* Airo Net 340 PCMCIA WiFi Card trouble
@ 2003-09-02 10:22 Martin Willemoes Hansen
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen @ 2003-09-02 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi! Im getting an error when using my Airo PCMCIA WiFi card with the
2.4.20, 2.4.21, 2.4.22 kernel.
It works when im using 2.4.19 and lower.

The error message:
cardmgr[19]: starting, version is 3.2.4
cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0ffff: excluding 0xc0000-0xcbfff

After looking a bit at the mailinglist archive I see that there is some
trouble with the Airo drivers. Will there be a fix for the 2.4.x series?
Will it be fixed out of the box in 2.6.x?

I hope you can help.

The card im using is a Cisco Airo Net 340

PS. Im not subscribed to this list, so please reply to my email address.

PPS. Happy hacking!
--
Martin Willemoes Hansen

E-Mail	mwh@sysrq.dk	Website	mwh.sysrq.dk
IRC     MWH, freenode.net

* Re: Airo Net 340 PCMCIA WiFi Card trouble
@ 2003-09-02 10:36 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2003-09-02 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Willemoes Hansen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:22:30PM +0200, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:
> Hi! Im getting an error when using my Airo PCMCIA WiFi card with the
> 2.4.20, 2.4.21, 2.4.22 kernel.
> It works when im using 2.4.19 and lower.
>
> The error message:
> cardmgr[19]: starting, version is 3.2.4
> cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0ffff: excluding 0xc0000-0xcbfff

This isn't an error message as such.  It's the result of checking whether
the memory in the specified range is actually available.

Can you describe the problem you're experiencing in any more detail
please?

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux

* Re: Airo Net 340 PCMCIA WiFi Card trouble
@ 2003-09-02 10:59   ` Martin Willemoes Hansen
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen @ 2003-09-02 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 12:36, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:22:30PM +0200, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:
> > Hi! Im getting an error when using my Airo PCMCIA WiFi card with the
> > 2.4.20, 2.4.21, 2.4.22 kernel.
> > It works when im using 2.4.19 and lower.
> >
> > The error message:
> > cardmgr[19]: starting, version is 3.2.4
> > cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0ffff: excluding 0xc0000-0xcbfff
>
> This isn't an error message as such.  It's the result of checking whether
> the memory in the specified range is actually available.
>
> Can you describe the problem you're experiencing in any more detail
> please?

Sure, when I boot my laptop with any of the above mentioned kernels I
get the above message and the laptop freezes and stops whatever its
doing.

I will have to reset the machine and boot without having the card
inserted. When I insert the card after successfull boot the laptop
freezes.

If I can provided more details please ask me.

--

@ 2003-09-02 15:53   ` Martin Willemoes Hansen
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen @ 2003-09-02 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 12:36, Russell King wrote:
> Can you describe the problem you're experiencing in any more detail
> please?

Umh a little update it is in fact not a 340 card I have it is a Cisco
Airo Net 350 PCMCIA card. Sorry about that mistake.
--

@ 2003-09-03  3:09     ` tonildg
From: tonildg @ 2003-09-03  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Willemoes Hansen; +Cc: Russell King, linux-kernel

 >The error message:
 >cardmgr[19]: starting, version is 3.2.4
 >cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0ffff: excluding >0xc0000-0xcbfff

  I had the same problem you have (but in other range of memory and with
another wireless card) and it started too with 2.4.19.

 I solved it testing with memory ranges in the config.opts file that
comes with your pcmcia_cs version.

   You have to play with them until one fits and boots. "I had to use
windows to see the memory adresses my cardbus used." Usually, when
comenting the "include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff" solves it.

However this problem is not caused by the Airo driver. And, (i think) it
is not a  kernel problem. Maybe a pcmcia_cs one.

@ 2003-09-03 12:23       ` Martin Willemoes Hansen
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen @ 2003-09-03 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tonildg; +Cc: Russell King, linux-kernel

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 05:09, tonildg wrote:
>  >The error message:
>  >cardmgr[19]: starting, version is 3.2.4
>  >cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0ffff: excluding >0xc0000-0xcbfff
>
>   I had the same problem you have (but in other range of memory and with
> another wireless card) and it started too with 2.4.19.
>
>  I solved it testing with memory ranges in the config.opts file that
> comes with your pcmcia_cs version.
>
>    You have to play with them until one fits and boots. "I had to use
> windows to see the memory adresses my cardbus used."

