linux-kernel-mentees.lists.linuxfoundation.org archive mirror
* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Community Bridge Klever Project
       [not found]               ` <CACFir3jCY6kNyzr_7F+r1aRwt9nr78iiPw5b1BtnHfEu_Cxi5w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-08-13 18:01                 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-08-13 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rajput; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 7:15 PM Jay Rajput <jay24rajput@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Lukas,
>
> I was trying to compile the Linux kernel on my Ubuntu 18.04 machine.
>
> I executed the steps in the attached screenshot but I am running into the following error. I tried searching for the fix on this error but wasn't able to figure it out. I was hoping perhaps you could help me fix it.
>
> Please let me know if you can help me with this.

First, please do not send screenshots; my mailbox and others you might
communicate with have limited space and your png file is huge. Just
copy the relevant text and output from the terminal.

Second, please do not top-post.

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

Third, please always CC: linux-kernel-mentees@linux-foundation.org.

Fourth, please use google first and summarize what you found when
reading the relevant articles.

Now to your issue:

You need to install the latest version of clang, which provides
asm-goto support. Check the release notes of the compiler to see if
asm-goto support is provided by the version you downloaded.

Follow the rules above and the selection for a potential mentorship
can continue.

Lukas

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Community Bridge Klever Project
       [not found]               ` <CAKXUXMxJdUiR_u6Kh=5SC-i7yc0fo=2JD_syaEPmQwNHCo57ng@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-08-18 13:00                 ` Jay Rajput
From: Jay Rajput @ 2020-08-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, linux-kernel-mentees

> Okay, I had a look. Terminal buffer overflow? Do you have an idea how to
> pass the terminal output into a file?

Yes, I will keep that in mind and do it the next time

> The next task is to run coccinelle on the kernel sources. You will find
> documentation on how to set up and run coccinelle in the kernel
> documentation.
>
> I suggest you run coccinelle on the latest kernel source, v5.9-rc1.

Alright, I will have a look and get back to you

@ 2020-08-19 18:29                 ` Jay Rajput
From: Jay Rajput @ 2020-08-19 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, linux-kernel-mentees

> The next task is to run coccinelle on the kernel sources. You will find
> documentation on how to set up and run coccinelle in the kernel
> documentation.
>
> I suggest you run coccinelle on the latest kernel source, v5.9-rc1.
>
> Lukas

Hello,

I ran the coccinelle, I am attaching the output in a google document.
Please have a look and let me know the further steps:
Document link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahWouti1FTenrIL92Ra6JXYlWW-9j4KK8qVdh4VvEr0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks and Regards,
Jay Rajput

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Community Bridge Klever Project
@ 2020-08-22 17:27                   ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-08-22 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rajput; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020, Jay Rajput wrote:

>       The next task is to run coccinelle on the kernel sources. You will find documentation on how to set up
>       and run coccinelle in the kernel documentation.
>
> I suggest you run coccinelle on the latest kernel source, v5.9-rc1.
>
> Lukas
>
> Hello,
>
> I ran the coccinelle, I am attaching the output in a google document. Please have a look and let me know the
> further steps:
> Document link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahWouti1FTenrIL92Ra6JXYlWW-9j4KK8qVdh4VvEr0/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Jay Rajput

Okay, all good. The task in this mentorship is to make CodeChecker import
the results from coccinelle into the UI.

Look at:
https://github.com/Ericsson/codechecker/tree/master/tools/report-converter

If you can write a first simple report-converter for coccinelle and your
prototype shows that you understand what needs to be done, we can devise a
plan to make a full-fledged proper implementation with documentation,
tests etc. If the plan is solid, I am happy to mentor you through these
tasks.
If your implementation works, the rough workflow should be:

make coccicheck > coccicheck_output
report-converter -o coccicheck_report -t coccinelle coccicheck_output
CodeChecker server &
CodeChecker store ./coccicheck_report -n linux

Then, we should see the coccinelle findings nicely presented in the UI.

Of course, it might be possible to modify coccinelle, provide parameters
to the build target to simplify the parser to be implemented in
CodeChecker.

If that is not clear, we go back one step in the introduction process of
the task.

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Community Bridge Klever Project
@ 2020-08-24 17:53                     ` Jay Rajput
From: Jay Rajput @ 2020-08-24 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, linux-kernel-mentees

> Okay, all good. The task in this mentorship is to make CodeChecker import
> the results from coccinelle into the UI.
>
> Look at:
> https://github.com/Ericsson/codechecker/tree/master/tools/report-converter
>
> If you can write a first simple report-converter for coccinelle and your
> prototype shows that you understand what needs to be done, we can devise a
> plan to make a full-fledged proper implementation with documentation,
> tests etc. If the plan is solid, I am happy to mentor you through these
> tasks.
> If your implementation works, the rough workflow should be:
>
> make coccicheck > coccicheck_output
> report-converter -o coccicheck_report -t coccinelle coccicheck_output
> CodeChecker server &
> CodeChecker store ./coccicheck_report -n linux
>
> Then, we should see the coccinelle findings nicely presented in the UI.
>
> Of course, it might be possible to modify coccinelle, provide parameters
> to the build target to simplify the parser to be implemented in
> CodeChecker.
>
> If that is not clear, we go back one step in the introduction process of
> the task.

Hello Lukas,

I have looked into the code for report checker and I have devised the
workflow and plan for extracting the errors in the document below:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hbo4REffUS6IN2KzAKB-zAIlvUGO43Rx4adzVnG6HwM/edit?usp=sharing

For the prototype, I would make a basic parser that could extract the error
files from the coccinelle output and display it, is that correct? If there
is something more please let me know

Thanks and Regards
Jay Rajput

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Community Bridge Klever Project
@ 2020-08-24 18:04                       ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-08-24 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rajput; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 7:53 PM Jay Rajput <jay24rajput@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Okay, all good. The task in this mentorship is to make CodeChecker import
>> the results from coccinelle into the UI.
>>
>> Look at:
>> https://github.com/Ericsson/codechecker/tree/master/tools/report-converter
>>
>> If you can write a first simple report-converter for coccinelle and your
>> prototype shows that you understand what needs to be done, we can devise a
>> plan to make a full-fledged proper implementation with documentation,
>> tests etc. If the plan is solid, I am happy to mentor you through these
>> tasks.
>> If your implementation works, the rough workflow should be:
>>
>> make coccicheck > coccicheck_output
>> report-converter -o coccicheck_report -t coccinelle coccicheck_output
>> CodeChecker server &
>> CodeChecker store ./coccicheck_report -n linux
>>
>> Then, we should see the coccinelle findings nicely presented in the UI.
>>
>> Of course, it might be possible to modify coccinelle, provide parameters
>> to the build target to simplify the parser to be implemented in
>> CodeChecker.
>>
>> If that is not clear, we go back one step in the introduction process of
>> the task.
>

> Hello Lukas,
>
> I have looked into the code for report checker and I have devised the workflow and plan for extracting the errors in the document below:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hbo4REffUS6IN2KzAKB-zAIlvUGO43Rx4adzVnG6HwM/edit?usp=sharing
>
> For the prototype, I would make a basic parser that could extract the error files from the coccinelle output and display it, is that correct? If there is something more please let me know

Show that you can program that parser properly in CodeChecker and
share your branch on github to test it.

I am quite sure you did not look at the code yet; your proposal is
just abstract. If you would have looked at the code, you would know
much more specific which data structure is required for CodeChecker to
store it properly in the database.

Lukas