* Re: IO stats in /proc/partitions
@ 2002-05-04 19:59 Andries.Brouwer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2002-05-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan, hpa, linux-kernel, marcelo

Earlier I noticed that RedHat did put some statistics in
/proc/partitions. That was bad, but I assumed that it was
their laziness, being too busy to do a proper job.

However, I see that these days the pollution of /proc/partitions
is becoming official - it is part of patch-2.4.19-pre7.
I strongly object, and hope it is not too late to revert this.

Things must do one thing, and one thing well.
The task of /proc/partitions is to list which partitions the
kernel knows about. When I implemented it I thought that adding
the starting offset would be superfluous, but in fact I now realize
that that is required for several applications.
So, /proc/partitions must be updated sooner or later with an
additional field "starting offset". Possibly more fields to
enable identification. Sometimes it is really difficult to
determine which Linux name belongs to which hardware device,
especially with USB.

On the other hand, disk statistics should not be in
/proc/partitions. They should be in /proc/diskstatistics.
I see a heading today "rio rmerge rsect ruse wio wmerge"
"wsect wuse running use aveq". No doubt next year we'll
want different statistics. So /proc/diskstatistics should
start with a header line including a version field.

Please keep these disk statistics apart from /proc/partitions.

Andries

* Re: IO stats in /proc/partitions
@ 2002-05-05  1:38 Nivedita Singhvi
From: Nivedita Singhvi @ 2002-05-05  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znmeb; +Cc: linux-kernel

>> But hey, you've suffered thru it, which, guess what, makes you the
>> perfect candidate to have the honor of writing the docs!

> The person who made the "design" decisions and implemented the code is
> responsible for documenting it. At least that's what *I* was taught 40
> years ago when I learned to program a computer.
> --
> M. Edward Borasky

Ed, this is Linux and open source.   It is where it is today because of
cooperation,  contribution and generous understanding.
People contribute what they can, and they're not necessarily
getting paid to do so.  If its valuable to others, it gets
used.  The way I see it, getting anything at all is a bonus.

Additionally, not all  developers who contribute to Linux live in the US
and speak English.  I'm guessing that documentation in Russian or
Marathi wouldn't be much use to you..

Just something to think about..

thanks,
Nivedita

* IO stats in /proc/partitions
@ 2002-03-12 15:34 Jean-Eric Cuendet
From: Jean-Eric Cuendet @ 2002-03-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,
I use 2.4.19-pre2-ac4.
2 questions:
- Either MD Raid ot LVM IO devices are not accounted in /proc/partitions
IO data. Is it normal?
- Are the new /proc/partitions IO stats integrated in 2.4.19-pre3?

Bye
-jec

--
Jean-Eric Cuendet