Workflows Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
@ 2020-01-14 18:07 Lukas Bulwahn
  2020-01-15 22:07 ` Michael Turquette
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-01-14 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: workflows; +Cc: Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu

Dear all,

Till Kamppeter and Aveek Basu organize the Google Summer of Code
student mentoring program in the name of the Linux Foundation. They
have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
participation in the linuxfoundation wiki:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020

I believe many ideas discussed here on this list, e.g., extensions to
patchwork, public-inbox, further bots, scripts, etc., are well suited
to be prototyped or implemented by students in the GSoC program.

If you agree and have some good ideas, please add your ideas to this
currently still empty draft page:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-kernel-workflows

Ideas should be roughly described in five to six sentences, possibly
with a list of expectations on required knowledge a student should
show for its application. Within the application period later,
interested students have to write a much more extensive project
proposal as part of their application, by exchanging with the group to
refine the rough idea to a proper task and student project.

Please also take into account that the deadline for the application as
mentoring organization is Feb 5 and after that Google will evaluate
the applications. So have the ideas (at least most of them, ideas can
be posted up to the student application deadline) in by then to raise
chances to get accepted and get slots for students assigned.

If you have any questions concerning GSoC organisation, you can reach
out to Till, Aveek or me.

Best regards,

Lukas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-14 18:07 Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program? Lukas Bulwahn
@ 2020-01-15 22:07 ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-15 23:03   ` Bjorn Helgaas
                     ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Michael Turquette @ 2020-01-15 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

Hi Lukas,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Till Kamppeter and Aveek Basu organize the Google Summer of Code
> student mentoring program in the name of the Linux Foundation. They
> have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
> participation in the linuxfoundation wiki:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020
>
> I believe many ideas discussed here on this list, e.g., extensions to
> patchwork, public-inbox, further bots, scripts, etc., are well suited
> to be prototyped or implemented by students in the GSoC program.
>
> If you agree and have some good ideas, please add your ideas to this
> currently still empty draft page:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-kernel-workflows

I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
of my laptop.

From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
a big win IMO, and I can just use email.

Best regards,
Mike

>
> Ideas should be roughly described in five to six sentences, possibly
> with a list of expectations on required knowledge a student should
> show for its application. Within the application period later,
> interested students have to write a much more extensive project
> proposal as part of their application, by exchanging with the group to
> refine the rough idea to a proper task and student project.
>
> Please also take into account that the deadline for the application as
> mentoring organization is Feb 5 and after that Google will evaluate
> the applications. So have the ideas (at least most of them, ideas can
> be posted up to the student application deadline) in by then to raise
> chances to get accepted and get slots for students assigned.
>
> If you have any questions concerning GSoC organisation, you can reach
> out to Till, Aveek or me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lukas



-- 
Michael Turquette
CEO - Los Angeles, CA
BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
http://baylibre.com/
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-15 22:07 ` Michael Turquette
@ 2020-01-15 23:03   ` Bjorn Helgaas
  2020-01-16 19:39     ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-17  1:34     ` Stephen Boyd
  2020-01-16  0:59   ` Daniel Axtens
  2020-01-17 20:25   ` Lukas Bulwahn
  2 siblings, 2 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2020-01-15 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Turquette
  Cc: Lukas Bulwahn, workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 4:07 PM Michael Turquette
<mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:

> I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
> with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
> coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
> Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
> proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
> talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
> cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
> of my laptop.
>
> From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
> sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
> tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
> might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
> a big win IMO, and I can just use email.