Umh can I check it out on Linux as well? And how? I can boot correctly
with 2.4.19.

> Usually, when
> comenting the "include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff" solves it.

Yes when I comment that include out I can boot but the card is not
properly intitialized, here is the errors I get:

airo: register interrupt 0 failed, rc -16
airo_cs: RequestConfiguration: Operation succeeded

cardmgr[20]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily
unavailable.

> However this problem is not caused by the Airo driver. And, (i think) it
> is not a  kernel problem. Maybe a pcmcia_cs one.

Okay so the kernel changed something and is now using that memory area?

--

@ 2003-09-03 14:36         ` tonildg
       [not found]           ` <1067096661.214.35.camel@hugoboss.sysrq.dk>
From: tonildg @ 2003-09-03 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Willemoes Hansen; +Cc: Russell King, linux-kernel

Hi again, read below...

> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 05:09, tonildg wrote:
>
>> >The error message:
>> >cardmgr[19]: starting, version is 3.2.4
>> >cs: memory probe 0x0c0000-0x0ffff: excluding >0xc0000-0xcbfff
>>
>>  I had the same problem you have (but in other range of memory and with
>>another wireless card) and it started too with 2.4.19.
>>
>> I solved it testing with memory ranges in the config.opts file that
>>comes with your pcmcia_cs version.
>>
>>   You have to play with them until one fits and boots. "I had to use
>>windows to see the memory adresses my cardbus used."

< Umh can I check it out on Linux as well? And how? I can boot correctly
> with 2.4.19.

  I had to look to the windows cardbus device properties to get it work,
but i think that by playing with some values you can get it working too
without needing that crappy OS.

   My  Excuse: The reason i looked into windows whas that i was setting
up  a laptop whith the host_ap module support and i needed it working
for giving a wireless talk and  had no time to play. :-)

>>Usually, when
>>comenting the "include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff" solves it.
>

> Yes when I comment that include out I can boot but the card is not
> properly intitialized, here is the errors I get:
>
> airo: register interrupt 0 failed, rc -16
> airo_cs: RequestConfiguration: Operation succeeded
>
> cardmgr[20]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily
> unavailable.

    I can only give you this link where the problem is referenced and
have some instructions to guess wich memory addresses to reserve for the
cardbus.
  http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.5

>>However this problem is not caused by the Airo driver. And, (i think) it
>>is not a  kernel problem. Maybe a pcmcia_cs one.
>

> Okay so the kernel changed something and is now using that memory area?

    No. I think kernel does not change anything. Maybe is that the
kernel fits a region of memory originally reserved for the cardbus as is
defined in config.opts. Maybe because those new kernel are a few Kb
bigger than before one's.

    Remembering this thing makes me think that this "issue" is more a
pcmcia_cs thing than a kernel/driver one.

Hope it helps you or any other developer/list__member here.

PD: Excuse my poor english.

@ 2003-10-26  2:34             ` xcytame
From: xcytame @ 2003-10-26  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Willemoes Hansen; +Cc: linux-kernel

Well, we had some advance :-)

I have really no clue about what can cause your system getting no interrupt
free for pcmcia.

>>airo: register interrupt 0 failed, rc -16

Googling for "pcmcia-cs register interrupt 0 failed" i found this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/3/2003/07/4/48965 where it
points to a ISA related issue.

>Possable sollution.
>
>I had a similar problem.
>
>It seems the Aironet cards is 16bit (not Cardbus) you must sellect ISA
>support in the kernel for the cards to be recognized.
>(Under General setup)
>
>Hope it helps.
>
>Regards,
>Pieter

If it does not help you, i  can only point you to the pcmcia-cs documentation
about interrupts at

 http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.2

hope it helps. ( tell us please :-)  )

@ 2003-11-29 16:14               ` Martin Willemoes Hansen
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen @ 2003-11-29 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xcytame; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 03:34, xcytame wrote:
> Well, we had some advance :-)
>
> I have really no clue about what can cause your system getting no interrupt
> free for pcmcia.
>
> >>airo: register interrupt 0 failed, rc -16
>
> Googling for "pcmcia-cs register interrupt 0 failed" i found this:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/3/2003/07/4/48965 where it
> points to a ISA related issue.

After enabling ISA in the kernel it worked like a charm :o)

Thank you.

The whole solution is:
	1. include memory 0xc0040000-0xc004ffff
	2. Enable ISA in kernel