* RE: What's in a name?
       [not found] <0d1395823170a13DTVMAIL8@smtp.cwctv.net>
@ 2003-01-10 18:42 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-01-10 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hell.Surfers; +Cc: vlad, jalvo, linux-kernel, rms

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:

> what was it compiled with ;-)))
>
> -- DM.

No doubt a gcc compiler. I built my house with a Stanley hammer
and a Skill saw. Neither Stanley nor Skill own the house (the
bank does).

There is no tradition of attributing ownership of any works
of any kind to tool makers.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

* Re: What's in a name?
@ 2003-01-10 18:57   ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2003-01-10 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:42:52 EST, "Richard B. Johnson" said:

> No doubt a gcc compiler. I built my house with a Stanley hammer
> and a Skill saw. Neither Stanley nor Skill own the house (the
> bank does).

Actually, *YOU* probably own the house.  What the bank has is a mortgage -
a promise by you that if you don't pay them, they *then* get to own the house.
Most banks try VERY hard to avoid actually owning houses.

This is actually somewhat germane, as it reflects back on the "GPL the
source after N units have been sold" business model, and code escrow, and
related thigns...
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: What's in a name?
@ 2003-01-11 19:53 ` Mark Mielke
From: Mark Mielke @ 2003-01-11 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clayton Weaver; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:31:04PM -0500, Clayton Weaver wrote:
> The whole thing has depended on gcc from day one,
> so I see no valid objection to prominently give GNU
> credit for providing a decent compiler and thus saving
> Linus the work of inventing that before he started on
> his kernel.

Actually, Linux depended on Linus Torvalds from day one, making Linux
a *very* apt name, if the argument is that credit should be attributed
to the primary contributory to Linux's success...

The GCC license says that it can be used to compile pretty much anything
anybody wants to. Richard Stallman gave up the right to claim credit for
projects that happen to use GCC, the instance he wrote the GPL, and the
LGPL.

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

* Re: What's in a name?
@ 2003-01-11  3:31 Clayton Weaver
From: Clayton Weaver @ 2003-01-11  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The whole thing has depended on gcc from day one,
so I see no valid objection to prominently give GNU
credit for providing a decent compiler and thus saving
Linus the work of inventing that before he started on
his kernel.

But most users simply don't care what it is called,
they only care whether it works.

I would guess that the name that gets used the most
informally is "Linux", simply because that is shorter
to type in email or Usenet messages than any of the
alternatives presented in this discussion. "Linux" is
thus the de facto standard name of the system,
regardless of who invented what parts of it and
who distributes it.

(It's kind of like a beer label. It could be any
brand in the world, but it's still just "beer" if
you're in a hurry.)

Regards,

Clayton Weaver
<mailto: cgweav@email.com>

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles
http://corp.mail.com/lavalife

* RE: What's in a name?
       [not found] <0b9ad5923170a13DTVMAIL1@smtp.cwctv.net>
@ 2003-01-10 18:36 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-01-10 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hell.Surfers; +Cc: vlad, jalvo, linux-kernel, rms

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:

> what early distribution? grep gpl and lgpl...
>
> -- DM.

Yggdrasl (or however you spell it). Most binary files have
the date of Feb 26, 1996. Many text files have the date of
July 11, 1995. I have sources, many with the dates of
Aug 31, 1992:

-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin          4502 Aug 31  1992 CHANGES
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin          1658 Aug 31  1992 README
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin          2029 Aug 31  1992 brac.c
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin         11258 Aug 31  1992 ch.c
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin          3534 Aug 31  1992 charset.c
[SNIPPED...]

In those days very few persons even heard of GPL.

These are the only gpl or GPL strings found in any binaries.

sub showGPL {
last if (/^{END OF GPL COPYRIGHT}$/) ;
last if (/^{END OF GPL CONDITIONS}$/) ;
    &showGPL unless $QUIET ;
{END OF GPL COPYRIGHT}
{END OF GPL CONDITIONS}
   To appear in SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design
  label .about.gpl3 -text "Pulic License (GPL)"

Note that "Public" is even spelled incorrectly!