That's a really cool idea.  What do you do about the Gmail/plain text
problem?  I know Gmail *can* sent plain-text email, but you don't have
much control over the formatting, and I really don't like reviewing
code in a Gmail draft.  I hate to admit it, but I'm always bouncing
back and forth between Gmail and mutt.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-15 22:07 ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-15 23:03   ` Bjorn Helgaas
@ 2020-01-16  0:59   ` Daniel Axtens
  2020-01-16 19:35     ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-17 20:25   ` Lukas Bulwahn
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Axtens @ 2020-01-16  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Turquette, Lukas Bulwahn
  Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com> writes:

> Hi Lukas,
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Till Kamppeter and Aveek Basu organize the Google Summer of Code
>> student mentoring program in the name of the Linux Foundation. They
>> have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
>> participation in the linuxfoundation wiki:
>>
>> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020
>>
>> I believe many ideas discussed here on this list, e.g., extensions to
>> patchwork, public-inbox, further bots, scripts, etc., are well suited
>> to be prototyped or implemented by students in the GSoC program.
>>
>> If you agree and have some good ideas, please add your ideas to this
>> currently still empty draft page:
>>
>> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-kernel-workflows
>
> I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
> with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
> coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
> Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
> proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
> talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
> cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
> of my laptop.


<pw maintainer hat>
Let me know if there's anything you need in the REST API for this. We're
going to cut 2.2 Real Soon Now, which will be your last chance until 3.0
which, given our general velocity, will not be out until late 2020.

Regards,
Daniel


> From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
> sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
> tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
> might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
> a big win IMO, and I can just use email.
>
> Best regards,
> Mike
>
>>
>> Ideas should be roughly described in five to six sentences, possibly
>> with a list of expectations on required knowledge a student should
>> show for its application. Within the application period later,
>> interested students have to write a much more extensive project
>> proposal as part of their application, by exchanging with the group to
>> refine the rough idea to a proper task and student project.
>>
>> Please also take into account that the deadline for the application as
>> mentoring organization is Feb 5 and after that Google will evaluate
>> the applications. So have the ideas (at least most of them, ideas can
>> be posted up to the student application deadline) in by then to raise
>> chances to get accepted and get slots for students assigned.
>>
>> If you have any questions concerning GSoC organisation, you can reach
>> out to Till, Aveek or me.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Lukas
>
>
>
> -- 
> Michael Turquette
> CEO - Los Angeles, CA
> BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
> http://baylibre.com/
> Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-16  0:59   ` Daniel Axtens
@ 2020-01-16 19:35     ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-17  2:19       ` Daniel Axtens
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Michael Turquette @ 2020-01-16 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Axtens
  Cc: Lukas Bulwahn, workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 4:59 PM Daniel Axtens <dja@axtens.net> wrote:
>
> Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Lukas,
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Till Kamppeter and Aveek Basu organize the Google Summer of Code
> >> student mentoring program in the name of the Linux Foundation. They
> >> have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
> >> participation in the linuxfoundation wiki:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020
> >>
> >> I believe many ideas discussed here on this list, e.g., extensions to
> >> patchwork, public-inbox, further bots, scripts, etc., are well suited
> >> to be prototyped or implemented by students in the GSoC program.
> >>
> >> If you agree and have some good ideas, please add your ideas to this
> >> currently still empty draft page:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-kernel-workflows
> >
> > I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
> > with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
> > coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
> > Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
> > proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
> > talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
> > cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
> > of my laptop.
>
>
> <pw maintainer hat>
> Let me know if there's anything you need in the REST API for this. We're
> going to cut 2.2 Real Soon Now, which will be your last chance until 3.0
> which, given our general velocity, will not be out until late 2020.

Thanks for the support Daniel. The current solution that I use is
based on the pwclient tool, and I have no idea if that uses the REST
api under the hood or not. If this project gets picked up by students
in GSoC then hopefully they can provide feedback to you on any API
enhancements.

I do have a working setup on gitlab that I can share, but again this
assumes Notmuch is part of the toolchain.

