* [mlmmj] server switch over
@ 2021-01-25 22:08 Geert Stappers
                   ` (10 more replies)
From: Geert Stappers @ 2021-01-25 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Previous-Subject: Re: [mlmmj] server requirements Was: distribution "dead upstream" discussion

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 09:19:35AM +0100, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
> Am 22.01.21 um 07:53 schrieb Geert Stappers:
>
> >> Hello, do you have any idea how much traffic the website and mailinglist
> >> generate per month?
> >
> > Expect "low",  an amount of traffic that easily fits
> > on a low cost VPS.   ("low cost VPS"  a virtual private server that comes
> > for the price of half a cinema ticket, something fairly easy to pay.)
> >
> > I'm willing to chip in to prevent any form of advertisment.
>
> Yes, we are in the same money zone. :-)
>
> I'm a member of a German cooperative called Hostsharing, its an Open
> Source Hoster which runs its machines on Debian. I asked the people, we
> can donate some webspace and Traffic for the Mlmmj community.
>
> The machines here are managed and run (between others) Mlmmj and Apache
> on Debian (currently) Buster, so I think it would be no problem to host
> the website and also this very small mailinglist.
>
> This would be enough:
> https://www.hostsharing.net/angebote/managed-webspace/
>
> I am (as well as the people at Hostsharing) personally interested in the
> continuation of the Mlmmj community, because I want to use Mlmmj as a
> successor for the dying Mailman 2.
>
> So Geert, now you have two offers to choose between. :-)

IIRC has the other choice the status "asking, I be back"

The reason for server switch over is being able to update the website.

Previous requests on website update went unanswered. It is still fine is
someone says "Oh, I can update http://mlmmj.org/"

Plan for server switch over

* Mads Martin  says something like "Yes, those who have DNS of mlmmj.org
  are with us for this transfer"
* Now it makes sense for going further
* We have a Virtual Private Server
* We prepare that VPS
** Webserver
** website content
** Mailserver
** mlmmj
* Some checks
* Go / no go  decission
* Happy flow continues
* DNS update
* DNS cache delay
* We are switched over
* Happy ever after with those who care about mlmmj

Regards
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
@ 2021-01-26  0:15 ` Mads Martin Jørgensen
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Mads Martin Jørgensen @ 2021-01-26  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Let me know when the new site is up on a temporary URL, so I can have a peek.

> On 25 Jan 2021, at 23.08, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
>
> * Mads Martin  says something like "Yes, those who have DNS of mlmmj.org
>  are with us for this transfer"

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
@ 2021-01-26  8:26 ` Christof Thalhofer
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Christof Thalhofer @ 2021-01-26  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Am 25.01.21 um 23:08 schrieb Geert Stappers:

> The reason for server switch over is being able to update the website.
>
> Previous requests on website update went unanswered. It is still fine is
> someone says "Oh, I can update http://mlmmj.org/"

I am not that guy.

Together with Hostsharing i can offer webspace on a shared server. There
the mlmmj community can create several unix users, in whose homedirs the
website and the mailinglist can run as well as other common things like
Git for example.

A Vps is not necessary as the shared webspace at HS is equally powerful
at minimum. In addition, the server is managed by the admin team at HS,
which means that no one has to worry about the operating system or
updates/upgrades. If the website is static HTML, it can basically be
there forever without anyone having to worry much about hacks and such
things.

On the servers at HS Mlmmj is installed by default, so the mailinglist
can be run there as long as the data and configuration files can be copied.

What i can do is giving support on how to manage the webspace (users,
[sub-]domains, email accounts and so on).

But i can do no webdesign, maintenance of the mailinglist etc. I also
don't want to be the owner of mlmmj.org.

So if someone says "i do it" we can connect with each other and start
copying the website to the HS space and if all looks nice then transfer
the domain.

And if someone says, i prefer to do it on my own webspace, then i think
that's fine, because then i don't have much work to do.

:-)

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
@ 2021-01-26 13:30 ` Mads Martin Jørgensen
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Mads Martin Jørgensen @ 2021-01-26 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Who is actually maintaining the mlmmj.org server? MX points to mlmmj.org and mlmmj.org is rackspace. So I wonder if anyone remembers who it is?

--
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and
totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" - A. P. J

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-26 15:13 ` jf-mlmmj
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: jf-mlmmj @ 2021-01-26 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 2021-01-25 at 23:08+0100 Geert Stappers wrote:
> IIRC has the other choice the status "asking, I be back"

I’ve asked Mythic Beasts and this was their reply:

>> Yes, we'd be happy to support mlmmj in return for a short
>> acknowledgement, e.g. in the page footer as on the valgrind
>> site. Decent open source mailing lists software is something
>> we get a lot of benefit from, so we're keen to support
>> projects in this field. We can certainly do the same as we do
>> for valgrind, which is to throw free bandwidth on top of a
>> standard paid virtual server, but it sounds like that might
>> not be all that helpful if you anticipate it being a low
>> bandwidth. As an alternative, we'd do a 50% discount on a
>> server up to a VPS 4, or a 25% discount on a bigger VPS.

I’m not sure how useful that is. If you think this is worth
pursuing, I could ask them whether they would be willing to
apply the discount to my current VPS2, in which case if it’s big
enough I could host mlmmj for nothing and pay for the domain
renewals too. It’s possible that the mlmmj requirements are
small enough that I could just add it to the domains on my VPS,
though that wouldn’t pay for the domain.

  — Jón

--
Jón Fairbairn                             Jon.Fairbairn@bookofsand.co.uk
31 Chalmers Road                                  jf@littlepinkcloud.com

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-26 17:32 ` Christian Stærk
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Stærk @ 2021-01-26 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

From searching back on the list, it looks like Wolf Bergenham <wolf+mlmmj@bergenheim.net> is in charge of the current server.

