From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: BK Licence: Protocols and Research
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:56:15 +0100	[thread overview]

Larry McVoy wrote:
> If you managed to stay close then we'd put digital signatures
> into the protocol to prevent your clone from interoperating with BK.

If this hypothetical scenario were to occur, I believe that reverse
engineering specific parts of the software, for the specific purpose
of getting the signature key, in order to use it specifically for
interoperating with the software, would be allowed regardless of
license here in Europe, and perhaps in the USA too.

This, however, is not legal advice and I would certainly consult a
lawyer for such a sensitive question if I wanted to do that.  I have
read that the penalties for misinterpreting include imprisonment in
the USA.

-- Jamie