Best,
Mike

>
> Regards,
> Daniel
>
>
> > From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
> > sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
> > tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
> > might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
> > a big win IMO, and I can just use email.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Mike
> >
> >>
> >> Ideas should be roughly described in five to six sentences, possibly
> >> with a list of expectations on required knowledge a student should
> >> show for its application. Within the application period later,
> >> interested students have to write a much more extensive project
> >> proposal as part of their application, by exchanging with the group to
> >> refine the rough idea to a proper task and student project.
> >>
> >> Please also take into account that the deadline for the application as
> >> mentoring organization is Feb 5 and after that Google will evaluate
> >> the applications. So have the ideas (at least most of them, ideas can
> >> be posted up to the student application deadline) in by then to raise
> >> chances to get accepted and get slots for students assigned.
> >>
> >> If you have any questions concerning GSoC organisation, you can reach
> >> out to Till, Aveek or me.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Lukas
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Michael Turquette
> > CEO - Los Angeles, CA
> > BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
> > http://baylibre.com/
> > Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette



-- 
Michael Turquette
CEO - Los Angeles, CA
BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
http://baylibre.com/
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-15 23:03   ` Bjorn Helgaas
@ 2020-01-16 19:39     ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-17  1:34     ` Stephen Boyd
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Michael Turquette @ 2020-01-16 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bjorn; +Cc: Lukas Bulwahn, workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 4:07 PM Michael Turquette
> <mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
>
> > I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
> > with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
> > coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
> > Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
> > proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
> > talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
> > cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
> > of my laptop.
> >
> > From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
> > sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
> > tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
> > might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
> > a big win IMO, and I can just use email.
>
> That's a really cool idea.  What do you do about the Gmail/plain text
> problem?  I know Gmail *can* sent plain-text email, but you don't have
> much control over the formatting, and I really don't like reviewing
> code in a Gmail draft.  I hate to admit it, but I'm always bouncing
> back and forth between Gmail and mutt.

My solution is to not review patches or send plain-text responses with
the Gmail web interface. I use Mutt and alot as my mailers for patch
review. I use the Gmail web interface for everything else.

Mail fetching and syncing (along with bidirection sync of Notmuch tags
and Gmail Labels) is achieved with the excellent Lieer tool:
https://github.com/gauteh/lieer

Only missing feature in that tool is to do something like fetching
only last 30 days of mail (basic feature for offlineimap and friends)
for the "flying with my laptop to Linux conference" use case. Maybe
another GSoC submission if I'm feeling greedy? ;-)

Best regards,
Mike

-- 
Michael Turquette
CEO - Los Angeles, CA
BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
http://baylibre.com/
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-15 23:03   ` Bjorn Helgaas
  2020-01-16 19:39     ` Michael Turquette
@ 2020-01-17  1:34     ` Stephen Boyd
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Stephen Boyd @ 2020-01-17  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas, Michael Turquette, bjorn
  Cc: Lukas Bulwahn, workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu

Quoting Bjorn Helgaas (2020-01-15 15:03:47)
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 4:07 PM Michael Turquette
> <mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
> 
> > I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
> > with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
> > coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
> > Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
> > proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
> > talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
> > cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
> > of my laptop.
> >
> > From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
> > sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
> > tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
> > might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
> > a big win IMO, and I can just use email.
> 
> That's a really cool idea.  What do you do about the Gmail/plain text
> problem?  I know Gmail *can* sent plain-text email, but you don't have
> much control over the formatting, and I really don't like reviewing
> code in a Gmail draft.  I hate to admit it, but I'm always bouncing
> back and forth between Gmail and mutt.

I don't use gmail at all for composing or sending emails. I basically
use it as a glorified label and email storage database. Downside is I
can't work on my phone, which is probably a good thing when I have to
write something long but a bad thing when I just want to apply the patch
and integrate it into my tree.

