rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [Rust for Linux] Happy new year & Poll for call
@ 2021-01-03  8:18 Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-01-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

Hi all,

Happy new year! It has been about 3 months since the last call. We
have got a new contributor and we have advanced a few things once
again, so I think it is a good time to have another informal call to
meet Wedson and discuss a few things that have come up.

Like last time, you are welcome to join even if you have been busy
lately but still want to follow development. So don't worry about
getting up to speed -- I'll give a quick briefing if needed.

I propose next weekend Saturday 9th or Sunday 10th, at some point
between 16:00-21:00 UTC (EU evening / US afternoon).

Please let me know what times may work for you, if any, and feel free
to Cc/invite whoever you want!

Cheers,
Miguel

PS: I am sending this one first to the ML to see who hasn't subscribed yet ;-)

* Re: [Rust for Linux] Happy new year & Poll for call
@ 2021-01-07 21:03 ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-01-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 9:18 AM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I propose next weekend Saturday 9th or Sunday 10th, at some point
> between 16:00-21:00 UTC (EU evening / US afternoon).

Thanks everyone for the replies! Let's do it Saturday 18:00 UTC then.
Hopefully that is not that early for those in PST, just after lunch
for EST and not too late for anywhere in Europe. :-)

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: [Rust for Linux] Happy new year & Poll for call
@ 2021-01-07 21:14   ` Alex Gaynor
From: Alex Gaynor @ 2021-01-07 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

Thanks for organizing this Miguel!

Alex

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 4:05 PM Miguel Ojeda

--
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.

* Re: [Rust for Linux] Happy new year & Poll for call
@ 2021-01-07 22:46     ` John Ericson
From: John Ericson @ 2021-01-07 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gaynor, Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

Sounds good, see you all there!

@ 2021-01-08  1:22       ` John Ericson
From: John Ericson @ 2021-01-08  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

I'm sure you all actively working on this project will have more to say than me, but in the interest of keeping track of loose ends I made in the first place, I

 - Posted https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/dogfooding-z-build-std-in-rustbuild/13775 about how -Z build-std could get more polish
 - poked https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/77916

Hope some of that is of interest,

John

@ 2021-01-08  8:26         ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-01-08  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:25 AM John Ericson <list@johnericson.me> wrote:

> I'm sure you all actively working on this project will have more to say than me, but in the interest of keeping track of loose ends I made in the first place, I
>
>  - Posted https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/dogfooding-z-build-std-in-rustbuild/13775 about how -Z build-std could get more polish
>  - poked https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/77916
>
> Hope some of that is of interest,

Of course it is!

On the topic of -Z build-std, I have been working on [1] which
integrates the building of core, alloc, etc. in Kbuild instead of
using build-std.

In the end, it turned out to be easier than I expected, which was a
pleasure. While the particular build steps may not always remain the
same (perhaps due to change of editions, splits into smaller crates,
etc.), I think it is a good idea, nevertheless, to keep the building
of these few critical crates as simple as reasonably possible for
projects that don't use Cargo -- even if build-std stabilizes, starts
getting used by rustbuild itself, etc.

[1] https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/pull/52

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: [Rust for Linux] Happy new year & Poll for call
@ 2021-01-08 14:34           ` John Ericson
From: John Ericson @ 2021-01-08 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021, at 3:26 AM, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> On the topic of -Z build-std, I have been working on [1] which integrates the building of core, alloc, etc. in Kbuild instead of using build-std.

Oh cool!

> even if build-std stabilizes, starts getting used by rustbuild itself, etc.

And for what it's worth, I think this approach also benefits from build-std maturing, because it's really compiling the standard library from the source alongside the rest of the (Rust parts of a) project vs using pre-built binaries that is the crucial distinction here. Both build-std and this are squarely the former not the latter.

John