* Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-14  7:17 Ray Wells
From: Ray Wells @ 2014-02-14  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Hams

Over on the RPi list questions are being asked about a packet terminal
program for the RPi to satisfy a mild renewal of interest in connected
mode packet. As a one-time user of Linpac I decided to try to compile it
on the Pi but have run into problems with header files, with vector.h
being the one that is stumping further progress. I haven't so far found
a Debian package that provides vector.h. I've tried to compile both 0.16
and 0.17-pre with similar results.

I found an email in my archives from David Ranch, dated 21-09-12 in
which reference was made to someone running Linpac "with great results".
David is listed as the maintainer.

Is anyone here, and specifically David, able to shed any light on the
problem?

Ray vk2tv

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-14 17:08 ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2014-02-14 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Wells, Linux Hams

Hello Ray,

I'm actively working on (finally) releasing a new version of Linpac but
Autoconf has been a challenge.  I received some great help from the
Xastir folks but have a little more to go.  Anyway, I have your "vector"
and other issues have already been solved with these new patches and I
should be able to give you a hand.  I do plan on releasing a .debs in
the future but until then, try this for non-RPM based systems:

# 0 - Your dependencies will be gcc, perl, ncurses-libs, libax25, and
ax25mail-utils
#    All compiling details can be found here:
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#11.linpac

# 1 - I highly advise you do NOT compile things on your Rpi's SD card -
it will wear it out.  Do all your compiling
# via an NFS mount or an attached USB hard drive , etc.

# 2 - Get the sources (please note that the Ncurses based Linpac is the
one I've been focusing so far)
cd <your high-write cycle destination path>
wget
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/linpac/LinPac-unstable/0.17pre3/LinPac-0.17pre3.tar.gz

# 3 - Uncompress Linpac
tar xzvf LinPac-0.17pre3.tar.gz

#4 - Get all the required patches
cd LinPac-0.17pre3
wget -r -l1 --no-parent --no-directories -Alinpac0*
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/

#5 - Apply the patches
patch -p0 < linpac0-digi-length.diff
patch -p0 < linpac0-pcskprsnd.diff
patch -p0 < linpac0-compile-fixes.diff
patch -p0 < linpac0-compile-fixes2.diff

#6 - Configure and build it
./configure --prefix=/usr
make

The compiler is still throwing warnings but it builds ok on Centos6.5
today.  I would appreciate any feedback on how to clean up the warnings
as I'd like to get a 100% clean build before I post this new version on
SF.net.

#7 - Configure it up by reading the included manual.html documentation
and
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#11a.linpacconfig

PS.  I'm not on the Rpi list but if you would, please cross-post this
response over there as well.  I'd love to get more users on Linpac and
get some additional developers on board!

--David
KI6ZHD

> Over on the RPi list questions are being asked about a packet terminal
> program for the RPi to satisfy a mild renewal of interest in connected
> mode packet. As a one-time user of Linpac I decided to try to compile
> it on the Pi but have run into problems with header files, with
> vector.h being the one that is stumping further progress. I haven't so
> far found a Debian package that provides vector.h. I've tried to
> compile both 0.16 and 0.17-pre with similar results.
>
> I found an email in my archives from David Ranch, dated 21-09-12 in
> which reference was made to someone running Linpac "with great
> results". David is listed as the maintainer.
>
> Is anyone here, and specifically David, able to shed any light on the
> problem?

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-14 17:38 ` David Ranch

#4 - Get all the required patches
cd LinPac-0.17pre3

#5 - Apply the patches

#7 - Configure it up by reading the included manual.html documentation
and
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#11a.linpacconfig

PS.  I'm not on the Rpi list but if you would, please cross-post this
response over there as well.  I'd love to get more users on Linpac and
get some additional developers on board!

--David
KI6ZHD

> Over on the RPi list questions are being asked about a packet terminal
> program for the RPi to satisfy a mild renewal of interest in connected
> mode packet. As a one-time user of Linpac I decided to try to compile
> it on the Pi but have run into problems with header files, with
> vector.h being the one that is stumping further progress. I haven't so
> far found a Debian package that provides vector.h. I've tried to
> compile both 0.16 and 0.17-pre with similar results.
>
> I found an email in my archives from David Ranch, dated 21-09-12 in
> which reference was made to someone running Linpac "with great
> results". David is listed as the maintainer.
>
> Is anyone here, and specifically David, able to shed any light on the
> problem?

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-14 21:47   ` Ray Wells
From: Ray Wells @ 2014-02-14 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ranch, Linux Hams

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply and the information. This is great news.

