linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Problem with partially activate logical volume
@ 2022-07-25 14:48 Ken Bass
From: Ken Bass @ 2022-07-25 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

(fwiw: I am new to this list, so please bear with me.)

Background: I have a very large (20TB) logical volume consisting of 3
drives. One of those drives unexpectedloy died (isn't that always the case
:-)). The drive that failed happened to be the last PV. So I am assuming
that there is still 2/3 of the data still intact and, to some extent,
recoverable. Although, apparently the ext4 fs is not recognised.

I activated the LV partially (via -P). But running any utility on that (eg:
dumpe2fs, e2fsck, ...) I get many of these  in dmesg:

"Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0, logical block xxxxxxx, async page read."
The thing is, the xxxxxxx block is on the missing drive/pv.

I have also tried some recovery software, but eventually get these same
messages, and the data recovered is not really useful.

Please help! How can I get passed that dmesg error, and move on. 14TB
recovered is better than 0.

TIA
ken

* Re: [linux-lvm] Problem with partially activate logical volume
@ 2022-07-26  8:50 ` Roger James
From: Roger James @ 2022-07-26  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Try https://www.linuxsysadmins.com/recover-a-deleted-physical-volume/?amp

@ 2022-07-27 10:49   ` Roger Heflin
From: Roger Heflin @ 2022-07-27 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

I don't believe that is going to work.

His issue is that the filesystem is refusing to work because of the
missing data.

man debugfs

It will let you manually look at the metadata and structures of the
ext2/3/4 fs.  You will likely need to use the "-c" option.

It will be very manual and you should probably read up on the fs
structure a bit.

A data recovery company could get most of the data back, but they
charge 5k-10k per TB, so likely close to 100k US$.

And the issues will be that 1/3 of the metadata was on the missing
disk, and some of the data was on the missing disk.

I was able to do debugfs /dev/sda2  (my /boot) and do an ls and list
out the files and then do a dump <filename> /tmp/junk.out and copy out
that file.

So the issue will be writing up a script to do lses and find all of
the files and dump all of the files to someplace else.

@ 2022-07-27 11:26     ` Roger James
From: Roger James @ 2022-07-27 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

The procedure outlined should at least get you back to a state where the lv
is consistent but with blank sectors where the data is missing. I would
suggest using dd to make a backup partition image. Then you can either work
on that or the original to mend the fs.

@ 2022-07-27 19:56 ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2022-07-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Ken Bass

Dne 25. 07. 22 v 16:48 Ken Bass napsal(a):
> (fwiw: I am new to this list, so please bear with me.)
>
> Background: I have a very large (20TB) logical volume consisting of 3 drives.
> One of those drives unexpectedloy died (isn't that always the case :-)). The
> drive that failed happened to be the last PV. So I am assuming that there is
> still 2/3 of the data still intact and, to some extent, recoverable. Although,
> apparently the ext4 fs is not recognised.
>
> I activated the LV partially (via -P). But running any utility on that (eg:
> dumpe2fs, e2fsck, ...) I get many of these  in dmesg:
>
> "Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0, logical block xxxxxxx, async page read."  The
> thing is, the xxxxxxx block is on the missing drive/pv.
>
> I have also tried some recovery software, but eventually get these same
> messages, and the data recovered is not really useful.
>
> Please help! How can I get passed that dmesg error, and move on. 14TB
> recovered is better than 0.

Loosing such a large portion of device is always going to be a BIG problem.
Filesystem spreads metadata all over the place -  ExtX is somewhat better then
BTree based FS like  XFS,BTRFS and may give you lot of your data back.

But that's why people should never underestimate how important is to keep
reasonable fresh backups of their data - otherwise sooner or later there comes
lesson like this one.

What you could try is to 'add' new PV to VG and use space for taking snapshot
of your LV you want to repair - but this is somewhat complicated as you need
to 'fix' VG first - which would ideally need to have some size of storage you
just lost - but this gives you then fairly easy way forward.
(one way to do this is to use even 'virtual' storage over the loop back device
- but that's for likely skilled admin.)

