* Re: RDMA developer gatherings around Kernel Summit and Linux Plumbers in Santa Fe
@ 2016-10-06 18:33 Coulter, Susan K
       [not found] ` <E82DA475-17F6-461C-A927-66AE4AE22D72-K3XgeB3KlJxL3NSqSJqx7PIbXMQ5te18@public.gmane.org>
From: Coulter, Susan K @ 2016-10-06 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph,

I am the current Chair of the OFA, and therefore do speak for the OFA.
I will be at the LPC and will attend both RDMA sessions.

The OFA’s position on this is not cast in stone.
We realize that OFS has matured and no longer needs the care and feeding it did ~8 years ago.
That said, the OFA believes there is still value in our existence.
( even if you wish we should die a slow death :)

The OFA’s position is that we have some member companies that require dual license in order to offer products and solutions that repackage OFS software on non-Linux OSs.  We are in the process of finding out from those members what bits are critical to that re-packaging.  We also believe, contrary to your understanding, that we cannot force dual license on the entire RDMA kernel subsystem.

Back in June we began an effort to see if that was possible.  ( that = keeping the kernel bits dual licensed )  Part of that effort was an email I sent you to ask if you would be willing to dual license your recent patches.  You never responded, so I assumed you A.  never saw the email  B.  trashed it with prejudice  C. were too busy to respond.   Hopefully you did not consider that email “bullying”, as I believe I used the words “Any chance you’d be willing” … and just "thought I’d ask”.

We also have considered a clean room approach to re-creating the single licensed patches, but have decided that may not be realistic.

Therefore, we - the OFA - are trying to strike a balance that works for our members and will survive in the real world.
If we die a slow death and the various ULPs that rely on RDMA continue to grow and improve - so be it.
And you can dance on our grave.

Susan Coulter / HPC-DES
Network Capability Lead
(505) 667-8425
“Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right”  Robert Hunter

* RDMA developer gatherings around Kernel Summit and Linux Plumbers in Santa Fe
@ 2016-10-28 17:17 Christoph Lameter
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.20.1610281212220.8691-wcBtFHqTun5QOdAKl3ChDw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Lameter @ 2016-10-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: Doug Ledford, skc-YOWKrPYUwWM, ira.weiny-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w,
	Jason Gunthorpe, john.fleck-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w,
	leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, liranl-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w,
	matanb-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w, tzahio-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w

We have two days dedicated to meetings about RDMA technology

- RDMA workshop on Tuesday, 1st of November

	Meeting in Sweeney AB from 9am till 5pm.
	See https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ocw/events/LPC2016/schedule

	This is part of the Kernel Summit and the Linux Plumbers
	Conference. Only open to KS and LPC attendees with an invitation.

	Sessions:

		 Implementing a new Linux RDMA provider		Knut Omang
		 New IOCTL ABI					Matan Barak
		 Consolidation of RDMA User-space code		Jason Gunthorpe
		 Debuggability and Tracing			Leon Romanovsky
		 Integration with other subsystems		Leon Romanovsky
		 Lunch Break
		 Containers and RDMA				Liran Liss
		 New Fabrics					Ira Weiny
		 Future and Roadmap for RDMA			Doug Ledford
		 User Mode Ethernet Verbs			Tzahi Oved
		 Dual Licensing					Susan Coulter

	Note that there are some speakers who have not filled out the speakers profile
	and some abstract needs to be filled out. Those list me as a speaker until
	the time that we can put the information about the real speaker in there.

- RDMA Summit on Saturday the 5th of November

	This event will be held at

	Hilton Santa Fe
	100 Sandoval St.
	Santa Fe, NM 87501
	Phone: (505)988-2811

	Meeting in the Canyon Ballroom 9am till 4pm.

	This event is sponsored by the Open Fabrics Alliance and will be
	open to all

The workshop will be focusing more on the technical topics (some
of which could be carried over to Saturday if necessary because we have
more time then. We will summarize what happened on Tuesday for those who
were not able to participate earlier.

Saturday sessions 9am till 4pm. 12-1pm Lunchtime

	9am	Refine TODO list for consolidated library - Jason Gunthorpe
	10am	Submission process for multi subsystem drivers - Doug Ledford
	11am	Multicast features and gaps - Christoph Lameter

	1pm	Licensing carryover - Susan/Christoph
	2pm	Standard network tools, integrating to the regular network stack - Christoph
	3pm	Open Discussion/Reserve Session	- TBD
	4pm	Closing Session	- TBD

* RDMA developer gatherings around Kernel Summit and Linux Plumbers in Santa Fe
@ 2016-10-04  9:16 Christoph Lameter
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.20.1610040344500.11122-wcBtFHqTun5QOdAKl3ChDw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Lameter @ 2016-10-04  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: ira.weiny-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w, Jason Gunthorpe,
	john.fleck-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w, leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A,
	Doug Ledford, skc-YOWKrPYUwWM, shewa-YOWKrPYUwWM

We now have confirmation about the meetings related to the KS and LPC. The
events will be held at the:

	Hilton Santa Fe
	100 Sandoval St.
	Santa Fe, NM 87501
	Phone: (505)988-2811

We meet specifically on the subject matter of RDMA two days:

- RDMA workshop on Tuesday, 1st of November

	Meeting in Sweeney B 9am till 5pm.
	See http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ocw/events/LPC2016/tracks/609

	This is part of the Kernel Summit and the Linux Plumbers
	Conference. Only open to KS and LPC attendees with an invitation.

- RDMA Summit on Saturday the 5th of November

	Meeting in the Canyon Ballroom 9am till 4pm.

	This event is sponsored by the Open Fabrics Alliance and will be
	open to all

We think the workshop could be focusing more on the technical topics (some
of which could be carried over to Saturday if necessary because we have
more time then. The "Summit" would also be including management issues,
long range plans and OFA related material. We will summarize what
happened on Tuesday for those who were not able to participate earlier.

Each day we thought we could cover 6 subjects. 3 in the morning 3 in the
afternoon.

Initial ideas for sessions:

Workshop:
	- New ioctl ABI and issues related to that
	- Consolidated libraries. Closer integration of librdmacm to
		libibverbs etc.
	- Using standard network tools/techniques for IB interfaces.
	- Debuggability and tracing (also can standard tools help here?)
	- State of Multicast support
	- Containers and RDMA

Summit:
	- Licensing (GPL vs. Dual licensed)
	- Integration with other subsystems (GPUs, network, PCI etc ...)
	- Roadmap and future of RDMA
	- Leftover issues and TODO for consolidated library.
	- Submission process for multi-subsystem drivers (f.e ROCE)

Feedback would be appreciated so that we can workout an agenda that is
useful for all participants.