* severe FS corruption with 2.4.6-pre2 + IBM jfs 0.3.4 patch
@ 2001-06-12 20:39 David Mansfield
From: David Mansfield @ 2001-06-12 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml, jfs-discussion

It's probably a JFS issue, but I thought I'd report this in case someone
is collecting and correlating filesystem corruption messages (Alan?).
Here is my sad story.

I have an Athlon 700MHZ, 256mb ram, AIC7XXX w 2/U2W drives system.  I've
been running JFS on a small partition for a few weeks, JFS 0.3.1 under
2.4.5, 0.3.3 with 2.4.6-pre1 and yesterday I tried 2.4.6-pre2 with jfs
0.3.4.

I rebooted into the new kernel, and noticed one of those Red Hat [FAIL]
messages that pops up during the rc/init stages.  It's a config problem
I've had for months, nothing new, but I decided I'd take care of it.  I
logged into the console, ran emacs and it segfaulted.  I ran 'dmesg' but
there was nothing (I was expecting to see an oops).  I ran emacs again,
segfault.  I tried logging in to another console, hang.

At this point I hit sysrq-T, and of everything that spewed by, I noticed
one process (which had scrolled to far off the screen to see the PID)
with a whole lot of

At this point I did sysrq-S-U-B and rebooted.  End of story.

My filesystems were severely f***ed at this point.  A total of about 60
seconds running this kernel and I was dead.  My OS partition was
trashed, about 1/2 of it was unrecoverable.  My home partition fared
better (good luck) but still had plenty of trashed inodes.

I've never had problems with any kernels before this...

That's my story,
David

--
David Mansfield                                           (718) 963-2020
david@ultramaster.com

* Re: severe FS corruption with 2.4.6-pre2 + IBM jfs 0.3.4 patch
@ 2001-06-14 18:18 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-06-14 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mansfield; +Cc: lkml, jfs-discussion

> It's probably a JFS issue, but I thought I'd report this in case someone
> is collecting and correlating filesystem corruption messages (Alan?).
> Here is my sad story.

I get as far as 'using jfs' and delete them

* Re: severe FS corruption with 2.4.6-pre2 + IBM jfs 0.3.4 patch
@ 2001-06-14 18:25   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-06-14 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: David Mansfield, lkml, jfs-discussion

Alan Cox wrote:

> > It's probably a JFS issue, but I thought I'd report this in case someone
> > is collecting and correlating filesystem corruption messages (Alan?).
> > Here is my sad story.
>
> I get as far as 'using jfs' and delete them

Understandable but FWIW they have apparently passed a night of
stress-kernel (cerberus) testing on the latest jfs..

--
Jeff Garzik      | Andre the Giant has a posse.
Building 1024    |

* Re: [Jfs-discussion] Re: severe FS corruption with 2.4.6-pre2 + IBM jfs 0.3.4 patch
@ 2001-06-15  6:55     ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2001-06-15  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Alan Cox, David Mansfield, lkml, jfs-discussion

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 02:25:06PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > It's probably a JFS issue, but I thought I'd report this in case someone
> > > is collecting and correlating filesystem corruption messages (Alan?).
> > > Here is my sad story.
> >
> > I get as far as 'using jfs' and delete them
>
> Understandable but FWIW they have apparently passed a night of
> stress-kernel (cerberus) testing on the latest jfs..

rm -rf not working correctly is a kind of show stopper bug ATM though.
Hopefully it can be fixed soon.

-Andi

* Re: [Jfs-discussion] Re: severe FS corruption with 2.4.6-pre2 + IBM jfs 0.3.4 patch
@ 2001-06-15  9:08       ` Luigi Genoni
From: Luigi Genoni @ 2001-06-15  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: Jeff Garzik, Alan Cox, David Mansfield, lkml, jfs-discussion

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Andi Kleen wrote:

> rm -rf not working correctly is a kind of show stopper bug ATM though.
> Hopefully it can be fixed soon.

with too many files inside of a directory this was a bug also under
AIX 3.2.5, and could be used for any kind of DoS.
Just with AIX 4.1.X this bug disappeared and we also got the
possibility to use a block size smaller than 1024

Luigi

* Re: [Jfs-discussion] Re: severe FS corruption with 2.4.6-pre2 + IBM jfs 0.3.4 patch
@ 2001-06-15 13:11 Steve Best
From: Steve Best @ 2001-06-15 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: Alan Cox, jfs-discussion, Jeff Garzik, lkml, David Mansfield

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 01:55:05AM Andi Kleen wrote:

>> > I get as far as 'using jfs' and delete them
>>
>> Understandable but FWIW they have apparently passed a night of
>> stress-kernel (cerberus) testing on the latest jfs..

> rm -rf not working correctly is a kind of show stopper bug ATM though.
> Hopefully it can be fixed soon.

Andi,

The rm -rf problem is our topic priority and should be fixed in less
that a week.

Steve