I've dreamed about moving away from gmail entirely and just syncing down
the mbox files from lore.kernel.org for linux-clk (or maybe that thing
that catches all the lists that have my kernel.org address in the to or
cc) and then writing a UI around mbox files that I can use to reply and
tag/update patchwork state. Basically treat lore as my email storage
database. This fails when people want to email me privately, so maybe
I'll have to keep injecting the patchwork files into my notmuch database
for now.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-16 19:35     ` Michael Turquette
@ 2020-01-17  2:19       ` Daniel Axtens
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Axtens @ 2020-01-17  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Turquette
  Cc: Lukas Bulwahn, workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu,
	Stephen Boyd, stewart

Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 4:59 PM Daniel Axtens <dja@axtens.net> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi Lukas,
>> >
>> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:06 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Dear all,
>> >>
>> >> Till Kamppeter and Aveek Basu organize the Google Summer of Code
>> >> student mentoring program in the name of the Linux Foundation. They
>> >> have set up a page for project ideas for the Linux Foundation's
>> >> participation in the linuxfoundation wiki:
>> >>
>> >> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2020
>> >>
>> >> I believe many ideas discussed here on this list, e.g., extensions to
>> >> patchwork, public-inbox, further bots, scripts, etc., are well suited
>> >> to be prototyped or implemented by students in the GSoC program.
>> >>
>> >> If you agree and have some good ideas, please add your ideas to this
>> >> currently still empty draft page:
>> >>
>> >> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-kernel-workflows
>> >
>> > I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
>> > with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
>> > coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
>> > Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
>> > proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
>> > talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
>> > cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
>> > of my laptop.
>>
>>
>> <pw maintainer hat>
>> Let me know if there's anything you need in the REST API for this. We're
>> going to cut 2.2 Real Soon Now, which will be your last chance until 3.0
>> which, given our general velocity, will not be out until late 2020.
>
> Thanks for the support Daniel. The current solution that I use is
> based on the pwclient tool, and I have no idea if that uses the REST
> api under the hood or not. If this project gets picked up by students
> in GSoC then hopefully they can provide feedback to you on any API
> enhancements.

Ironically the pwclient tool is one of the last users of the old XMLRPC
API, but we're hoping to convert it eventually.

>
> I do have a working setup on gitlab that I can share, but again this
> assumes Notmuch is part of the toolchain.
>

No stress at the moment, I'll get in touch if I need more info.

Stewart Smith also had a similar setup:
https://www.flamingspork.com/blog/2018/08/22/pwnm-sync-synchronizing-patchwork-and-notmuch/

Regards,
Daniel

> Best,
> Mike
>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>>
>>
>> > From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
>> > sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
>> > tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
>> > might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
>> > a big win IMO, and I can just use email.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Mike
>> >
>> >>
>> >> Ideas should be roughly described in five to six sentences, possibly
>> >> with a list of expectations on required knowledge a student should
>> >> show for its application. Within the application period later,
>> >> interested students have to write a much more extensive project
>> >> proposal as part of their application, by exchanging with the group to
>> >> refine the rough idea to a proper task and student project.
>> >>
>> >> Please also take into account that the deadline for the application as
>> >> mentoring organization is Feb 5 and after that Google will evaluate
>> >> the applications. So have the ideas (at least most of them, ideas can
>> >> be posted up to the student application deadline) in by then to raise
>> >> chances to get accepted and get slots for students assigned.
>> >>
>> >> If you have any questions concerning GSoC organisation, you can reach
>> >> out to Till, Aveek or me.
>> >>
>> >> Best regards,
>> >>
>> >> Lukas
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael Turquette
>> > CEO - Los Angeles, CA
>> > BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
>> > http://baylibre.com/
>> > Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette
>
>
>
> -- 
> Michael Turquette
> CEO - Los Angeles, CA
> BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
> http://baylibre.com/
> Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-15 22:07 ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-15 23:03   ` Bjorn Helgaas
  2020-01-16  0:59   ` Daniel Axtens
@ 2020-01-17 20:25   ` Lukas Bulwahn
  2020-01-17 20:38     ` Michael Turquette
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-01-17 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Turquette; +Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:07 PM Michael Turquette
<mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
>
> I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
> with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
> coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
> Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
> proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
> talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
> cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
> of my laptop.
>
> From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
> sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
> tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
> might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
> a big win IMO, and I can just use email.
>

Michael, thanks for this first proposal. Would you also be interested
in mentoring this project idea or should we ask and look for potential
mentors for this project?

