* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-22 20:32 Timothy A. Seufert
From: Timothy A. Seufert @ 2001-12-22 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Vojtech Pavlich wrote:

>4Mbit bandwidth is usually 4 * 10^3 * 2^10 bits per second.
>20GB harddrive is usually 20 * 10^6 * 2^10 bytes.

A 20 GB hard drive is always 20 * 10^9 bytes.  I'm not sure why so
many people on the linux-kernel list think otherwise, but the hard
drive industry is quite consistent in its use of power-of-10 units to
describe capacity.  See:

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/bytes.html
   ("all major disc drive manufactures use decimal values when discussing
     storage capacity")

Answer ID 336 in Maxtor's "Knowledge Base"
   ("Hard drives are marketed in terms of decimal (base 10) capacity.
     In decimal notation, one megabyte (MB) is equal to 1,000,000 bytes,
     and one Gigabyte (GB) is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes.")

Answer ID 68 in Western Digital's "Knowledge Base"
   ("Drive manufacturers have always defined a megabyte as one million
     bytes.")

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/hddfaqs.htm#11

--
Tim Seufert

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-30 12:06 Martin Knoblauch
From: Martin Knoblauch @ 2001-12-30 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: kaih

> Re: Configure.help editorial policy
>

> > Standards exist to make peoples lives easier, the fact the hard drive
> > and memory vendors currently don't use these phrases right now doesn't
> > make the standard wrong --- this world is full of clue-less marketing
> > people and nothing will change this.
>
> Oh, it can be changed. Just the way car advertising has been changed to
> use kW. (Well, it has over here.) And the way monitor size advertising is
> in the process of being changed to use SI units, not US ones.
>
> Fair advertising laws can be rather effective.

 frankly speaking, the advertising on cars, monitors and other stuff
only changed, because it is illegal to do otherwise (you can use the old
units, but not alone and not prominently). IMHO in most peoples minds
the old units are still prevalent.

 When looking at the new new notation for binary units, I just think the
standards organisations made a huge maistake :-( But standard is
standard. Better take it now.

Martin
|Martin Knoblauch                                     |
|-----------------------------------------------------|
|http://www.knobisoft.de/cats                         |
|-----------------------------------------------------|
|e-mail: knobi@knobisoft.de                           |

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-30  4:10 Timothy A. Seufert
From: Timothy A. Seufert @ 2001-12-30  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Timo Jantunen

Timo Jantunen <jeti@iki.fi> wrote:

>How about IBM. According to the datasheet at
>http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/desk/ds120gxp.htm
>
>Deskstar 120GXP with 120GB capacity has 24125472 sectors (123522416640
>bytes).
>
>That is 123.5GB if G=10^9 but 120.6GB if G=10^6*2^10 (and merely
>115.0GB if G=2^30).
>
>Horrible? Yes.
>
>(The same is true for 40GB and 80GB versions of 120GXP, and my (older
>model) 30GB and 40GB IBM drives.)

Please click on the "Models" link on the page you linked to and
reconsider your position.  For abstract marketing purposes such as
model and family names, IBM currently prefers to round down to 5GB
increments, probably because 123.52GXP doesn't roll off the tongue
quite so well as 120GXP.  That doesn't mean they use anything other
than 1GB = 10^9 bytes when they get around to telling you exactly how
much each model holds.

(It hasn't always been round-to-5GB.  For example one older family
was the 22GXP.  But that's easy to understand: when the maximum
shipping capacity was 22GB it presumably made more sense to round to
1GB figures.)
--
Tim Seufert

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-27 20:20 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-12-27 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andries.Brouwer, jeti; +Cc: linux-kernel

>> All disk manufacturers use decimal. Always.

> How about IBM.

Also IBM uses decimal.

Andries

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-27 15:42 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-12-27 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kaih, linux-kernel

> Most disk sizes are an unholy mixture of the two
> that deserves a stake through the heart,
> where 1 GB = 1,024,000,000 bytes.

"Are"??

I see several good people spout this particular type of nonsense
here. If I interpret "are" to mean that that is the unit
disk manufacturers use, then it is false - as far as I know
no manufacturer uses this.

