WireGuard Archive on lore.kernel.org
* [ANNOUNCE] WireGuard 1.0.0 for Linux 5.6 Released
@ 2020-03-30  2:16 Jason A. Donenfeld
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2020-03-30  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

Earlier this evening, Linus released [1] Linus 5.6, which contains our
first release of WireGuard. This is quite exciting. It means that
kernels from here on out will have WireGuard built-in by default. And
for those of you who were scared away prior by the "dOnT uSe tHiS
k0de!!1!" warnings everywhere, you now have something more stable to
work with.

The last several weeks of 5.6 development and stabilization have been
exciting, with our codebase undergoing a quick security audit [3], and
some real headway in terms of getting into distributions.

We'll also continue to maintain our wireguard-linux-compat [2]
backports repo for older kernels. On the backports front, WireGuard
was backported to Ubuntu 20.04 (via wireguard-linux-compat) [4] and
Debian Buster (via a real backport to 5.5.y) [5]. I'm also maintaining
real backports, not via the compat layer, to 5.4.y [6] and 5.5.y [7],
and we'll see where those wind up; 5.4.y is an LTS release.

Meanwhile, the usual up-to-date distributions like Arch, Gentoo, and
Fedora 32 will be getting WireGuard automatically by virtue of having
5.6, and I expect these to increase in number over time.

Enjoy!
Jason

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wi9ZT7Stg-uSpX0UWQzam6OP9Jzz6Xu1CkYu1cicpD5OA@mail.gmail.com/
[2] https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-linux-compat/