I believe that I am in charge of the domain and have been paying for it for quite a while. I will be happy to transfer it to whoever should be the owner going forward and I can of course change the DNS records in the short term.

Best regards
Christian

tir 26. jan 2021 klokken 14:30 skrev Mads Martin Jørgensen:
> Who is actually maintaining the mlmmj.org server? MX points to
> mlmmj.org and mlmmj.org is rackspace. So I wonder if anyone remembers
> who it is?
>
> > On 26 Jan 2021, at 09.26, Christof Thalhofer <chrisml@deganius.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am 25.01.21 um 23:08 schrieb Geert Stappers:
> >
> >> The reason for server switch over is being able to update the website.
> >>
> >> Previous requests on website update went unanswered. It is still fine is
> >> someone says "Oh, I can update http://mlmmj.org/"
> >
> > I am not that guy.
> >
> > Together with Hostsharing i can offer webspace on a shared server. There
> > the mlmmj community can create several unix users, in whose homedirs the
> > website and the mailinglist can run as well as other common things like
> > Git for example.
> >
> > A Vps is not necessary as the shared webspace at HS is equally powerful
> > at minimum. In addition, the server is managed by the admin team at HS,
> > which means that no one has to worry about the operating system or
> > updates/upgrades. If the website is static HTML, it can basically be
> > there forever without anyone having to worry much about hacks and such
> > things.
> >
> > On the servers at HS Mlmmj is installed by default, so the mailinglist
> > can be run there as long as the data and configuration files can be copied.
> >
> > What i can do is giving support on how to manage the webspace (users,
> > [sub-]domains, email accounts and so on).
> >
> > But i can do no webdesign, maintenance of the mailinglist etc. I also
> > don't want to be the owner of mlmmj.org.
> >
> > So if someone says "i do it" we can connect with each other and start
> > copying the website to the HS space and if all looks nice then transfer
> > the domain.
> >
> > And if someone says, i prefer to do it on my own webspace, then i think
> > that's fine, because then i don't have much work to do.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Alles Gute
> >
> > Christof Thalhofer
> >
> > --
> > Dies ist keine Signatur
> >

> --
> "Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and
> totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?" - A. P. J

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-26 18:55 ` A. Schulze
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: A. Schulze @ 2021-01-26 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Am 26.01.21 um 18:32 schrieb Christian Stærk:

> I believe that I am in charge of the domain and have been paying for it for quite a while. I will be happy to transfer it to whoever should be the owner going forward and I can of course change the DNS records in the short term.

I could offer DNS Hosting as well as domain takeover to my registrar.
That would cost me ~20 € per year. I'll see this as my contribution.

Andreas

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-26 19:34 ` Piotr Auksztulewicz
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Piotr Auksztulewicz @ 2021-01-26 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 07:55:02PM +0100, A. Schulze wrote:
> I could offer DNS Hosting as well as domain takeover to my registrar.

For your information guys, there are several free DNS hosting services.
The one I use and recommend is freedns.42.pl - I've used others before,
but this one is very stable and run by a person I trust: Piotr Kucharski,
former IT admin of a major Polish university, and one of the big names
of the early Polish Internet.

--
Piotr "Malgond" Auksztulewicz                     firstname@lastname.net

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-27  9:18 ` Christof Thalhofer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christof Thalhofer @ 2021-01-27  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Am 26.01.21 um 09:26 schrieb Christof Thalhofer:

> But i can do no webdesign, maintenance of the mailinglist etc. I also
> don't want to be the owner of mlmmj.org.

What i forgot: We can also transfer the domain to Hostsharing that it
can be registered there and the DNS is done by HS. This would be
convenient because then the DNS Zonefiles could be altered/adapted
easily. Think of SPF entries or subdomains for instance. A domain at HS
costs 20 EUR/year. But we also can create the webspace with the
domainname at another DNS service pointing to the IP at HS. It would be
simply less convenient.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-05-01  9:16 ` Wolf Bergenheim
From: Wolf Bergenheim @ 2022-05-01  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

After sum huffing and puffing I have gotten the main site back up, and
also, most importantly, the mlmmj.org lists up and running again.

Thank you to all who helped!

There are still some sub--parts of the website not working quite correctly,
and here is where I'd like to know more from you. Is it worth fixing those,
or should I somehow (?) edit the website to point to the gitlab? Where is
development happening nowadays? Where are issues being tracked? Is it all
happening on gitlab?

Also if someone wants access to the web server reach out to me I can add
your ssh key to the mlmmj user so you can ssh into the server.

--Wolf

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-05-01 17:18 ` A. Schulze
From: A. Schulze @ 2022-05-01 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Am 01.05.22 um 11:16 schrieb Wolf Bergenheim:
> After sum huffing and puffing I have gotten the main site back up, and also, most importantly, the mlmmj.org <http://mlmmj.org> lists up and running again.
>
> Thank you to all who helped!
>
> There are still some sub--parts of the website not working quite correctly, and here is where I'd like to know more from you. Is it worth fixing those, or should I somehow (?) edit the website to point to the gitlab? Where is development happening nowadays? Where are issues being tracked? Is it all happening on gitlab?
>
> Also if someone wants access to the web server reach out to me I can add your ssh key to the mlmmj user so you can ssh into the server.

Hello Wolf,

Thanks for your effort to get mlmmj.org up & running again.
I looks like the domain should receive some further care: https://www.hardenize.com/report/mlmmj.org/1651425079

I may have a look at the servers an suggest / implement improvements. If this is desired, please add
https://andreasschulze.de/authorized_keys

Andreas

(also running mlmmj at dnswl.org)

* Re: [mlmmj] server switch over