* RE: Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)
@ 2002-10-06  7:33 Feldman, Scott
From: Feldman, Scott @ 2002-10-06  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ben Greear'; +Cc: linux-kernel, 'netdev@oss.sgi.com'

> I believe I have figured out why the e1000 crashed my machine
> after .5 - 1 hours:  The NIC was over-heating.  I measured
> one of the NICs after the machine crashed with an external
> (cheap) temp probe.  It registered right at 50 degrees C, and
> this was about 15-30 seconds after it crashed.

Ben, please send lspci -x on the hot nic.

-scott

* RE: Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)
@ 2002-10-15  2:20 Feldman, Scott
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Feldman, Scott @ 2002-10-15  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ben Greear'; +Cc: linux-kernel, 'netdev@oss.sgi.com'

> Here is the lspci information, both -x and -vv.  This is with
> two of the e1000 single-port NICS side-by-side.  I have also
> strapped a P-IV CPU fan on top of the two cards to blow some
> air over them....running tests now to see if that actually
> helps anything.  If it does, I'll be sure to send you a picture :)

Ben, I checked the datasheet for the part shown in the lspci dump, and it
shows an operating temperature of 0-55 degrees C.  You said you measured 50
degrees C, so you're within the safe range.  Did the fans help?

Here's the datasheet:
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/data_sheets/
pro1000mt_sa.pdf

-scott

* Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)
@ 2002-10-06  3:38 Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2002-10-06  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, 'netdev@oss.sgi.com'

I believe I have figured out why the e1000 crashed my machine
after .5 - 1 hours:  The NIC was over-heating.  I measured one of
the NICs after the machine crashed with an external (cheap) temp
probe.  It registered right at 50 degrees C, and this was about 15-30
seconds after it crashed.

The dual e1000 NIC I have seems to run much cooler, and has been
running at 430Mbps bi-directional on both ports for about 6 hours now
with no obvious problems.

So, I'm going to try to purchase some heat sinks and glue them onto
the e1000 server nics, to see if that fixes the problem.

Hope this proves useful to anyone experiencing similar strange
crashes!

Thanks,
Ben

--