Lvm2 partial activation is designed to be used in a way to ACTIVATE LV - and
copy the content to better/safe/secure location and there start to recover the
storage.

Repairing storage in-place is usually straight road to hell - as there could
be numerous way of recovery to try - but if your 1st. try actually destroys
data even more, you can't retry with different strategy.

So depending on how much money and time you want to put into recovery of your
data there are several different strategies possible  - considering storage
space is relatively 'cheap' if your are data are really important.

Regards

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Problem with partially activate logical volume
@ 2022-08-03 21:31       ` Ken Bass
From: Ken Bass @ 2022-08-03 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

That's pretty much it. Whenever any app attempts to read a block from the
missing drive, I get the "Buffer I/O error" message. So, even though my
recovery apps can scan the LV, marking blocks on the last drive as
missing/unknown/etc., they can't display any recovered data - which I know
does exist. Looking at raw data from the apps' scans, I can see directory
entries, as well as files. I'm sure the inodes and bitmaps are still there
for some of these, I just can't really reverse engineer and follow them
through. But isn't that what the apps are supposed to do?

As for debugfs: pretty much the same issue: in order to use it, I need to
open the fs. But that (in debugfs) fails as well. So it can't help much.
Unless I'm missing something about debugfs.

The one thing I haven't tried is to use vgreduce to remove the missing PV;
but that will also remove the LV as well, which is why I haven't tried it
yet.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but it takes a long time (days) to clone,
then scan 16Tb...

So, please any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as well as needed.

ken

(I know: No backup; got burned; it hurts; and I will now always have
backups. 'Nuf said.)

@ 2022-08-04 11:07         ` Roger Heflin
From: Roger Heflin @ 2022-08-04 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

fsck might be able to fix it enough that debugfs and/or mount works,
but it may also eliminate all the data, but since you have a clone and
no data it is probably worth a shot.

fsck -f -y   will either get you some data or not and make you have to
clone from the copy if you have something else to  try.

Did you try the "-c" option on debug fs?

@ 2022-08-05 12:03         ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2022-08-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Ken Bass

Dne 03. 08. 22 v 23:31 Ken Bass napsal(a):

> That's pretty much it. Whenever any app attempts to read a block from the
> missing drive, I get the "Buffer I/O error" message. So, even though my
> recovery apps can scan the LV, marking blocks on the last drive as
> missing/unknown/etc., they can't display any recovered data - which I know
> does exist. Looking at raw data from the apps' scans, I can see directory
> entries, as well as files. I'm sure the inodes and bitmaps are still there for
> some of these, I just can't really reverse engineer and follow them through.
> But isn't that what the apps are supposed to do?

As mentioned by my previous email you shall *NOT* fix the partially activated
device in-place - this will not lead to good result.

User should copy the content to some valid storage device with the same size
as he tries to recover.

You can 'partially' activate device with  "zero"  filler instead of "error"
(see the  lvm.conf setting:     missing_stripe_filler="...") - this way you
will just 'read' zero for missing parts.

Your another 2nd. option is to 'correct' the VG by filling  missing PV with a
new one with preferable zeroed content - so you will not read 'random' garbage
in places this new PV will fill the space after your missing PV.
Although even in this case - I'd still run  'fsck' on the snapshot created on
top of such LV to give you another chance of recovery if you will pick a wrong
answer  (since fsck might be 'quite' interactive when doing such large-scale
repair)

> Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but it takes a long time (days) to clone, then
> scan 16Tb...
>
> So, please any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as well as needed.
>
> ken
>
> (I know: No backup; got burned; it hurts; and I will now always have backups.
> 'Nuf said.)

Before you run your 'fsck' create a snapshot of your newly created 'backup'
and make all the repair actions in the snapshots.

Once you are 'satisfied' with 'repaired'  filesystem you can then 'merge'
snapshot back to your origin and use it.

Regards

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Problem with partially activate logical volume
@ 2022-08-05 12:42           ` Ken Bass
From: Ken Bass @ 2022-08-05 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kabelac; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development