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

* Re: What's in a name?
@ 2003-01-09 17:48     ` Jesse Pollard
From: Jesse Pollard @ 2003-01-09 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root, vlad; +Cc: 'John Alvord', linux-kernel, rms

On Thursday 09 January 2003 10:11 am, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Vlad@Vlad.geekizoid.com wrote:
> > And in that same period, look at Linux, and then look at Hurd.  Hurd even
> > has the advantage of using giant chunks of Linux code, but it still is
> > basically useless.
> >
> > Why should Linux be refered to as GNU/Linux because of tools, and yet
> > Hurd doesn't give credit where credit is due?  RMS has done more to hurt
> > GNU with his current stance on the matter than Microsoft ever could.
> > He's getting annoying, too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Scott
>
> Damn. This is getting tried and it doesn't seem to "go away".
>
> Anybody remember this Copyright notice??  Most ALL of the
> early Linux Distributions contained programs with this
> notice:
>
> /*
>  * Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
>  * All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
>  * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
>  * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
>  * advertising materials, and other materials related to such
>  * distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
>  * by the University of California, Berkeley.  The name of the
>  * University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
>  * from this software without specific prior written permission.
>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
>  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
>  * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>  */
>
> #ifndef lint
> char copyright[] =
> "@(#) Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.\n\
>  All rights reserved.\n";
> #endif /* not lint */
>

> ...however.  Something happened so that this code was lifted
> "whole cloth" into some later distributions that contained
> the GNU License notice. By some unknown mystery, the embeded
> copyright notice was eliminated as well. However, much of the
> code remained the same. In some little-used programs, all the
> code, including the bug, remained the same.
>
> If I had anything to do with so-called GNU, I'd keep my mouth
> shut so this wholesale appropriation of intellectual property
> was not investigated.
>
> Here is an early distribution of Linux:
>
> Script started on Thu Jan  9 10:55:02 2003
> # cd /usr/bin
> # strings * | grep Regents
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
[snip]
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1991 The Regents of the University of California.
> # cd /sbin
> # strings * | grep Regents
> strings: control: No such file or directory
> strings: discard: No such file or directory
> The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> strings: server: No such file or directory
> The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> strings: sysinit: No such file or directory
> # exit
> Script done on Thu Jan  9 10:57:53 2003
>

> So much for the absolute bullshit that GNU started Linux and that
> there is somehow a GNU/Linux.  Most all of the early distributions
> used programs ported from BSD. The Linux-BSD emulation was so good,
> thanks to Linus and others, that most programs needed to only be
> recompiled.
>
> That, ladies and gentlemen, is the true history of the "Linux Operating
> System" with all of the components that RMS insists are his, actually
> coming from the University of California, Berkeley.
>
> Don't be bambozzled by the persons who will re-write history to glorify
> their accomplishments. Saying something over-and-over again doesn't
> make it true. Facts stand alone. They only need to be noted. Bullshit
> needs repeating.

I seem to remember that there was also a request from the University of
California to remove that code too. That was when they started charging
for the BSD distribution, and before the NetBSD got out, which also
had to rewrite/replace the code. Guess what got used...

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil

* Re: What's in a name?
@ 2003-01-09 16:51     ` venom
From: venom @ 2003-01-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard B. Johnson; +Cc: vlad, 'John Alvord', linux-kernel, rms

Yes, for binaries most of the time we even did not need to use the
/usr/lib/libbsd.a compatibility library
and the /usr/include/bsd/*.h compatibility includes
(just ash was needing that) coming with libc4 and libc5 distribution for
compatibility pursues.

Then also the boot system was BSD like, and now we see this prosecuted and
evolved in Slackware.

But please, let's stop this thread.

We talked about GPLed modules and binary only modules,
and none even considered implication brought
by the new module interface with run queue, that is an important
point in this discussion.

We talked just about names, names, names, and again names.
I do not expect in every thread on lkml to see some good contribution
(not just code, but concept, discussions, and so on),
but this specific one is just like
"the wall I build with my belief is higher than your".

And the few smart mails ususally got ignored.
There is no interess in this for me.

Luigi

@ 2003-01-09 16:11   ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-01-09 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vlad; +Cc: 'John Alvord', linux-kernel, rms

@(#) Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1989 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1985, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1989 The Regents of the University of California.
Based on BSD gprof, copyright 1983 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1986 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1983, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 by NCEMRSoft and Copyright (c) 1985, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
@(#) Copyright (c) 1983, 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
[...]
[...]