Of course, more proposals are welcome :)


Lukas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-17 20:25   ` Lukas Bulwahn
@ 2020-01-17 20:38     ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-18  7:18       ` Lukas Bulwahn
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Michael Turquette @ 2020-01-17 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:25 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:07 PM Michael Turquette
> <mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
> >
> > I added the first entry, "Bidirectionally sync Patchwork patch status
> > with Gmail labels". Stephen Boyd and I use a local solution to
> > coordinate patches in the Linux Clk tree. Our solution requires
> > Patchwork + the Notmuch mail indexer + Gmail/G Suite to work. My
> > proposal is to remove the Notmuch requirements and teach Patchwork to
> > talk directly to Gmail (and vice versa), perhaps via a solution in the
> > cloud, running on a server somewhere, and not dependent on the uptime
> > of my laptop.
> >
> > From my discussions with kernel devs, I believe there is a reasonably
> > sized Venn diagram of people that use both Patchwork for patch
> > tracking as well as Gmail/G Suite for email. Having those two talk
> > might mean that I never have to use the Patchwork web interface again,
> > a big win IMO, and I can just use email.
> >
>
> Michael, thanks for this first proposal. Would you also be interested
> in mentoring this project idea or should we ask and look for potential
> mentors for this project?

I would be interested in learning more about the duties and
expectations of mentorship. Do you have a link? If it's not too much
work to add to my load then consider me interested.

Best regards,
Mike

>
> Of course, more proposals are welcome :)
>
>
> Lukas



-- 
Michael Turquette
CEO - Los Angeles, CA
BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
http://baylibre.com/
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-17 20:38     ` Michael Turquette
@ 2020-01-18  7:18       ` Lukas Bulwahn
  2020-01-21 22:14         ` Michael Turquette
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-01-18  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Turquette; +Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Michael Turquette
<mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
>
> I would be interested in learning more about the duties and
> expectations of mentorship. Do you have a link? If it's not too much
> work to add to my load then consider me interested.
>

The mentor GSoC guide tells you all you need to know:

https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/

Lukas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-18  7:18       ` Lukas Bulwahn
@ 2020-01-21 22:14         ` Michael Turquette
  2020-01-22  6:18           ` Lukas Bulwahn
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Michael Turquette @ 2020-01-21 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:18 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Michael Turquette
> <mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would be interested in learning more about the duties and
> > expectations of mentorship. Do you have a link? If it's not too much
> > work to add to my load then consider me interested.
> >
>
> The mentor GSoC guide tells you all you need to know:
>
> https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/

Count me in. The project that I described would be a new solution or
utility, and commits may not go into an existing open source project.
Is that OK for GSoC? If not then I have a related project idea that
would include code contributions to an existing FOSS project on
github, but prefer the current submission as-is.

Best regards,
Mike

>
> Lukas



-- 
Michael Turquette
CEO - Los Angeles, CA
BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
http://baylibre.com/
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-21 22:14         ` Michael Turquette
@ 2020-01-22  6:18           ` Lukas Bulwahn
  2020-01-22 22:22             ` Michael Turquette
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-01-22  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Turquette; +Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:15 PM Michael Turquette
<mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:18 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Michael Turquette
> > <mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I would be interested in learning more about the duties and
> > > expectations of mentorship. Do you have a link? If it's not too much
> > > work to add to my load then consider me interested.
> > >
> >
> > The mentor GSoC guide tells you all you need to know:
> >
> > https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/
>
> Count me in. The project that I described would be a new solution or
> utility, and commits may not go into an existing open source project.
> Is that OK for GSoC? If not then I have a related project idea that
> would include code contributions to an existing FOSS project on
> github, but prefer the current submission as-is.
>

Great!

I have not check the Terms in full depth here:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/terms/org
and IANAL.

As I see it:

- Mentor organizations must run an active open source or free software project.
- Have produced and released software under an OSI approved license.

(https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/) is all covered.

Important aspects for GSoC are:

- there is a larger community for the student to announce his work,
reach out to and impact: in this case, Linux kernel community, kernel
workflows group, patchwork project team; we are well covered here.
- it is published under an open-source license, that is clear how to cover here.
- it becomes at some point a part of the larger software project. I
would suggest that the work is in the end documented with pointers to
sources etc. in the kernel maintainer handbook, i.e.,
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/maintainer/index.html, with a
suitable section on the topic. That gives a maintainer (that has time
to read the kernel documentation) a fair chance of finding out about
this tool.


Best regards,

Lukas


Lukas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program?
  2020-01-22  6:18           ` Lukas Bulwahn
@ 2020-01-22 22:22             ` Michael Turquette
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Michael Turquette @ 2020-01-22 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: workflows, Till Kamppeter, Aveek Basu, Stephen Boyd

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 10:19 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:15 PM Michael Turquette
> <mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:18 PM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Michael Turquette
> > > <mturquette@baylibre.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I would be interested in learning more about the duties and
> > > > expectations of mentorship. Do you have a link? If it's not too much
> > > > work to add to my load then consider me interested.
> > > >
> > >
> > > The mentor GSoC guide tells you all you need to know:
> > >
> > > https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/
> >
> > Count me in. The project that I described would be a new solution or
> > utility, and commits may not go into an existing open source project.
> > Is that OK for GSoC? If not then I have a related project idea that
> > would include code contributions to an existing FOSS project on
> > github, but prefer the current submission as-is.
> >
>
> Great!
>
> I have not check the Terms in full depth here:
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/terms/org
> and IANAL.
>
> As I see it:
>
> - Mentor organizations must run an active open source or free software project.
> - Have produced and released software under an OSI approved license.
>
> (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/) is all covered.
>
> Important aspects for GSoC are:
>
> - there is a larger community for the student to announce his work,
> reach out to and impact: in this case, Linux kernel community, kernel
> workflows group, patchwork project team; we are well covered here.
> - it is published under an open-source license, that is clear how to cover here.
> - it becomes at some point a part of the larger software project. I
> would suggest that the work is in the end documented with pointers to
> sources etc. in the kernel maintainer handbook, i.e.,
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/maintainer/index.html, with a
> suitable section on the topic. That gives a maintainer (that has time
> to read the kernel documentation) a fair chance of finding out about
> this tool.

Agreed on all points.

Best,
Mike

>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lukas
>
>
> Lukas



-- 
Michael Turquette
CEO - Los Angeles, CA
BayLibre - At the Heart of Embedded Linux
http://baylibre.com/
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/mturquette

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 14+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-01-14 18:07 Explore ideas on workflows improvements with Google Summer of Code mentoring program? Lukas Bulwahn
2020-01-15 22:07 ` Michael Turquette
2020-01-15 23:03   ` Bjorn Helgaas
2020-01-16 19:39     ` Michael Turquette
2020-01-17  1:34     ` Stephen Boyd
2020-01-16  0:59   ` Daniel Axtens
2020-01-16 19:35     ` Michael Turquette
2020-01-17  2:19       ` Daniel Axtens
2020-01-17 20:25   ` Lukas Bulwahn
2020-01-17 20:38     ` Michael Turquette
2020-01-18  7:18       ` Lukas Bulwahn
2020-01-21 22:14         ` Michael Turquette
2020-01-22  6:18           ` Lukas Bulwahn
2020-01-22 22:22             ` Michael Turquette

Workflows Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/workflows/0 workflows/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 workflows workflows/ https://lore.kernel.org/workflows \
		workflows@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index workflows

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.workflows


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git