Kernel Newbies archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
@ 2020-07-01  9:15 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-01 10:58 ` Greg KH
  2020-07-04 12:22 ` Pavel Machek
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-01  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

Hi, list

Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of
if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?

Would it do harm to the hardware?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-01  9:15 Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform? 孙世龙 sunshilong
@ 2020-07-01 10:58 ` Greg KH
  2020-07-01 12:24   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-19  4:38   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-04 12:22 ` Pavel Machek
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2020-07-01 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 孙世龙 sunshilong; +Cc: linux-kernel, Kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 05:15:52PM +0800, 孙世龙 sunshilong wrote:
> Hi, list
> 
> Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of
> if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?

Yes, your ACPI-based system will not boot.

> Would it do harm to the hardware?

It might, try it and see :)

good luck!!!

greg k-h

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-01 10:58 ` Greg KH
@ 2020-07-01 12:24   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-01 12:28     ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-19  4:38   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-01 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel, Kernelnewbies

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 146 bytes --]

Hi, Gred
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
>> Would it do harm to the hardware?
> It might, try it and see :)
It's really bad news.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 387 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 170 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-01 12:24   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
@ 2020-07-01 12:28     ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-01 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel, Kernelnewbies

Hi, Gred
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

>> Would it do harm to the hardware?
> It might, try it and see :)
It's really bad news.


孙世龙 sunshilong <sunshilong369@gmail.com> 于2020年7月1日周三 下午8:24写道:
>
> Hi, Gred
> Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
> >> Would it do harm to the hardware?
> > It might, try it and see :)
> It's really bad news.

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-01  9:15 Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform? 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-01 10:58 ` Greg KH
@ 2020-07-04 12:22 ` Pavel Machek
  2020-07-04 13:34   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-19  5:03   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-07-04 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 孙世龙 sunshilong; +Cc: linux-kernel, Kernelnewbies

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 554 bytes --]

Hi!

> Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of
> if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
> 
> Would it do harm to the hardware?
> 
> Thank you for your attention to this matter.

These machines are still mostly IBM-PC compatible, so it is likely to
somehow work. You'll likely get worse power and thermal
management. Try it.

									Pavel

-- 
(english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
(cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

[-- Attachment #1.2: Digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 181 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 170 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-04 12:22 ` Pavel Machek
@ 2020-07-04 13:34   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  2020-07-04 20:09     ` Pavel Machek
  2020-07-19  5:03   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-04 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek, Greg KH; +Cc: LKML, kernelnewbies

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

>These machines are still mostly IBM-PC compatible, so it is likely to
>somehow work. You'll likely get worse power and thermal
>management. Try it.
It's an industrial personal computer with an Intel processor.
What I am worried about is that it may damage the hardware.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Best Regards.

Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> 于2020年7月4日周六 下午8:22写道:
>
> Hi!
>
> > Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of
> > if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
> >
> > Would it do harm to the hardware?
> >
> > Thank you for your attention to this matter.
>
> These machines are still mostly IBM-PC compatible, so it is likely to
> somehow work. You'll likely get worse power and thermal
> management. Try it.
>
>                                                                         Pavel
>
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-04 13:34   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
@ 2020-07-04 20:09     ` Pavel Machek
  2020-07-05  1:47       ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-07-04 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 孙世龙 sunshilong; +Cc: Greg KH, LKML, kernelnewbies

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 709 bytes --]

On Sat 2020-07-04 21:34:36, 孙世龙 sunshilong wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
> 
> >These machines are still mostly IBM-PC compatible, so it is likely to
> >somehow work. You'll likely get worse power and thermal
> >management. Try it.
> It's an industrial personal computer with an Intel processor.
> What I am worried about is that it may damage the hardware.

I'd simply try it. Risk is really quite low...

If in doubt, you could ask vendor.

But you will not get definitive answers on the mailing list...

									Pavel
-- 
(english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
(cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

[-- Attachment #1.2: Digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 181 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 170 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-04 20:09     ` Pavel Machek
@ 2020-07-05  1:47       ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-05  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Greg KH, LKML, kernelnewbies

I see. Thank you .

Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> 于2020年7月5日周日 上午4:09写道:
>
> On Sat 2020-07-04 21:34:36, 孙世龙 sunshilong wrote:
> > Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
> >
> > >These machines are still mostly IBM-PC compatible, so it is likely to
> > >somehow work. You'll likely get worse power and thermal
> > >management. Try it.
> > It's an industrial personal computer with an Intel processor.
> > What I am worried about is that it may damage the hardware.
>
> I'd simply try it. Risk is really quite low...
>
> If in doubt, you could ask vendor.
>
> But you will not get definitive answers on the mailing list...
>
>                                                                         Pavel
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-01 10:58 ` Greg KH
  2020-07-01 12:24   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
@ 2020-07-19  4:38   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-19  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Pavel Machek; +Cc: LKML, kernelnewbies

Hi, Greg KH
>Yes, your ACPI-based system will not boot.
Do you mean the OS will not boot or some of the Linux subsystems(i.e.
USB PCI etc) will not boot?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:58 PM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 05:15:52PM +0800, 孙世龙 sunshilong wrote:
> > Hi, list
> >
> > Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of
> > if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
>
> Yes, your ACPI-based system will not boot.
>
> > Would it do harm to the hardware?
>
> It might, try it and see :)
>
> good luck!!!
>
> greg k-h

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
  2020-07-04 12:22 ` Pavel Machek
  2020-07-04 13:34   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
@ 2020-07-19  5:03   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-19  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek, LKML; +Cc: Greg KH, kernelnewbies

Hi, Pavel
>> Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of
>> if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
>These machines are still mostly IBM-PC compatible, so it is likely to
>somehow work. You'll likely get worse power and thermal
>management. Try it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

Do you mean disabling the CONFIG_ACPI option is mostly on IBM-PC
compatible platforms?

Do you think disabling the CONFIG_ACPI may cause the OS failing to boot
up?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:22 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> > Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of
> > if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform?
> >
> > Would it do harm to the hardware?
> >
> > Thank you for your attention to this matter.
>
> These machines are still mostly IBM-PC compatible, so it is likely to
> somehow work. You'll likely get worse power and thermal
> management. Try it.
>
>                                                                         Pavel
>
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 10+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-07-01  9:15 Are there some potentially serious problems that I should be aware of if I totally disable the CONFIG_ACPI option on the X86_64 platform? 孙世龙 sunshilong
2020-07-01 10:58 ` Greg KH
2020-07-01 12:24   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
2020-07-01 12:28     ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
2020-07-19  4:38   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
2020-07-04 12:22 ` Pavel Machek
2020-07-04 13:34   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
2020-07-04 20:09     ` Pavel Machek
2020-07-05  1:47       ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
2020-07-19  5:03   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong

Kernel Newbies archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/kernelnewbies/0 kernelnewbies/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 kernelnewbies kernelnewbies/ https://lore.kernel.org/kernelnewbies \
		kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
	public-inbox-index kernelnewbies

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git