openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Action: OpenBMC community messaging survey
@ 2020-09-23 19:48 krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2020-09-23 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hello everyone,

I am doing a survey. If you DO NOT use IRC, would you start
communicating regularly with the community if we used a different
messaging platform? Maybe some other reason?

I am not suggesting anything at the moment, just looking at ways to
remove any communication barriers and improve open designs and development.

If you DO NOT USE IRC regularly, please follow this link for a short
survey. It is completely anonymous and will remain open until 12:00pm
Central, Monday September 28th.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/33BVDR6

THANKS!

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

* Re: Action: OpenBMC community messaging survey
@ 2020-09-24  2:58 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-09-24  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: krtaylor, openbmc

On 9/23/20 2:48 PM, krtaylor wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am doing a survey. If you DO NOT use IRC, would you start
> communicating regularly with the community if we used a different
> messaging platform? Maybe some other reason?
>
> I am not suggesting anything at the moment, just looking at ways to
> remove any communication barriers and improve open designs and
> development.
>
> If you DO NOT USE IRC regularly, please follow this link for a short
> survey. It is completely anonymous and will remain open until 12:00pm
> Central, Monday September 28th.

Hi Kurt.  Thanks for trying to improve communication within the OpenBMC
community.

I was confused by the survey and did not submit my answers.  I use the
IRC (per [1]) but sometimes go days without reading, and rarely
respond.  I find IRC setup confusing, but easy enough to use.  And I
would prefer to use slack features such as a full conversation history
and threaded conversations.

- Joseph

[1]: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc#contact

@ 2020-09-24 13:45   ` krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2020-09-24 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds, openbmc

On 9/23/20 9:58 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 9/23/20 2:48 PM, krtaylor wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am doing a survey. If you DO NOT use IRC, would you start
>> communicating regularly with the community if we used a different
>> messaging platform? Maybe some other reason?
>>
>> I am not suggesting anything at the moment, just looking at ways to
>> remove any communication barriers and improve open designs and
>> development.
>>
>> If you DO NOT USE IRC regularly, please follow this link for a short
>> survey. It is completely anonymous and will remain open until 12:00pm
>> Central, Monday September 28th.
>
> Hi Kurt.  Thanks for trying to improve communication within the OpenBMC
> community.
>
> I was confused by the survey and did not submit my answers.  I use the
> IRC (per [1]) but sometimes go days without reading, and rarely

Thanks for the question - I could have been more clear about "regular
use", and in the survey I do say that a bit better.

 From your description, I would say that you are not a regular user of
IRC. That is, you do your work without periodically discussing it in
IRC, and are not actively participating in others work and design
discussions. Absolutely no judgement here, this is a common situation
that we can hopefully address and facilitate for other developers.

Please feel free to take the survey, the feedback will be very much
appreciated.

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

@ 2020-09-24 15:54     ` Matthew Singer
From: Matthew Singer @ 2020-09-24 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: krtaylor; +Cc: openbmc, Joseph Reynolds

Hi Kurt,

I had similar feelings about the survey, it didn't quite capture my
sentiment.  For me, it's more that I have set up IRC, but the OpenBMC
project is my only use case for IRC.  With so many communication channels,
IRC seems to fall to the background.  It's also hard to review past
activity in IRC, other tools like slack make it much easier to look at
threads retrospectively.

Thanks!

@ 2020-09-25 15:02     ` Johnathan Mantey
From: Johnathan Mantey @ 2020-09-25 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)