#0 I didn't realise that ax25mail-utils was a dependency because the
documentation talks about getting mail as being optional. I've met the
other requirements.
#1 On this particular occasion I'm not concerned about the SD card
wearing out but I take your point. It's convenient at the moment to wear
out the card.
#2 I also have concentrated on the curses version. An attempt with the
Java version quite some years back failed and I walked away from it.
Besides, the curses version fits well with headless operation of the RPi.

I'll get and apply the patches and see what happens next. Another member
of the RPi list, Tom SP2LOB is also running with this project.

I'm not a programmer or a developer but my twenty years of Debian has
taught me what some of the compile errors mean, even if I can't resolve
them <grin>

Thanks, David.

Ray vk2tv

On 15/02/14 04:08, David Ranch wrote:

> [...]
> get some additional developers on board!
>

> --David
> KI6ZHD
>

>> Over on the RPi list questions are being asked about a packet
>> terminal program for the RPi to satisfy a mild renewal of interest in
>> connected mode packet. As a one-time user of Linpac I decided to try
>> to compile it on the Pi but have run into problems with header files,
>> with vector.h being the one that is stumping further progress. I
>> haven't so far found a Debian package that provides vector.h. I've
>> tried to compile both 0.16 and 0.17-pre with similar results.
>>
>> I found an email in my archives from David Ranch, dated 21-09-12 in
>> which reference was made to someone running Linpac "with great
>> results". David is listed as the maintainer.
>>
>> Is anyone here, and specifically David, able to shed any light on the

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-14 23:53     ` Ray Wells
From: Ray Wells @ 2014-02-14 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ranch, Linux Hams

David,

A correction on what I previously wrote about meeting dependencies.
ncurses-libs is not in the Debian repositories. In Debian I use
libncurses5-dev to meet dependencies when compiling kernel ax25 and I've
not yet had any curses header errors with Linpac. I'm guessing
libncurses5-dev provides the headers provided by ncurse-libs in RPM
based systems. Right/wrong???

Ray vk2tv

@ 2014-02-15  0:40       ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2014-02-15  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Wells, Linux Hams

Hello Ray,

This is a classic example of why maintaining software is difficult in
Linux.. everyone distro seems to want a different name for the same
package.  Regardless, what you have on your Rpi seems Ok.

I'll try compiling it on my Rpi too (it's running F6BVP's version of
Raspian which is based on Wheezy).

--David

@ 2014-02-15  2:09         ` Joe Goforth
From: Joe Goforth @ 2014-02-15  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ranch, Linux Hams

Hi David, Gave it a go on the beaglebone but I couldn't get the axmail
to compile. It is looking a file called vector.c any clues? I think I
remember some email from you or someone else about that file?

--Joe

On 2/14/2014 4:40 PM, David Ranch wrote:

> Hello Ray,
>
> This is a classic example of why maintaining software is difficult in
> Linux.. everyone distro seems to want a different name for the same
> package.  Regardless, what you have on your Rpi seems Ok.
>
> I'll try compiling it on my Rpi too (it's running F6BVP's version of
> Raspian which is based on Wheezy).
>
> --David
>

> On 02/14/2014 03:53 PM, Ray Wells wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> A correction on what I previously wrote about meeting dependencies.
>> ncurses-libs is not in the Debian repositories. In Debian I use
>> libncurses5-dev to meet dependencies when compiling kernel ax25 and I've
>> not yet had any curses header errors with Linpac. I'm guessing
>> libncurses5-dev provides the headers provided by ncurse-libs in RPM
>> based systems. Right/wrong???
>>
>> Ray vk2tv
>>

>> On 15/02/14 08:47, Ray Wells wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply and the information. This is great news.
>>>
>>> #0 I didn't realise that ax25mail-utils was a dependency because the
>>> documentation talks about getting mail as being optional. I've met the
>>> other requirements.
>>> #1 On this particular occasion I'm not concerned about the SD card
>>> wearing out but I take your point. It's convenient at the moment to
>>> wear out the card.
>>> #2 I also have concentrated on the curses version. An attempt with the
>>> Java version quite some years back failed and I walked away from it.
>>> Besides, the curses version fits well with headless operation of the
>>> RPi.
>>>
>>> I'll get and apply the patches and see what happens next. Another
>>> member of the RPi list, Tom SP2LOB is also running with this project.
>>>
>>> I'm not a programmer or a developer but my twenty years of Debian has
>>> taught me what some of the compile errors mean, even if I can't
>>> resolve them <grin>
>>>
>>> Thanks, David.
>>>
>>> Ray vk2tv

>> --

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-15  2:47           ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2014-02-15  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Goforth, Linux Hams

> Hi David, Gave it a go on the beaglebone but I couldn't get the axmail
> to compile. It is looking a file called vector.c any clues? I think I
> remember some email from you or someone else about that file?

