the disk geometry manually with -hdacs to
<tracks>/16/63.  This helped a bit - basically delayed the disk filling
up until later in the hardware scan.  Without this parameter, the log
files fill the disk pretty much right at the beginning of the hardware scan.

I also tried a small patch to hw/ide.c (without the multithread bits) ,
from Vladimir N. Oleynik.  Basically only the s->status is set to
READY_STAT instead of READY_STAT | SEEK_STAT in/around hw/ide.c:1472
from that patch.  This did not solve the problem at all.

I'm willing to keep investigating the problem, but was wondering if any
others had ideas in the meantime.

Thank you,

Leo Whitman