* Re: brcmfmac: don't warn user if requested nvram fails
@ 2017-04-06 12:14 Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-04-06 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: Arend Van Spriel, linux-wireless

Hi,

I noticed your patch-series on the lwn.net kernel page,
and I took a peek :)

I don't think that this patch:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mcgrof/linux-next.git/commit/?h=20170329-driver-data-v2-try3&id=3968dd3031d1ff7e7be4acfb810948c70c2d4490

Is a good idea, specifically the "do not warn" part,
although the brcmfmac driver will indeed try to continue
without a nvram file, in my experience it almost all
the time will not work properly without the nvram file.

Arend, should we maybe just make the missing nvram file
a fatal error ?

###

While on the subject of nvram file loading, I want to make
some changes to how brcmfmac does this, for pcie
devices I want it to first try:

brcmfmac-4xxx-sdio-<pci-subsys-vid>-<pci-subsys-pid>.txt
and only if that is not present fallback to
brcmfmac-4xxx-sdio.txt, so that we can include the
brcmfmac-4xxx-sdio-<pci-subsys-vid>-<pci-subsys-pid>.txt
in the linux-firmware repo and have things just work.

Likewise for sdio devices on devicetree platforms
first try brcmfmac-4xxx-sdio-<model>.txt.

And for sdio devices on ACPI/x86 systems I want to
do something similar too.

Luis, do you think it would be a good idea to add
.optional_postfix member to driver_data_req_params
for this? I believe other sdio based wifi devices
may want to do the same, or should this be handled
in the driver by doing 2 driver_data_request_async
calls (the 2nd when the 1st fails) ?

Regards,

Hans