* Re: Uncle Sam Wants YOU!
@ 2001-07-02 15:09 Jesse Pollard
From: Jesse Pollard @ 2001-07-02 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jroland, jesse, kmw, J Sloan; +Cc: linux-kernel

"Jim Roland" <jroland@roland.net>:
> From: "Jesse Pollard" <jesse@cats-chateau.net>

Better re-read the fine print on the "fair-use" statement. BOTH DSL and
Cable, or dialup (New Orleans at least) will disconnect you if you run ANY
unattended operation (if they determine it IS unattended). No daemon services.
No routing/NAT (unless they do it). No remote login. No mail. DHCP reconfig
between 4 and 8 hours (or whenever they choose to).

They will let you plug in, but will not provide any support (even TCP/IP is
not assured).

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil

[parent not found: <fa.eu2vnbv.278lg4@ifi.uio.no>]
[parent not found: <20010701131254.A9116@tabris.domedata.com>]
* Re: Uncle Sam Wants YOU!
@ 2001-07-01 17:35 Adam Schrotenboer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Adam Schrotenboer @ 2001-07-01 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

Kurt Maxwell Weber <kmw@rowsw.com>:

 > I'm going to take a break from lurking to point out that I am not
 > dissatisfied with Windows.  It has its uses, as do Linux (and NetBSD, and
 > Solaris, and the other operating systems I have installed at home).
Frankly,
 > I don't have a problem with Microsoft.  If I don't like their
product, I'm
 > free to choose not to use it.

So as a user you are free to not use M$ products.
What if you are IT. Then you do not have a choice.

I have been working as a Computer Tech for approx 5 years.
When I first started (before that period actually, I speak of my Jr high
years)
I liked MS, if only b/c it was better than the other Intel solutions
(This is approx 1993 or 1994). When OS/2 came out, I thought it was
a joke (My father had it on his computer, I couldn't even get the calculator
to run).

When Win95 came out, I finally got to hate M$. Then I discovered Linux
and now I have a great dislike for M$ and their products.

I appreciate that as a user you may have a choice. As a tech or MIS/IT,
I don't have
a choice. As such I believe that I have been "damaged" by M$.

* Uncle Sam Wants YOU!
@ 2001-07-01  1:36 Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2001-07-01  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The two branches of the USA that pertain have now confirmed that Microsoft
is a problem requiring an externally asserted solution, but the judicial
branch has rejected the specific solution proposed by the executive
branch. Three other proposed remedies are mentioned in the Washington Post
today. One involves allowing developers access to Microsoft sourcecode
equally. One involves allowing computer vendors to configure the Microsoft
software as they see fit. The third involves unbundling software from the
OS. Gates had stated, correctly, that the split of the company proposed by
DOJ did not reflect any understanding of the software business. Looking at
the three subsequent proposals, it appears to me that this problem is
still searching for a solution. These three recent superficialities also
do not appear to be the ideas of people who know how these things work.
Meanwhile, Microsoft whole-heartedly engages in a depraved attack on the
copyright rights of individuals, making it delightfully clear that the
problem remains unsolved, and that Microsoft's general degradation of the
computer world continues unabated.

                        HELLO???????

                    ANY GEEKS IN HERE?

        ANY OF YOU TURKEYS GOOD WITH PROBLEM-SOLVING?

My hastily concocted proposed solution remains at...

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/install/clienux/interim/amicus_curae

                        WHERE'S YOURS?

Rick Hohensee
www.cLIeNUX.com  Who do you want to piss off today?