Linux-MIPS Archive on lore.kernel.org
* MIPS: bug: gettimeofday syscall broken on CI20 board?
@ 2019-11-07 16:21 H. Nikolaus Schaller
From: H. Nikolaus Schaller @ 2019-11-07 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincenzo Frascino
  Cc: Ralf Baechle, Paul Burton, MIPS Creator CI20 Development,
	Discussions about the Letux Kernel, linux-mips,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi,
I am trying to run v5.4-rc6 on the CI20 board (jz4780) and it
is almost ok. Except one strange thing.

If I install a v4.19.81 kernel I can initialize the
ethernet interface and dhclient works.

If I install a v5.4-rc6 kernel on exactly the same
rootfs dhclient fails with

root@letux:~# dhclient
../../../../lib/isc/unix/time.c:200: Operation not permitted
root@letux:~#

I have done some strace and the first significant difference
is that with v5.4-rc6 there is no gettimeofday syscall.

Another symptom pointing in the same direction is that
after manually assigning an IP address I can run ping
but get strange time values.

So it may be that

24640f233b46 mips: Add support for generic vDSO

did break gettimeofday when used with latest Debian Stretch
libraries. I tried to git revert but there are conflicts.

Just a side-note: both kernels work with Debian Jessie,
which likely has an older gettimeofday wrapper that
is not influenced by some subtle change.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus Schaller

only message in thread, back to index