* Modules problem part-2
@ 2004-01-05 18:25 joy
From: joy @ 2004-01-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

hi,
I did what was told of  me, make modules and make install and the
modules were in place.
but the other problem I had with lsmod and insmod giving me error stating:
QM_MODULES function not implemented
refuses to go away
even at bootup ,
when init runs modprobe, the same error appears a LOT of times.(it
scrolls fast but I could just make out!)

Any ideas?
Thanx in advance,
Joy

* Re: Modules problem part-2
@ 2004-01-05 18:53 ` Ray Olszewski
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-01-05 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 11:55 PM 1/5/2004 +0530, joy wrote:

>hi,
>I did what was told of  me, make modules and make install and the modules
>were in place.
>but the other problem I had with lsmod and insmod giving me error stating:
>QM_MODULES function not implemented
>refuses to go away
>even at bootup ,
>when init runs modprobe, the same error appears a LOT of times.(it scrolls
>fast but I could just make out!)

It sounds like you (or whoever compiled your kernel) did not compile in
loadable modules support. (In 2.4.x kernels, which I still use, this is the
second item in the "make menuconfig" setup list, so you might look in a
similar location in the 2.6.x configuration.)

In the 2.4.x kernels, the relevant section of the actual config file is

         #
         # Loadable module support
         #
         CONFIG_MODULES=y
         CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
         CONFIG_KMOD=y

Here too, you might look for something similar in the 2.6.x config file ...
the "QM_MODULES" name might indicate a change in terminology.

-

* Re: Modules problem part-2
@ 2004-01-05 19:31   ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2004-01-05 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 11:55 PM 1/5/2004 +0530, joy wrote:
>
> >hi,
> >I did what was told of  me, make modules and make install and the modules
> >were in place.
> >but the other problem I had with lsmod and insmod giving me error stating:
> >QM_MODULES function not implemented
> >refuses to go away
> >even at bootup ,
> >when init runs modprobe, the same error appears a LOT of times.(it scrolls
> >fast but I could just make out!)
>
> It sounds like you (or whoever compiled your kernel) did not compile in
> loadable modules support. (In 2.4.x kernels, which I still use, this is the
> second item in the "make menuconfig" setup list, so you might look in a
> similar location in the 2.6.x configuration.)
>
> In the 2.4.x kernels, the relevant section of the actual config file is
>
>          #
>          # Loadable module support
>          #
>          CONFIG_MODULES=y
>          CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
>          CONFIG_KMOD=y
>
> Here too, you might look for something similar in the 2.6.x config file ...
> the "QM_MODULES" name might indicate a change in terminology.

Here's what I've got in my 2.6.0 kernel .config file relevant to this:

#
# Loadable module support
#
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD is not set
CONFIG_OBSOLETE_MODPARM=y
# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set
CONFIG_KMOD=y

James
-

* Re: Modules problem part-2
@ 2004-01-05 21:42   ` caszonyi
From: caszonyi @ 2004-01-05 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 11:55 PM 1/5/2004 +0530, joy wrote:
>
> >hi,
>
> Here too, you might look for something similar in the 2.6.x config file ...
> the "QM_MODULES" name might indicate a change in terminology.

no
this message appears when using old modutils with a 2.6 kernel
Kernel 2.6 require module-init-tools

--
"A mouse is a device used to point at
the xterm you want to type in".

* Re: Modules problem part-2
@ 2004-01-06  6:18   ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2004-01-06  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski, linux-newbie

On Monday 05 January 2004 19:53, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> At 11:55 PM 1/5/2004 +0530, joy wrote:
> >hi,
> >I did what was told of  me, make modules and make install and the modules
> >were in place.
> >but the other problem I had with lsmod and insmod giving me error stating:
> >QM_MODULES function not implemented
> >refuses to go away
> >even at bootup ,
> >when init runs modprobe, the same error appears a LOT of times.(it scrolls
> >fast but I could just make out!)
>
> It sounds like you (or whoever compiled your kernel) did not compile in
> loadable modules support. (In 2.4.x kernels, which I still use, this is the
> second item in the "make menuconfig" setup list, so you might look in a
> similar location in the 2.6.x configuration.)
>
> In the 2.4.x kernels, the relevant section of the actual config file is
>
>          #
>          # Loadable module support
>          #
>          CONFIG_MODULES=y
>          CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
>          CONFIG_KMOD=y
>
> Here too, you might look for something similar in the 2.6.x config file ...
> the "QM_MODULES" name might indicate a change in terminology.

AFAIK Joy has NOT followed my advice, to be more precise, Joy quite possably
needs to install a new set of modules utilitys which is mentioned in the
Changes file (of which i mentioned in my last mail).

Use google and type in QM_MODULES as the search and one will see that Joy is
not the first to have this problem.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

-

* Re: Modules problem part-2
@ 2004-01-06 11:53     ` joy
From: joy @ 2004-01-06 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pa3gcu; +Cc: Ray Olszewski, linux-newbie

pa3gcu wrote:

>On Monday 05 January 2004 19:53, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>

>>At 11:55 PM 1/5/2004 +0530, joy wrote:
>>

>>>hi,
>>>I did what was told of  me, make modules and make install and the modules
>>>were in place.
>>>but the other problem I had with lsmod and insmod giving me error stating:
>>>QM_MODULES function not implemented
>>>refuses to go away
>>>even at bootup ,
>>>when init runs modprobe, the same error appears a LOT of times.(it scrolls
>>>fast but I could just make out!)
>>>

>>It sounds like you (or whoever compiled your kernel) did not compile in
>>loadable modules support. (In 2.4.x kernels, which I still use, this is the
>>second item in the "make menuconfig" setup list, so you might look in a
>>similar location in the 2.6.x configuration.)
>>
>>In the 2.4.x kernels, the relevant section of the actual config file is
>>
>>         #
>>         # Loadable module support
>>         #
>>         CONFIG_MODULES=y
>>         CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
>>         CONFIG_KMOD=y
>>
>>Here too, you might look for something similar in the 2.6.x config file ...
>>the "QM_MODULES" name might indicate a change in terminology.
>>

>AFAIK Joy has NOT followed my advice, to be more precise, Joy quite possably
>needs to install a new set of modules utilitys which is mentioned in the
>Changes file (of which i mentioned in my last mail).
>
>Use google and type in QM_MODULES as the search and one will see that Joy is
>not the first to have this problem.

Hi pa3gcu (please tell me how to pronounce it),
I did exactly what you told me to do.
I went thru the debug mesgs and found that module-init-tools is reqd.,
downloaded it,
and installed.
Well,
lsmod and insmod now work perfect, but init's modprobe stills curses the
hell out of me.
I'll compile another time and see if I can get it working......
See ya soon,
Joy

* Re: Modules problem part-2
@ 2004-01-07  7:14       ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2004-01-07  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gracecott; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 12:53, joy wrote:
> Hi pa3gcu (please tell me how to pronounce it),

Prounouce it "Richard".
 pa3gcu is my Radio Ham callsign.

> I did exactly what you told me to do.
> I went thru the debug mesgs and found that module-init-tools is reqd.,
> downloaded it,
> and installed.
> Well,
> lsmod and insmod now work perfect, but init's modprobe stills curses the
> hell out of me.

Possably because you did not read the README and INSTALL files in the
mod-utils package (properly) before you compiled and installed them.

> I'll compile another time and see if I can get it working......

Bad option, do some reading first.

You may want to also try using www.google.com/linux to find more info about
your problem, others have been there and done that, so see what they did to
correct the problem.