radiotap.netbsd.org archive mirror
From: Simon Barber <simon-vp0mx6+5gkqFX2APIN6yfw@public.gmane.org>
To: Johannes Berg <johannes-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q@public.gmane.org>
Cc: Wojciech Dubowik
	<wojciech.dubowik-ASv44eHyqLVBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>,
	radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: MCS field - STBC and Ness
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 21:27:11 -0700	[thread overview]

Another slight tweak - I think STBC is more commonly used than Ness (as
witnessed by Wojciech's interest), so give STBC the simpler encoding. I
believe Ness is used for beamforming soundings.

Spec would look like this:

known    definition
0x01    bandwidth
0x02    MCS index known (in mcs part of the field)
0x04    guard interval
0x08    HT format
0x10    FEC type
0x20    STBC
0x40    Ness - Number of extension spatial streams is known
0x80    Ness2 - bit 1 (MSB) of Number of extension spatial streams.

The flags field is any combination of the following:

flag    definition
0x03    bandwidth - 0: 20, 1: 40, 2: 20L, 3: 20U
0x04    guard interval - 0: long GI, 1: short GI
0x08    HT format - 0: mixed, 1: greenfield
0x10    FEC type - 0: BCC, 1: LDPC
0x60    STBC - 0, 1 or 2: number of STBC streams
0x80    Ness - bit 0 (LSB) of Number of extension spatial streams.

What should I do to advance this as an approved radiotap extension?

Simon

On Fri 11 May 2012 11:35:46 AM PDT, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 09:53 -0700, Simon Barber wrote:
>> OK - perhaps a simpler/better suggestion would be for the STBC2 bit to
>> just be the second bit of STBC information.
>
> Seems reasonable to me, then we'll have filled all the bits anyway.
>
> johannes
>
>> Simon
>>

>> On Fri 11 May 2012 09:44:20 AM PDT, Simon Barber wrote:
>>> One possible solution would be to adopt your proposal to add a single
>>> bit STBC, but also add a second bit to the 'knows' byte - STBC2. If
>>> this second bit is set, then it indicates STBC=2. This would leave one
>>> remaining bit in the 'knows' byte, to indicate the presence of Ness
>>> information, and 2 bits in the 'flags' byte for 2 bits of Ness
>>> information.
>>>
>>> Copying the MCS definition from the radiotap.org website:
>>>
>>> The known field indicates which information is known:
>>>
>>> known definition
>>> 0x01 bandwidth
>>> 0x02 MCS index known (in mcs part of the field)
>>> 0x04 guard interval
>>> 0x08 HT format
>>> 0x10 FEC type
>>> 0x20 STBC - STBC is known
>>> 0x40 STBC2 - 2 STBC streams are present
>>> 0x80 Ness - Number of extra spatial streams is known
>>>
>>> The flags field is any combination of the following:
>>>
>>> flag definition
>>> 0x03 bandwidth - 0: 20, 1: 40, 2: 20L, 3: 20U
>>> 0x04 guard interval - 0: long GI, 1: short GI
>>> 0x08 HT format - 0: mixed, 1: greenfield
>>> 0x10 FEC type - 0: BCC, 1: LDPC
>>> 0x20 STBC - 0: no STBC streams, 1: 1 or 2 STBC streams (see STBC2)