Ah.. ok, try this:

cd /tmp
wget
http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ax25mail/ax25mail-utils/0.11/ax25mail-utils-0.11.tar.gz

tar xzvf ax25mail-utils-0.11.tar.gz
cd ax25mail-utils-0.11

wget
http://ftp.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ax25mail-utils/ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff.gz

wget
www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ax25mail-utils_0.11-ulistd.diff

gunzip ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff.gz

patch -p1 < ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff
patch -p1 < ax25mail-utils_0.11-ulistd.diff

./configure
make

--David

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-16  0:24             ` Joe Goforth
From: Joe Goforth @ 2014-02-16  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ranch, Linux Hams

Hi David, That fixed the problem for the ax25mail-utils but I think it
broke the axmail.cc program. Now it complains it can't find vector.h and
fstream.h. I changed them to use the vector and fstream but that caused
more problems it couldn't find gets and some other functions then.

Best Regards,
Joe G.

On 2/14/2014 6:47 PM, David Ranch wrote:

>> Hi David, Gave it a go on the beaglebone but I couldn't get the axmail
>> to compile. It is looking a file called vector.c any clues? I think I
>> remember some email from you or someone else about that file?
>
> Ah.. ok, try this:
>
> cd /tmp
> wget
> http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ax25mail/ax25mail-utils/0.11/ax25mail-utils-0.11.tar.gz
>
> tar xzvf ax25mail-utils-0.11.tar.gz
> cd ax25mail-utils-0.11
>
> wget
> http://ftp.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ax25mail-utils/ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff.gz
>
> wget
> www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ax25mail-utils_0.11-ulistd.diff
>
> gunzip ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff.gz
>
> patch -p1 < ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff
> patch -p1 < ax25mail-utils_0.11-ulistd.diff
>
> ./configure
> make
>
> --David

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-16 16:49               ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2014-02-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Goforth, Linux Hams

Taking it offline not to bother the list on compile issues.  I put
together a script that will fetch the sources, patch them, etc.
If anyone is interested in the script, feel free to email me offline.

PS.  I've already been reaching out to various people to get the next
version of Linpac made available in EPEL, Ubuntu repos, etc.

--David

On 02/15/2014 04:24 PM, Joe Goforth wrote:
> Hi David, That fixed the problem for the ax25mail-utils but I think it
> broke the axmail.cc program. Now it complains it can't find vector.h and
> fstream.h. I changed them to use the vector and fstream but that caused
> more problems it couldn't find gets and some other functions then.
>
> Best Regards,
> Joe G.
>
> On 2/14/2014 6:47 PM, David Ranch wrote:
>>

>>> Hi David, Gave it a go on the beaglebone but I couldn't get the axmail
>>> to compile. It is looking a file called vector.c any clues? I think I
>>> remember some email from you or someone else about that file?
>>
>> Ah.. ok, try this:
>>
>> cd /tmp
>> wget
>> http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ax25mail/ax25mail-utils/0.11/ax25mail-utils-0.11.tar.gz
>>

>> tar xzvf ax25mail-utils-0.11.tar.gz
>> cd ax25mail-utils-0.11
>>
>> wget
>> http://ftp.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ax25mail-utils/ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff.gz
>>

>> wget
>> www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ax25mail-utils_0.11-ulistd.diff
>>

>> gunzip ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff.gz
>>
>> patch -p1 < ax25mail-utils_0.11-6.1.diff
>> patch -p1 < ax25mail-utils_0.11-ulistd.diff
>>
>> ./configure
>> make
>>
>> --David

* Re: Linpac on Raspberry Pi
@ 2014-02-17  9:57   ` folkert
From: folkert @ 2014-02-17  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ranch; +Cc: Ray Wells, Linux Hams

> # 1 - I highly advise you do NOT compile things on your Rpi's SD
> card - it will wear it out.  Do all your compiling
> # via an NFS mount or an attached USB hard drive , etc.

This can be fixed by using the f2fs on the SD card instead of ext3 (or
ext4).
f2fs is a logging filesystem which always uses a new block, never
rewrites the same block.
Small disadvantage is the garbage collector.
I've been running an RPI for almost a year with the same SD card while
using f2fs.

Folkert van Heusden

--
www.vanheusden.com/multitail - multitail is tail on steroids. multiple
               windows, filtering, coloring, anything you can think of