Let us look at Maxtor. They are so friendly to give disk size
as part of the type.
Maxtor 91728D8 - 17280442368 bytes, 17280 MB, 17.2 GB
Maxtor 93652U8 - 36529274880 bytes, 36529 MB, 36.5 GB
Maxtor 96147H6 - 61473226752 bytes, 61473 MB, 61.4 GB

You see that the number of GB claimed by the manufacturer is
just (number of megabytes)/1000.
There is no 2.4% difference that could justify your strange claim.

All disk manufacturers always use decimal.
And this has been true for many years.

Andries

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-25 20:54 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-12-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andries.Brouwer, pavel; +Cc: bcrl, cw, esr, garfield, linux-kernel, riel

    > > In many cases binary and decimal units are mixed,
    > > leading to something which is impossible to "get right".
    > > Disk space would be one example of this.
    >
    > No. All disk manufacturers only use decimal units.

    Really? Even ATA flashcard manufacturers? So now I have to know if
    CF-card has spinning parts to decide size?

What makes you think so?

Looking at a flash card here (sold as 8 MB), I see

SCSI device sdb: 15872 512-byte hdwr sectors (8 MB)

Now if the manufacturer claimed 8 MiB I could sue him,
but since he only claims 8 MB, this one is large enough
(it has 31 . 2^18 = 8126464 bytes).
It is 8.1 MB and 7.75 MiB.

Andries

Always remember:
(i) k=1000, M=1000k, G=1000M
(ii) specifications are rounded down, so that customers cannot complain
(iii) if something exists only in power-of-two sizes, that helps
guessing the actual size; however, this is not true for disks,
and as this example shows, it is not true for CF cards either.

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-24 11:08 Matt Reuther
From: Matt Reuther @ 2001-12-24 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

If someone is looking for an example of a kilobyte of RAM being defined as
1000 bytes, I can go dig out the carton for my Commodore 64. I am pretty sure
it was advertized on the box as having 65KB RAM. The could have even rounded
it to 66KB (65.536 KB).

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-23 23:44 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-12-23 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cs; +Cc: esr, garfield, linux-kernel

[OT] man-pages-1.46 was released an hour ago or so.

Cameron Simpson asks:

> Just out of curiosity, is there anywhere in the kernel space
> where KB (et al) is _not_ used to mean a power of 2 value?

Disk sizes are given in decimal, so in the boot message

hda: 120064896 sectors (61473 MB) w/2048KiB Cache ...

the MB denotes (decimal) megabytes, while the KiB denotes
(binary) kibibytes.
Yes, the parenthetical parts are pleonastic both times.

Andries

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-23  4:06 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-12-23  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bcrl, cw; +Cc: esr, garfield, linux-kernel, riel

Benjamin LaHaise writes:

> GiB is not a useful standard because NOBODY USES IT.

If everybody waits until all others use it, nothing will
ever happen. But in fact usage has been increasing over the
past two years. Also if one restricts attention to the Linux world.

But in fact the main purpose is to emphasize that 1000000 and
1048576 are different numbers and therefore need different
abbreviations. M always means 1000000. Mi always means 1048576.
There are not many contexts where an abbreviation for 1048576
is useful, so no great use is ever expected.
The goal is not to promote the abbreviation Gi.
The goal is to stop the people who believe that k means 1024.

Rik van Riel writes:

> the kB vs KiB mess is so ambiguous and complex

Mistake. k always means 1000. Ki always means 1024.

@ 2001-12-23  3:40 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2001-12-23  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bcrl, cw; +Cc: esr, garfield, linux-kernel

Benjamin LaHaise writes:

> If you think GB == 1000^3, then please go "correct" all the DRAM
> manufacturers out in the world.  They just sent me 1GB of ram and
> it's coming up as 1073741824 bytes.

Oh, please - must we have this same discussion every year?

If someone uses an approximate value in some context then that
- is desirable if it is more convenient
- is admissable either (i) if greater precision is not of interest
  (or unavailable), or (ii) when the approximate value suffices to
  derive the exact value uniquely.

