* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-27  1:10 Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-06-27  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I'm dying to get my hands on some ath10k hardware, but can't find anyone actually
shipping NICs.

But, it looks like the TPLINK AC1750 AP has a QCA9880 NIC in it.

Has anyone tried putting one of these in a normal-ish PC and see if
it works with the ath10k driver?

Here's a link to the picture for anyone curious:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24424655

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-27  1:14 ` Joel Wirāmu Pauling
From: Joel Wirāmu Pauling @ 2013-06-27  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

You are probably better off at this point buying full fledged AP's rather
than adaptor cards. The few that are on the market are all USB2.0 based;
which isn't ideal.

-Joel

On 27 June 2013 13:10, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:

> I'm dying to get my hands on some ath10k hardware, but can't find anyone
> actually
> shipping NICs.
>
> But, it looks like the TPLINK AC1750 AP has a QCA9880 NIC in it.
>
> Has anyone tried putting one of these in a normal-ish PC and see if
> it works with the ath10k driver?
>
> Here's a link to the picture for anyone curious:
> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24424655
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-27  1:32   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-06-27  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 06/26/2013 06:14 PM, Joel Wir?mu Pauling wrote:
> You are probably better off at this point buying full fledged AP's rather than adaptor cards. The few that are on the market are all USB2.0 based; which isn't
> ideal.

That would be fine with me...I'm trying to find an AP with a real pci-e NIC that I can
take out and put in a PC.

It seems some APs solder chips on the motherboard these days, so
I was hoping someone might point me to an appropriate AP before I
get too large of a collection of APs lying around :)

Thanks,
Ben

@ 2013-06-27  2:09 ` Sujith Manoharan
From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2013-06-27  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Ben Greear wrote:
> I'm dying to get my hands on some ath10k hardware, but can't find anyone actually
> shipping NICs.
>
> But, it looks like the TPLINK AC1750 AP has a QCA9880 NIC in it.
>
> Has anyone tried putting one of these in a normal-ish PC and see if
> it works with the ath10k driver?

The card in Archer C7 is CUS223 v1.0 and it's supported by ath10k. I have
used it in a normal x86 PC using a mini PCI-E extender board.

Sujith

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-27  2:20   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-06-27  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 06/26/2013 07:09 PM, Sujith Manoharan wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>> I'm dying to get my hands on some ath10k hardware, but can't find anyone actually
>> shipping NICs.
>>
>> But, it looks like the TPLINK AC1750 AP has a QCA9880 NIC in it.
>>
>> Has anyone tried putting one of these in a normal-ish PC and see if
>> it works with the ath10k driver?
>
> The card in Archer C7 is CUS223 v1.0 and it's supported by ath10k. I have
> used it in a normal x86 PC using a mini PCI-E extender board.

Excellent!  I'll go order some more!  Not the most efficient way
to get NICs, but it will do for now.

Thanks,
Ben

--

@ 2013-06-27  2:59     ` Sujith Manoharan
From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2013-06-27  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Ben Greear wrote:
> Excellent!  I'll go order some more!  Not the most efficient way
> to get NICs, but it will do for now.

IMO, it's better to wait until the v2.0 cards are available.

Sujith

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-27  3:14       ` Ben Greear
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-06-27  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 06/26/2013 07:59 PM, Sujith Manoharan wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>> Excellent!  I'll go order some more!  Not the most efficient way
>> to get NICs, but it will do for now.
>
> IMO, it's better to wait until the v2.0 cards are available.

Seems to be a common suggestion!

I've already got a few v1 APs on order, maybe they will
at least give me something to get started with.

If you are at liberty to say, what sorts of issues should I
expect with the v1?  Or perhaps a better question:  How is the
v2 expected to be better?

(I haven't seen mention of any ath10k bug reports yet,
probably because the public generally doesn't have any
NICs yet...?)

Thanks,
Ben

--

@ 2013-06-27  5:33         ` Sujith Manoharan
From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2013-06-27  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Ben Greear wrote:
> I've already got a few v1 APs on order, maybe they will
> at least give me something to get started with.
>
> If you are at liberty to say, what sorts of issues should I
> expect with the v1?  Or perhaps a better question:  How is the
> v2 expected to be better?

Various HW issues have been addresed in v2. :)

Sujith

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-27  5:55         ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2013-06-27  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 27 June 2013 05:14, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
> I've already got a few v1 APs on order, maybe they will
> at least give me something to get started with.
>
> If you are at liberty to say, what sorts of issues should I
> expect with the v1?  Or perhaps a better question:  How is the
> v2 expected to be better?

There's no v1 firmware available at Kalle's github repo
(https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware) at this point. So you
either need to extract it from the AP (and hope the ABI is compatible)
or escalate the issue.

Pozdrawiam / Best Regards,
Micha? Kazior

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-27  6:09           ` Sujith Manoharan
From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2013-06-27  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Michal Kazior wrote:
> There's no v1 firmware available at Kalle's github repo
> (https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware) at this point. So you
> either need to extract it from the AP (and hope the ABI is compatible)
> or escalate the issue.

Weird. Kalle, any reason why the v1 FW is not in the repo ?
The FW in the AP is not compatible with ath10k, so we need it...

