* [mlmmj] server switch over
@ 2021-01-25 22:08 Geert Stappers
                   ` (10 more replies)
From: Geert Stappers @ 2021-01-25 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Previous-Subject: Re: [mlmmj] server requirements Was: distribution "dead upstream" discussion

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 09:19:35AM +0100, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
> Am 22.01.21 um 07:53 schrieb Geert Stappers:
>
> >> Hello, do you have any idea how much traffic the website and mailinglist
> >> generate per month?
> >
> > Expect "low",  an amount of traffic that easily fits
> > on a low cost VPS.   ("low cost VPS"  a virtual private server that comes
> > for the price of half a cinema ticket, something fairly easy to pay.)
> >
> > I'm willing to chip in to prevent any form of advertisment.
>
> Yes, we are in the same money zone. :-)
>
> I'm a member of a German cooperative called Hostsharing, its an Open
> Source Hoster which runs its machines on Debian. I asked the people, we
> can donate some webspace and Traffic for the Mlmmj community.
>
> The machines here are managed and run (between others) Mlmmj and Apache
> on Debian (currently) Buster, so I think it would be no problem to host
> the website and also this very small mailinglist.
>
> This would be enough:
> https://www.hostsharing.net/angebote/managed-webspace/
>
> I am (as well as the people at Hostsharing) personally interested in the
> continuation of the Mlmmj community, because I want to use Mlmmj as a
> successor for the dying Mailman 2.
>
> So Geert, now you have two offers to choose between. :-)

IIRC has the other choice the status "asking, I be back"

The reason for server switch over is being able to update the website.

Previous requests on website update went unanswered. It is still fine is
someone says "Oh, I can update http://mlmmj.org/"

Plan for server switch over

* Mads Martin  says something like "Yes, those who have DNS of mlmmj.org
  are with us for this transfer"
* Now it makes sense for going further
* We have a Virtual Private Server
* We prepare that VPS
** Webserver
** website content
** Mailserver
** mlmmj
* Some checks
* Go / no go  decission
* Happy flow continues
* DNS update
* DNS cache delay
* We are switched over
* Happy ever after with those who care about mlmmj

Regards
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse