* [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
@ 2005-12-13 18:56 Herbert Poetzl
From: Herbert Poetzl @ 2005-12-13 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton, LKML; +Cc: Linux-VServer ML

Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.

Short Overview:

Linux-VServer, a soft partitioning concept based on Contexts
(Process, Network and Filesystem Isolation) which permits
the creation of many independent Virtual Private Servers (VPS)
that run simultaneously on a single physical server at full
speed, efficiently sharing hardware resources.

A VPS provides an almost identical operating environment as
a conventional Linux Server. All services, such as ssh, mail,
Web and databases, can be started on such a VPS, without
(or in special cases with only minimal) modification, just
like on any real server.

The Project is following the kernel development very closely,
and provides Stable as well as Development patches for 2.6
and 2.4 vanilla kernels.

(more details can be found at http://linux-vserver.org/)

The patch is available here:
http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_rel26/v2.01/

For the lkml folks, the broken out version of the patch
is probably most interesting (if there is some detailed
interest, I'll comment on the patches ...)

http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_rel26/v2.01/split-2.6.14.3-vs2.01.tar.bz2
(IMHO too huge to attach them inline)

best,
Herbert

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
@ 2005-12-14 13:33 ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2005-12-14 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Poetzl; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton, LKML, Linux-VServer ML

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
> I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
> so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.

Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
thing to get all the code out in the open.

I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
environments.

--
All Rights Reversed

* Re: [Vserver] Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
@ 2005-12-14 14:38   ` Serge E. Hallyn
From: Serge E. Hallyn @ 2005-12-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vserver; +Cc: Herbert Poetzl, Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, LKML

Quoting Rik van Riel (riel@redhat.com):
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> > Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
> > I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
> > so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.
>
> Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
> virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
> thing to get all the code out in the open.
>
> I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
> in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
> environments.

Well a version for 2.6.15-rc2 is still at sf.net/projects/linuxjail.  I
haven't resubmitted to lkml in a long time because I haven't found or
implemented a better solution for the network virtualization, which
Christoph wasn't happy with.  The vserver ngnet or openvz networking may
be a good solution.  Additionally, the pid virtualization we've been
discussing (and which should be submitted soon) would remove the need
for the tasklookup patch, so bsdjail would reduce even further, to
network and simple access controls.

Note that I would prefer to see the full vserver in the kernel...

-serge

* Re: [Vserver] Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
@ 2005-12-14 16:47     ` Herbert Poetzl
From: Herbert Poetzl @ 2005-12-14 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge E. Hallyn; +Cc: vserver, Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, LKML

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 08:38:19AM -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Rik van Riel (riel@redhat.com):
> > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> > > Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
> > > I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
> > > so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.
> >
> > Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
> > virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
> > thing to get all the code out in the open.
> >
> > I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
> > in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
> > environments.
>
> Well a version for 2.6.15-rc2 is still at sf.net/projects/linuxjail.
> I haven't resubmitted to lkml in a long time because I haven't found
> or implemented a better solution for the network virtualization, which
> Christoph wasn't happy with. The vserver ngnet or openvz networking
> may be a good solution. Additionally, the pid virtualization we've
> been discussing (and which should be submitted soon) would remove the
> need for the tasklookup patch, so bsdjail would reduce even further,
> to network and simple access controls.

complete pid virtualization would be interesting for
migration and checkpointing too (not just isolation
and security), so I think that might be something of
interest for a broader audience ...

best,
Herbert

@ 2005-12-14 17:00       ` Kir Kolyshkin
From: Kir Kolyshkin @ 2005-12-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vserver; +Cc: Serge E. Hallyn, Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, LKML

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>>Additionally, the pid virtualization we've
>>been discussing (and which should be submitted soon) would remove the
>>need for the tasklookup patch, so bsdjail would reduce even further,
>>to network and simple access controls.
>>

>complete pid virtualization would be interesting for
>migration and checkpointing too (not just isolation
>and security), so I think that might be something of
>interest for a broader audience ...

Just to make sure everybody is aware:
pids are already virtualized in OpenVZ.
If you want to look at the code, it is available
from within diff-openvz-ve patch, see
http://ftp.openvz.org/kernel/broken-out/022stab053.1/

* Re: [Vserver] Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
@ 2005-12-14 19:25         ` Herbert Poetzl
From: Herbert Poetzl @ 2005-12-14 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kir Kolyshkin, Serge E. Hallyn
  Cc: vserver, Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, LKML

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 08:00:56PM +0300, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> >>Additionally, the pid virtualization we've
> >>been discussing (and which should be submitted soon) would remove the
> >>need for the tasklookup patch, so bsdjail would reduce even further,
> >>to network and simple access controls.
> >>

> >complete pid virtualization would be interesting for
> >migration and checkpointing too (not just isolation
> >and security), so I think that might be something of
> >interest for a broader audience ...
> >
> Just to make sure everybody is aware:
> pids are already virtualized in OpenVZ.
> If you want to look at the code, it is available
> from within diff-openvz-ve patch, see
> http://ftp.openvz.org/kernel/broken-out/022stab053.1/

Serge, Kir,

would be great if you both could provide a broken
out version of the pid virtualization for discussion

TIA,

@ 2005-12-14 23:40   ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2005-12-14 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik van Riel; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton, LKML, Linux-VServer ML

Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>

>>Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
>>I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
>>so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.
>

> Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
> virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
> thing to get all the code out in the open.
>
> I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
> in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
> environments.