Sujith

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-28  7:21         ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2013-06-28  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> writes:

> On 06/26/2013 07:59 PM, Sujith Manoharan wrote:
>> Ben Greear wrote:
>>> Excellent!  I'll go order some more!  Not the most efficient way
>>> to get NICs, but it will do for now.
>>
>> IMO, it's better to wait until the v2.0 cards are available.
>
> Seems to be a common suggestion!
>
> I've already got a few v1 APs on order, maybe they will
> at least give me something to get started with.
>
> If you are at liberty to say, what sorts of issues should I
> expect with the v1?  Or perhaps a better question:  How is the
> v2 expected to be better?

Grep for ATH10K_PCI_FEATURE_HW_1_0_WARKAROUND and you see what
workarounds ath10k has for v1.

--
Kalle Valo

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-28  7:22             ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2013-06-28  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Sujith Manoharan <sujith@msujith.org> writes:

> Michal Kazior wrote:
>> There's no v1 firmware available at Kalle's github repo
>> (https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware) at this point. So you
>> either need to extract it from the AP (and hope the ABI is compatible)
>> or escalate the issue.
>
> Weird. Kalle, any reason why the v1 FW is not in the repo ?
> The FW in the AP is not compatible with ath10k, so we need it...

I'm on vacation and can't remember from top of my head. Will look at it
when I come back.

--
Kalle Valo

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-06-28 16:24               ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-06-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 06/28/2013 12:22 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Sujith Manoharan <sujith@msujith.org> writes:
>
>> Michal Kazior wrote:
>>> There's no v1 firmware available at Kalle's github repo
>>> (https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware) at this point. So you
>>> either need to extract it from the AP (and hope the ABI is compatible)
>>> or escalate the issue.
>>
>> Weird. Kalle, any reason why the v1 FW is not in the repo ?
>> The FW in the AP is not compatible with ath10k, so we need it...
>
> I'm on vacation and can't remember from top of my head. Will look at it
> when I come back.

Ok, hope you can make something available!

Even a fairly dodgy piece of firmware would be better than nothing at all...

Thanks,
Ben

--

@ 2013-07-02 17:12             ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-07-02 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 06/26/2013 11:09 PM, Sujith Manoharan wrote:
> Michal Kazior wrote:
>> There's no v1 firmware available at Kalle's github repo
>> (https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware) at this point. So you
>> either need to extract it from the AP (and hope the ABI is compatible)
>> or escalate the issue.
>
> Weird. Kalle, any reason why the v1 FW is not in the repo ?
> The FW in the AP is not compatible with ath10k, so we need it...

I got the v1 hardware today, can't wait to try it out.

I know Kalle is on vacation, but even an un-official v1
compatible firmware would be welcome in the meantime...

Thanks,
Ben

--

@ 2013-10-03 14:25               ` Konstantin Kuzov
From: Konstantin Kuzov @ 2013-10-03 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Kalle Valo <kvalo <at> qca.qualcomm.com> writes:

> Sujith Manoharan <sujith <at> msujith.org> writes:
>
> > Michal Kazior wrote:
> >> There's no v1 firmware available at Kalle's github repo
> >> (https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware) at this point. So you
> >> either need to extract it from the AP (and hope the ABI is compatible)
> >> or escalate the issue.
> >
> > Weird. Kalle, any reason why the v1 FW is not in the repo ?
> > The FW in the AP is not compatible with ath10k, so we need it...
>
> I'm on vacation and can't remember from top of my head. Will look at it
> when I come back.

Any news about v1 FW? Yeah, I know v1 support is dropped from ath10k long
time ago, but can you make available the last FW for v1 boards before that
occured?

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone tried using the QCA9880 NIC from the TPLINK AC1750 AP?
@ 2013-10-03 14:50                 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2013-10-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Well, you can extract the firmware yourself from the driver.

But the firmware and silicon also requires host driver workarounds and
slightly different firmware commands. So the firmware by itself isn't
enough.

If you're a company that wants to deploy v1 silicon commercially for some
reason then I suggest talking to QCA directly about it.

-a

(who btw doesn't work at QCA now; he works at Netflix..)

@ 2013-06-27 13:35 ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2013-06-27 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 06/27/2013 03:04 AM, Trevor Cullen wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Half minicard PCI-e WB342 2x2 802.11ac/n using QCA988x will be available
> soon for PCs.
>
> QCA are sampling them and ODMs are moving to production.
>
> CUS modules are non-standard Minicard size more suited to APs.

I need a 3x3, at least eventually.  As for sizing, I'm using
a pcie -> mini-pcie adapter board, as well as placing some directly
in motherboard mini-pcie slots.  So, as long as the screw holes match up, it shouldn't
be a problem if the NICs are a bit wider.

Please do post when your NICs are available though.  If there are no 3x3 available
yet then I'd be happy to try out some 2x2.

Thanks,
Ben

@ 2013-06-27 10:04 Trevor Cullen
From: Trevor Cullen @ 2013-06-27 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Ben,

Half minicard PCI-e WB342 2x2 802.11ac/n using QCA988x will be available
soon for PCs.

QCA are sampling them and ODMs are moving to production.

CUS modules are non-standard Minicard size more suited to APs.

Cheers

Trevor

?
Trevor Cullen BSc (Hons) MIoD