linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-01  2:48 Fernando Dammous
From: Fernando Dammous @ 1999-10-01  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux LVM msede

Hi all,

 I would like help from the more experts in this matter, because I fear that I can in some way to lose or to corrupt my FS under LVM.

LVM 0.7 is installed (built into the kernel, which is still in the version 2.0.36) and working perfectly, with the root filesystem and swap in a LV (boot with initrd).

Now, I would like to install the devfs and mainly the raw-io.

Can I install them in a kernel 2.0.36, which is already patched with LVM?

Should I apply the patches in which order (first devfs, later the raw-io, or vice versa)?

I intend to install Oracle8 using raw-io.
The devfs isn't so important for me (should it be ?).

If anyone knows about restrictions or some clues I would thank a lot.

Thanks in advance

Fernando

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs
@ 1999-10-03 13:06 Daniel Whicker
From: Daniel Whicker @ 1999-10-03 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

At 02:43 AM 10/3/99 , Harald Milz wrote:
>Drew Smith <drew@winterland.mainland.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >       IBM's ADSM(*) (well, TSM now, thanks to Tivoli) uses raw logical
> > volumes on a fairly native level as storage pools, etc.  I'm curious,
> > having never looked into raw IO under Linux, whether it's the same
> > principles - and, that said, whether or not IBM will be porting the TSM
> > server to Linux?

   This is a bit off topic, buy hey.  ADSM (TSM) actually gives you the
option of using either files or raw i/o.  I don't see that there would be
any problems with a Linux port of the server.  They could simply disable
the ability to use raw i/o for your disk storage pools, log volumes, and db
volumes.  What may pose a problem is the amount of disk space required for
a significant ADSM server.  If you're looking at a half terabyte or more of
disks, you may run into the limit of Linux major/minor numbers for SCSI
disks.  (Btw: I'm unclear on whether the devfs patch resolves this?)
									-Daniel
		Daniel Whicker  (heimdall@mail.org)