* [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release
@ 2009-08-26 21:00 Stephen Depooter
From: Stephen Depooter @ 2009-08-26 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glommer; +Cc: stephend, qemu-devel

There is a set of changes that have been applied to fix qemu crashes
when the SDL window is resized.  I have seen an arm specific fix get
added to master, as well as an apparently more general fix for all
architectures.  This should be applied to the stable branch as well.
AFAICT, these have only been applied to the stable branch.

The email from Aug 3, "fix sdl window resize" from Stefano Stabellini
is the general fix.

The thread from myself (from July 27) titled "SDL window Resize Crash"
has a patch from Blue Swirl that has been commited to the master
branch as well that fixed the arm specific version of the problem.

I don't have git commit IDs at the moment, but hopefully that should
give enough information to find them.

(I am sending this email from gmail since it allowed me to reply from
the mail archive and hopefully preserve relevant headers, please CC
stephend@xandros.com on replies)

Thanks

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release
@ 2009-08-27  1:09 ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-08-27  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Depooter; +Cc: stephend, glommer, qemu-devel

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Stephen
Depooter<stephen.depooter@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a set of changes that have been applied to fix qemu crashes
> when the SDL window is resized.  I have seen an arm specific fix get
> added to master, as well as an apparently more general fix for all
> architectures.  This should be applied to the stable branch as well.
> AFAICT, these have only been applied to the stable branch.
>
> The email from Aug 3, "fix sdl window resize" from Stefano Stabellini
> is the general fix.

I fail to see how. AFAICT, Window resizing was only implemented as
part of the patch that
implemented zoom capabilities, which is not present in the stable branch.

Thus, the patch you point to, fixes a piece of code that does not
exist at all in the stable
branch. How then can it be needed to fix anything you're seeing?

--
Glauber  Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release
@ 2009-08-27  1:23   ` Stephen Depooter
From: Stephen Depooter @ 2009-08-27  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: glommer, qemu-devel

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 09:09:23 pm Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Stephen
>
> Depooter<stephen.depooter@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is a set of changes that have been applied to fix qemu crashes
> > when the SDL window is resized.  I have seen an arm specific fix get
> > added to master, as well as an apparently more general fix for all
> > architectures.  This should be applied to the stable branch as well.
> > AFAICT, these have only been applied to the stable branch.
> >
> > The email from Aug 3, "fix sdl window resize" from Stefano Stabellini
> > is the general fix.
>
> I fail to see how. AFAICT, Window resizing was only implemented as
> part of the patch that
> implemented zoom capabilities, which is not present in the stable branch.
>
> Thus, the patch you point to, fixes a piece of code that does not
> exist at all in the stable
> branch. How then can it be needed to fix anything you're seeing?

Oh I see...

I appear to be mistaken then.  I had been switching back and forth between the
stable 0.10 branch and the master branch for a while and recal seeing the bug
and changes that went in and noticed that they were not applied to all the
relevant branches.

Looking again, I see that the patches I refer to need to be applied to the
0.11 stable branch, not the 0.10 stable branch.

Perhaps Stefano needs to push his fixes to the stable-0.11 branch as well as
master.

--
Stephen Depooter
<stephend@xandros.com>

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release
@ 2009-08-27  8:56     ` Chris Webb
From: Chris Webb @ 2009-08-27  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: Glauber Costa, aliguori, qemu-devel

Glauber Costa <glommer@gmail.com> writes:

> Since you effectively wrote a backport, can you re-send it with a SoB
> line, and some information on the changelog telling us where and why the
> differences from master occurs?

Sure, no problem. I've just done this. I wasn't completely sure on the right
way to format the sign-off and changelog on a backport---hope the patch
header I've sent is what you had in mind here.

Cheers,

Chris.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release
@ 2009-08-27  1:14   ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-08-27  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Webb; +Cc: Glauber Costa, aliguori, qemu-devel

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Chris Webb<chris@arachsys.com> wrote:
> Glauber Costa <glommer@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> These are the patches I am proposing for 0.10.7 stable release. If you disagree
>> with any of them, or think a patch should go in that is not in this list, let me know
>
> I have seen a large number of failures of production qemu-kvm virtual
> machines with segfaults in the VNC code. (Thread rooted at
> <20090812150159.GW5348@arachsys.com>.)
>
> Avi pointed out Gerd's patch 198a00:
>
>  http://git.qemu.org/qemu.git/commit/?id=198a0039c5fca224a77e9761e2350dd9cc102ad0
>
> which I backported <20090819224739.GB17276@arachsys.com>:
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-08/msg00949.html
>
> This has massively reduced the crash rate of qemu-kvm processes across our
> clusters, although I still do a see a (much rarer) vnc-related segfault in
> vnc_framebuffer_update().

Good. Sorry, I missed that one.

Since you effectively wrote a backport, can you re-send it with a SoB
line, and some information
on the changelog telling us where and why the differences from master occurs?

I'll then happily and promply pick it up.

--

@ 2009-08-26 17:50 ` Chris Webb
From: Chris Webb @ 2009-08-26 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: aliguori, qemu-devel

Glauber Costa <glommer@redhat.com> writes:

> These are the patches I am proposing for 0.10.7 stable release. If you disagree
> with any of them, or think a patch should go in that is not in this list, let me know

I have seen a large number of failures of production qemu-kvm virtual
machines with segfaults in the VNC code. (Thread rooted at
<20090812150159.GW5348@arachsys.com>.)

Avi pointed out Gerd's patch 198a00:

  http://git.qemu.org/qemu.git/commit/?id=198a0039c5fca224a77e9761e2350dd9cc102ad0

which I backported <20090819224739.GB17276@arachsys.com>:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-08/msg00949.html

This has massively reduced the crash rate of qemu-kvm processes across our
clusters, although I still do a see a (much rarer) vnc-related segfault in
vnc_framebuffer_update().

Although these use-after-free problems were seen in qemu-kvm, the code (and
patch) are identical in standard qemu so I'd strongly recommend this
backport of Gerd's patch for qemu-stable 0.10.7.

Best wishes,

Chris.

* [Qemu-devel] [GIT PULL] 0.10.7 stable release
@ 2009-08-26 13:05 Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-08-26 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: aliguori

Hi people

These are the patches I am proposing for 0.10.7 stable release. If you disagree
with any of them, or think a patch should go in that is not in this list, let me know

patches marked as "BACKPORT" are ones who needed to get some modification, although
very simple ones. All others are conflict-less cherry-picks from master

You can find these patches at the master branch of:

git://git.qemu.org/qemu-stable-0.10.git