* Chasing IO errors. BTRFS: error (device dm-2) in btrfs_run_delayed_refs:2907: errno=-5 IO failure
@ 2019-08-20 20:36 Peter Chant
From: Peter Chant @ 2019-08-20 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

Chasing IO errors.  BTRFS: error (device dm-2) in
btrfs_run_delayed_refs:2907: errno=-5 IO failure

I've just had an odd one.

Over the last few days I've noticed a file system blocking, if that is
the correct term, and this morning go read only.  This resulted in a lot
of checksum errors.

Having spotted the file system go read only in the logs and then noted
the error message in the subject shortly after booting I assumed a
hardware error and changed the SATA cable.  That had no effect so I
isolated the disk and mounted the respective file system degraded.
Shortly after mounting the degraded file system I had the same error
again. So I unmounted the file system edited fstab and swapped the disk
which I though originally had the error with the one now showing an error.

The file system is btrfs, kernel 5.2.9, RAID 1 with three WD reds of 3,
3 and 4 TB.  btrfs is on top of luks.

The original 'blocking' behaviour seemed to manifest itself as I
upgraded the kernel to 5.2.5 or 5.2.7 a day or two ago.  So I tried
5.1.21 to see if that made a difference when the error was showing.  It
did not.  Yesterday I had a backup with rsync, started early in the
morning that should take minutes to complete still running 8h later with
two CPU cores maxed.  Up until I had the file system go read only I had
not noticed anything amiss in the logs, but to be honest, I'd not looked
very hard.

smartctl did not show anything amiss with the drives.

Does this sound like a hardware error?  I have ordered a replacement
drive, if it is not needed as a replacement I will put it into a
homebrew NAS.

I've hit the issue again.  Hopefully the system is up long enough to
post this.

I'm a bit worried that trying to track this down disconnecting a disk at
a time I might hit the btrfs split brain issue.

Pete