* Xen Solaris support still required?
@ 2016-11-03 12:49 Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2016-11-03 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Boris Ostrovsky

Xen tools contain several sources specific to Solaris, e.g. in
libxc, xenstored, xenstat, some other libs.

Is this still required? If yes, all of it?

Google tells me Oracle has dropped XVM support on Solaris.
Openindiana seems to have replaced XVM by a KVM port.

Juergen

* Re: Xen Solaris support still required? Illumos Xen
@ 2016-11-03 13:56 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2016-11-03 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky, Igor Kozhukhov

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 01:49:07PM +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
> Xen tools contain several sources specific to Solaris, e.g. in
> libxc, xenstored, xenstat, some other libs.
>
> Is this still required? If yes, all of it?
>
> Google tells me Oracle has dropped XVM support on Solaris.
> Openindiana seems to have replaced XVM by a KVM port.

In 2014 there was some work being done by Igor Kozhukhov (CC'd) to get Illumos (Opensolaris) Xen support improved / working..

Illumos Xen 4.3 port status:
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-01/msg02240.html

Illumos Xen dom0:
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg00146.html

Illumos PV domU support:
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg01160.html

Let's hope Igor can comment if he's still working on Illumos Xen stuff..

-- Pasi

* Re: Xen Solaris support still required? Illumos/Dilos Xen
@ 2016-12-04 16:57   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2016-12-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Kozhukhov; +Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky, Igor Kozhukhov

Hello Igor,

I noticed you're using @dilos.org email address these days, so i'm sending this email again..
see below for more info and a question for you..

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 03:56:32PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 01:49:07PM +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
> > Xen tools contain several sources specific to Solaris, e.g. in
> > libxc, xenstored, xenstat, some other libs.
> >
> > Is this still required? If yes, all of it?
> >
> > Google tells me Oracle has dropped XVM support on Solaris.
> > Openindiana seems to have replaced XVM by a KVM port.
> >

> In 2014 there was some work being done by Igor Kozhukhov (CC'd) to get Illumos (Opensolaris) Xen support improved / working..
>
> Illumos Xen 4.3 port status:
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-01/msg02240.html
>
> Illumos Xen dom0:
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg00146.html
>
> Illumos PV domU support:
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg01160.html
>
> Let's hope Igor can comment if he's still working on Illumos Xen stuff..
>

> -- Pasi

Thanks,

@ 2016-12-04 17:11     ` Igor Kozhukhov
From: Igor Kozhukhov @ 2016-12-04 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky

Hi Pasi,

i’m using both addresses, but probably @gmale missed some emails with maillist.

About DilOS + Xen.

i’m using xen-3.4 - old version what i backported to DilOS based on old opensolaris varsion and upadted it to use python2.7 and some others zfs updates - more updates :)
i tried to port Xen-4.3, but not finished it yet because i have no found sponsors and i have been moved to some aonther job without DilOS/illumos activities.
try to do it by free time was/is overhead.

i have plans try to return back and look at latest Xen.

right now i try to move DilOS bulid env to use more Debian style build env and to use gcc-5.4 as primary compiler.
Also, i have SPARC support with DilOS and it eat some additional free time.
please do not drop solaris support :) - i’ll use and update it soon - probably on next year.
I have a lot of updates on my dilos-illumos fork for xen support.
and i have no illumos as is - i have more additional changes on my tree - for example: i’m using gcc5 as primary compiler intead of others illumos distributions still using gcc44.

Right now DilOS can work as dom0 with pv/hvm guests, but with old xen-3.4.
you can find examples for guests at:
https://dilos-dev.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DS/Xen <https://dilos-dev.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DS/Xen>

and sorry for missed something - xen-devel maillist is very active and i have no a lot of time to read it now :)
ping me directly to my dilos.org email if you need some additional info.

best regards,
-Igor

@ 2016-12-05  5:32       ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2016-12-05  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Kozhukhov, Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky

On 04/12/16 18:11, Igor Kozhukhov wrote:
> Hi Pasi,
>
> i’m using both addresses, but probably @gmale missed some emails with
> maillist.
>
> About DilOS + Xen.
>
> i’m using xen-3.4 - old version what i backported to DilOS based on old
> opensolaris varsion and upadted it to use python2.7 and some others zfs
> updates - more updates :)
> i tried to port Xen-4.3, but not finished it yet because i have no found
> sponsors and i have been moved to some aonther job without DilOS/illumos
> activities.
> try to do it by free time was/is overhead.
>
> i have plans try to return back and look at latest Xen.
>
> right now i try to move DilOS bulid env to use more Debian style build
> env and to use gcc-5.4 as primary compiler.
> Also, i have SPARC support with DilOS and it eat some additional free time.
> please do not drop solaris support :) - i’ll use and update it soon -
> probably on next year.

Got it. Thanks for the note and good luck for the port!

Juergen

* Re: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Solaris support still required? Illumos/Dilos Xen
@ 2020-10-02  9:53         ` Jürgen Groß
From: Jürgen Groß @ 2020-10-02  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Kozhukhov
  Cc: Pasi Kärkkäinen, xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On 05.12.16 06:32, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 04/12/16 18:11, Igor Kozhukhov wrote:
>> Hi Pasi,
>>
>> i’m using both addresses, but probably @gmale missed some emails with
>> maillist.
>>
>> About DilOS + Xen.
>>
>> i’m using xen-3.4 - old version what i backported to DilOS based on old
>> opensolaris varsion and upadted it to use python2.7 and some others zfs
>> updates - more updates :)
>> i tried to port Xen-4.3, but not finished it yet because i have no found
>> sponsors and i have been moved to some aonther job without DilOS/illumos
>> activities.
>> try to do it by free time was/is overhead.
>>
>> i have plans try to return back and look at latest Xen.
>>
>> right now i try to move DilOS bulid env to use more Debian style build
>> env and to use gcc-5.4 as primary compiler.
>> Also, i have SPARC support with DilOS and it eat some additional free time.
>> please do not drop solaris support :) - i’ll use and update it soon -
>> probably on next year.
>
> Got it. Thanks for the note and good luck for the port!

As a followup after nearly 4 years:

It seems nothing has happened, and Solaris specific coding in Xen is
bit-rotting further. Last example is xenstored, which lost an interface
mandatory for Solaris about 1 year ago (nobody noticed, as Solaris
specific parts are neither built nor tested).

I stumbled over this one as I did some reorg of the Xen libraries and
checked all the dependencies between those.

I think at least the no longer working Solaris stuff in xenstored should
be removed now (in theory it would still be possible to use xenstore-
stubdom in Solaris), but I honestly think all the other Solaris cruft in
Xen tools should go away, too, in case nobody is really showing some
interest in it (e.g. by doing some basic build tests and maybe a small
functional test for each release of Xen).

So how does the realistic future of a Solaris dom0 look like? Is there
a non-neglectable chance it will be revived in the near future, or can
we remove the Solaris abstractions?

Juergen

* Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Solaris support still required? Illumos/Dilos Xen
@ 2020-10-02 10:08           ` Igor Kozhukhov
From: Igor Kozhukhov @ 2020-10-02 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jürgen Groß
  Cc: Pasi Kärkkäinen, xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky,