netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org>
To: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>
Cc: "Arnd Bergmann" <arnd@kernel.org>,
	"Jernej Škrabec" <jernej.skrabec@gmail.com>,
	"Daniel Thompson" <daniel.thompson@linaro.org>,
	"Sumit Garg" <sumit.garg@linaro.org>,
	"Alex Bennée" <alex.bennee@linaro.org>,
	"Masami Hiramatsu" <mhiramat@kernel.org>,
	"Steve McIntyre" <steve@einval.com>,
	"open list:BPF JIT for MIPS (32-BIT AND 64-BIT)"
	<netdev@vger.kernel.org>, "Willy Liu" <willy.liu@realtek.com>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>,
	"Jakub Kicinski" <kuba@kernel.org>,
	"Sasha Levin" <sashal@kernel.org>,
	"Florian Fainelli" <f.fainelli@gmail.com>,
	"Heiner Kallweit" <hkallweit1@gmail.com>,
	"Masahisa Kojima" <masahisa.kojima@linaro.org>,
	"Ilias Apalodimas" <ilias.apalodimas@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: Re: realtek PHY commit bbc4d71d63549 causes regression
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 23:49:39 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 at 23:43, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

> Hi Arnd
>
> > Something of that sort. I also see a similar patch in KSZ9031
> > now, see 7dd8f0ba88fc ("arm: dts: imx6qdl-udoo: fix rgmii phy-mode
> > for ksz9031 phy")
> >
> > As this exact mismatch between rgmii and rgmii-id mode is apparently
> > a more widespread problem, the best workaround I can think of
> > is that we redefine the phy-mode="rgmii" property to actually mean
> > "use rgmii mode and let the phy driver decide the delay configuration",
>
> The problem is, the PHY driver has no idea what the delay
> configuration should be. That is the whole point of the DT property.
>
> The MAC and the PHY have to work together to ensure one of them
> inserts the delay. In most cases, the MAC driver reads the property
> and passes it unmodified to the PHY. The PHY then does what it is
> told. In some cases, the MAC decides to add the delay, it changes the
> rgmii-id to rgmii before passing it onto the PHY. The PHY does as it
> is told, and it works. And a very small number of boards simply have
> longer clock lines than signal lines, so the PCB adds the delay. It is
> not clearly defined how that should be described in DT, but it works
> so far because most MAC drivers don't add delays, pass the 'rgmii'
> from DT to the PHY and it does as it is told and does not add delays.
>
> There is one more case, which is not used very often. The PHY is
> passed the NA values, which means, don't touch, something else has set
> it up. So when the straps are doing the correct thing, you could pass
> NA. However, some MAC drivers look at the phy mode, see it is one of
> the 4 rgmii modes, and configure their end to rgmii, instead of gmii,
> mii, sgmii, etc. How networking does ACPI is still very undefined, but
> i think we need to push for ACPI to pass NA, and the firmware does all
> the setup. That seems to be ACPI way.
>
> > with a new string to mean specifically rgmii mode with no delay.
>
> As you said, we have phy-mode="rgmii" 235 times. How many of those are
> going to break when you change the definition of rgmii?  I have no
> idea, but my gut feeling is more than the number of boards which are
> currently broken because of the problem with this PHY.
>
> And, as i said above, some MAC drivers look for one of the 4 RGMII
> modes in order to configure their side. If you add a new string, you
> need to review all the MAC drivers and make sure they check for all 5
> strings, not 4. Some of that is easy, modify
> phy_interface_mode_is_rgmii(), but not all MAC use it, and it is no
> help in a switch statement.
>
> And we are potentially going to get into the same problem
> again. History has shown, we cannot get 4 properties right. Do you
> think we will do any better getting 5 properties right? Especially
> when phy-mode="rgmii" does not mean rgmii, but do whatever you think
> might be correct?
>
> Having suffered the pain from the Atheros PHY, this is something i
> review much more closely, so hopefully we are getting better at
> [...]

One question that still has not been answered is how many actual
platforms were fixed by backporting Realtek's follow up fix to
-stable. My suspicion is none. That by itself should be enough
justification to revert the backport of that change.

I do agree that we should fix this properly going forward, and if we
do manage to fix this in a backwards compatible way, we should
backport that fix. But letting the current situation exist because
nobody can be bothered to fix it properly is not the right solution
IMHO.