When things come in power-of-two sizes then no confusion is
possible if you use a decimal prefix: in reality the nearest
power of two is meant. Thus there is no urgent reason to be
precise when talking about the size of memory modules.
If you say 1GB, that is an American billion bytes, everybody
will assume that in fact the size was 1073741824 bytes.
Of course this will change when technology changes and memory
comes in arbitrarily sized units, like disks today.

These remarks taken together mean that it is not often necessary
to use these newfangled abbreviations like GiB or words like
gibibyte. Often precision is not required. Or precision is required
but the precise size is clear from the context.

But it is a serious mistake to doubt G = 1000^3.
k, M, G have one and only one meaning.
Just like "thousand" has only one meaning and still one can say
that this thing, that cost $1049, was bought for a thousand bucks.

Disks do not come in power-of-two sizes. So when talking about
disk sizes there is no "he says 1000000000 but it must be
a power of two so he must mean 1073741824". No, for disk sizes
it is just "he says 1000000000 so that is it".

In standard texts and other places where there must not be
any ambiguity one uses KiB, MiB, GiB. Also in a context where
binary and decimal units are both used it is clean to
separate them. When Linux boots, I see

hdf: 120064896 sectors (61473 MB) w/2048KiB Cache

and you see that the MB is decimal and the KiB binary. Good.

Concerning this Configure.help stuff, clearly it is not very
important what is written, but GiB is slightly better than GB,
and I doubt it would lead to any problems. People who have
never seen GiB will probably read it as gigabyte, and that is
approximately right.

Concerning the future of this standard for binary prefixes,
it looks like scientists and engineers like them and are
careful to distinguish G and Gi; in the open software world
programs are slowly adapted to correct usage; Microsoft has
not yet heard about the difference between GB and GiB.

Andries

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-22 13:30 Per Jessen
From: Per Jessen @ 2001-12-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux KernelList

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:33:52 -0600, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
>
>> GiB is not a useful standard because NOBODY USES IT.  When it's in
>> common use, then consider applying it to the kernel, but please,
>> not before then.
>

>What better place to start "common use" then the kernel source.
>Let's lead the way, not wait around to follow others.

And in fact, people are using it. Like I said earlier, I used to work
in StorageTek R&D, and we started using it. In fact the hardware people
started first, so the displays on our VSM arrays (Terabyte sized RAID
arrays) would use the kB = 1000byte whereas our reports would use
kB=1024byte. Big confusion.
AFAIR, the decision made to go with the IEC standard was primarily
because it was a standard.

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.

Windows 2001: "I'm sorry Dave ...  I'm afraid I can't do that."

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-22  2:42 Thomas Hood
From: Thomas Hood @ 2001-12-22  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I favor switching to the use of KiB for 1024 bytes, etc.,
because I favor precision.  Precise speech aids precise
thought.

One argument against was that 'KB' has been used ambiguously
in the past, so we should continue to use it ambiguously
in the future (for backward compatibility).  However, I
don't think that our descendents brought up with "KiB"
will have trouble reading their grandparents' computer
manuals written with "KB".  "KiB" was chosen because of its
similarity to "KB".  They'll be able to say: "Hey, no wonder
computers used to crash back in the twentieth century.  They
didn't know the difference between a kilobyte and a kibibyte!"
And they wouldn't be entirely wrong, either.

The other argument against the new terminology was that
when you speak the long forms, they sound funny.  So
all you people think that "kilobyte" and "megabyte" don't
sound funny?  A priori, "kibi" is no more ridiculous than
"kilo".

I think that the folks that thought of these prefixes were
rather clever, choosing names similar to the decimal prefixes,
yet easy to distinguish and still faily easy to pronounce.

The only thing wanting is a set of nouns for describing powers
of 2^10.  I suggest:
   one thousband = 1,024
   one milbion   = 1,048,576
   one bilbion   = 1,073,741,824
   one trilbion  = 1,099,511,627,776
   etc.

Now what was the name of Fat Albert's friend who always said
"Haybee manbee, passbee mebee the ballbee!" ?

* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-21 19:34 Timothy Covell
From: Timothy Covell @ 2001-12-21 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Friday 21 December 2001 13:12, David Weinehall wrote:
[snip]

> Whatever the choice ends up being, KB is always incorrect, unless you
> intend to specify some strange formula where the number of bytes (B)
> combined with the temperature in Kelvin (K) has anything to do with
> things.
>

> /David Weinehall

The way the metric prefixes work is that multiplicative prefixes are
capitalized and divisional prefixes are in lower case.

mm = millimeter v. Mg= megameter
cm = centimeter v. Km = kilometer

Now, the only reason that 'k' has been allowed instead of "K"
is due to the Satem/Katem split in IndoEuropean languages.
If we were truly consistant, we would use

km = kentimeter for 1/100
or
Cm = cuilometer for 100

But this raises the problem that in most IE languages, "i" or "e"
after a "c" changes the sound from hard to soft.  That's why
I stuck that "u" in cuilometer.  But again, that's silly.

So unless we all change our language to "Katem" based ones,
legacy usage will prevail.

That's my way of saying that you "Kelvins" argument is silly
because there do not exist any cases where "KB" would be
mistaken for Kelvins Bytes.

Just my 2 kents.

--
timothy.covell@ashavan.org.

[parent not found: <Pine.LNX.4.33.0112201605310.9934-100000@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca>]
* Re: Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-20 21:17 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2001-12-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 20 Dec 01 at 14:27, Reid Hekman wrote:
> > If there is a clear consensus from lkml, I will be happy to back
> > out this change.  Perhaps this terminological standard does not
> > meet a real need, perhaps it will be rejected by most engineers and
> > deserves to wither on the vine.  It's happened before.
>
> I'd vote for that.

Well, I vote for that too. And I'm _for_ using KiB, MiB, GiB with all
my fingers. When you buy computer memory, it is always in ?iB units
(as nobody sane can upgrade computer equipped with 512000000 bytes
memory stick with some additional memory) but in all other cases (in-core
process size, hdd size, file size) it is very unclear what you mean.
Yes, error is only 2% - but if everyone around can give me 2% of
his HDD capacity, I think that I'm going to be very happy.

Yes, it is new prefix, but everything is sometime new. When computers
had 64KB of memory, there was capital K as 1024 bytes. But then computer
grew up, and already used letter 'M' was used as 2^20. It was serious
mistake, and as using same expression for different prefixes is unacceptable
(at least for me), and I do not think that we are going to use 1GdHz CPUs,
we are going to use computers with 4GiB of memory.
                                        Thanks,
                                            Petr Vandrovec
                                            vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

* Configure.help editorial policy
@ 2001-12-20 19:32 Eric S. Raymond
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2001-12-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel List

I guess it's a pretty quiet week in kernel-hacker land.  Must be,
otherwise people would have better things to do than argue over KB
vs. KiB.  The alternative would be to conclude that significant
portions of the lkml population prefer flaming to coding, and that
couldn't possibly be the case, could it?

Let me make a couple of things clear:

I am by no means in love with the new abbreviations described at
<http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html>.  I have the same
reflexes as the rest of you -- they kind of make me want to gag.

If there is a clear consensus from lkml, I will be happy to back
out this change.  Perhaps this terminological standard does not
meet a real need, perhaps it will be rejected by most engineers and
deserves to wither on the vine.  It's happened before.

However.  In the *absence* of a clear consensus, I will follow best
practices.  Best practice in editing a technical or standards document
is to (a) avoid ambiguous usages, seek clarity and precision; and (b)
to use, follow and reference international standards.

In fact, the first time David Woodhouse submitted this change, some
months ago, I rejected it.  I have since, reluctantly, concluded
that I was wrong to do so.  So when he re-submitted, I merged in
the patch.

My personal esthetic distaste for the new terminology (gack!  "kibi"
sounds like something I would feed my cat!) is less important
than following best practices.  I'm hoping it will seem less ugly as it
becomes more familiar.

I don't like my duty much in this instance.  But my duty is clear.

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only]
moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence
to the mind.  Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too
violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun,
therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."
        -- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.