Like many needs there are lots of solutions, none of which are perfect,
or at least without problems the competition says are important ;-) This
is one more thing to study, but it seems as though there is not an
overview of the various solutions for easy comparison.

This list is probably incomplete:
  linuxjail - BSD jail is the goal
  VMware - I use this for BSD machines
  xen - the last I looked ran Linux, not Windows or BSD unpatched
  UML - run Linux nicely
  VServer - news to me

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
@ 2005-12-15  3:33     ` Herbert Poetzl
From: Herbert Poetzl @ 2005-12-15  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen
  Cc: Rik van Riel, Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton, LKML, Linux-VServer ML

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 06:40:24PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
> >On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> >>Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
> >>I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
> >>so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.
> >
> >Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
> >virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
> >thing to get all the code out in the open.
> >
> >I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
> >in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
> >environments.
> >
> Like many needs there are lots of solutions, none of which are perfect,
> or at least without problems the competition says are important ;-) This
> is one more thing to study, but it seems as though there is not an
> overview of the various solutions for easy comparison.
>
> This list is probably incomplete:
>  linuxjail - BSD jail is the goal
>  VMware - I use this for BSD machines
>  xen - the last I looked ran Linux, not Windows or BSD unpatched
>  UML - run Linux nicely
>  VServer - news to me

free:				commercial:

Virtual Machine (Emulators/Simulators):
(allows for unmodified guest systems)

 - Bochs			 - VMware
 - QEMU				 - SoftPC
 - Hercules			 - VirtualPC
 - GXemul
 - UAE

Para Virtualization (Hypervisor)
(requires modified guest kernels, without HW support)

 - IBM Hypervisor		 - VMware ESX
 - Xen				 - TRANGO
 - UML

Kernel Isolation (Partitioning)
(does not support guest kernels at all)

 - Linux-VServer		 - Virtuozzo
 - FreeVPS
 - OpenVZ
 - linuxjails

best,
Herbert

PS: please add stuff where appropriate ...
(not considered to be a complete list)

@ 2005-12-15  9:10       ` Cedric Le Goater
From: Cedric Le Goater @ 2005-12-15  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vserver; +Cc: Bill Davidsen, Andrew Morton, Rik van Riel, Linus Torvalds, LKML

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 06:40:24PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>Rik van Riel wrote:

>>>Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
>>>virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
>>>thing to get all the code out in the open.
>>>
>>>I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
>>>in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
>>>environments.
>>>

>>Like many needs there are lots of solutions, none of which are perfect,
>>or at least without problems the competition says are important ;-) This
>>is one more thing to study, but it seems as though there is not an
>>overview of the various solutions for easy comparison.
>>
>>This list is probably incomplete:
>> linuxjail - BSD jail is the goal
>> VMware - I use this for BSD machines
>> xen - the last I looked ran Linux, not Windows or BSD unpatched
>> UML - run Linux nicely
>> VServer - news to me
>

> free:				commercial:
>
> Virtual Machine (Emulators/Simulators):
> (allows for unmodified guest systems)
>
>  - Bochs			 - VMware
>  - QEMU				 - SoftPC
>  - Hercules			 - VirtualPC
>  - GXemul
>  - UAE
>
> Para Virtualization (Hypervisor)
> (requires modified guest kernels, without HW support)
>
>  - IBM Hypervisor		 - VMware ESX
>  - Xen				 - TRANGO
>  - UML
>
> Kernel Isolation (Partitioning)
> (does not support guest kernels at all)
>
>  - Linux-VServer		 - Virtuozzo
>  - FreeVPS
>  - OpenVZ
>  - linuxjails
>
> best,
> Herbert
>
> PS: please add stuff where appropriate ...
> (not considered to be a complete list)

wikipedia has some interesting articles on this topic :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization

and more _stuff_ available here to complete Herbert list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

C.

* Re: [Vserver] Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
@ 2005-12-15  9:12       ` Alex Lyashkov
From: Alex Lyashkov @ 2005-12-15  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vserver; +Cc: Bill Davidsen, Andrew Morton, Rik van Riel, Linus Torvalds, LKML

> Virtual Machine (Emulators/Simulators):