* [Bridge] Transparent wired/wirless bridge: is it possible?
@ 2010-10-26  9:24 Mauro Condarelli
From: Mauro Condarelli @ 2010-10-26  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge

Hi,
I read a lot on the Internet, but didn't find quite what I need.
I'm not even sure it's possible.

I have a machine with ethernet access and wireless card (in master mode).
Both are running ok under ubuntu maverick.
I also have a separate firewall (wired) acting as DHCP server for my
whole home network.
I would like to bind the two interfaces together with no translation (no
NAT, SNAT, masquerading, ...) so that the machines connecting to the
wireless lan can get their address from the firewall and access the
Internet.

Is this possible with bridging?
If so: can someone point me to the right documentation?

TiA
Mauro

* Re: [Bridge] Transparent wired/wirless bridge: is it possible?
@ 2010-10-26 12:36 ` Ryan Whelan
From: Ryan Whelan @ 2010-10-26 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Condarelli; +Cc: bridge

Have you looked at hostapd (http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/)?

@ 2010-10-30 16:20   ` Mauro Condarelli
From: Mauro Condarelli @ 2010-10-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Whelan; +Cc: bridge

On 26/10/2010 14.36, Ryan Whelan wrote:
> Have you looked at hostapd (http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/)?
Sorry,
I was not clear enough.

I have the wireless card up-and-running in ap-mode using hostapd.
I *can* connect a laptop to the wireless Access Point.
I also know how to setup a masquerading router on the linux machine to
share the landline connection (e.g.: using firestarter).
This would create a second net for wireless with double natting.
I would like to avoid this and I'm looking for a "bridge" configuration
so that all machines (wireless & wired) can share the same subnet
(192.68.1.0/24).

I tried something like:
=====================
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan2
iface wlan2 inet manual
     up /usr/sbin/service hostapd start
     up /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 up
     down /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 down
     down /usr/sbin/service hostapd stop

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
     up /sbin/ifconfig eth2 up
     down /sbin/ifconfig eth2 down

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
     bridge_ports eth2 wlan2
     bridge_maxwait 0
=====================
... but it does not seem to work as hoped.

Thanks in Advance for *ANY* hint ;)

Regards
Mauro

@ 2010-10-30 22:16     ` Nicolas de Pesloüan
From: Nicolas de Pesloüan @ 2010-10-30 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Condarelli; +Cc: bridge

Le 30/10/2010 18:20, Mauro Condarelli a écrit :

> I tried something like:
> =====================
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto wlan2
> iface wlan2 inet manual
> up /usr/sbin/service hostapd start
> up /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 up
> down /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 down
> down /usr/sbin/service hostapd stop
>
> auto eth2
> iface eth2 inet manual
> up /sbin/ifconfig eth2 up
> down /sbin/ifconfig eth2 down
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet dhcp
> bridge_ports eth2 wlan2
> bridge_maxwait 0
> =====================
> ... but it does not seem to work as hoped.

Consider reading http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bridge, in
particular the following sections :

- 7.11 What can be bridged?
- 7.16 It doesn't work with my Wireless card!
- 7.17 I still don't understand!!

	Nicolas.

* Re: [Bridge] Transparent wired/wirless bridge: is it possible?
@ 2010-11-01 12:40       ` Mauro Condarelli
From: Mauro Condarelli @ 2010-11-01 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas de Pesloüan; +Cc: bridge

  Il 31/10/2010 00:16, Nicolas de Pesloüan ha scritto:
> Le 30/10/2010 18:20, Mauro Condarelli a écrit :
>>
>> I tried something like:
>> =====================
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> auto wlan2
>> iface wlan2 inet manual
>> up /usr/sbin/service hostapd start
>> up /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 up
>> down /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 down
>> down /usr/sbin/service hostapd stop
>>
>> auto eth2
>> iface eth2 inet manual
>> up /sbin/ifconfig eth2 up
>> down /sbin/ifconfig eth2 down
>>
>> auto br0
>> iface br0 inet dhcp
>> bridge_ports eth2 wlan2
>> bridge_maxwait 0
>> =====================
>> ... but it does not seem to work as hoped.
>
> Consider reading
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bridge,
> in particular the following sections :
>
> - 7.11 What can be bridged?
> - 7.16 It doesn't work with my Wireless card!
> - 7.17 I still don't understand!!
>
>     Nicolas.
Thanks for the pointer.
I assume the short answer (gleamed from the above link) is: "this can't
be done (easily)".

I have it working now without bridges using hostapd, dnsmasq and a
static route in the upstream router (ipfire).

This has the (small) drawback I have a second subnet and a largely
useless dnsmaq installed.

My setup is with a separate firewall (ipfire) connected to the Internet;
on the GREEN LAN I have another server with an "Atheros Communications
Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)" managed via
ath9k and hostapd.
On "server" (ubuntu-workstation 10.10; I had some problems convincing
NetworkManager not to meddle with the interfaces) I have:
========================
auto wlan2
iface wlan2 inet static
     address 192.168.2.1
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     broadcast 192.168.2.255

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp # gets address from ipfire in the range
192.168.1.100-129
========================
IPV4 routing is enabled.
hostapd and dnsmasq are set and configured.

On "ipfire" I have the additional static route
route add -net 192.168.2.0/24 gw server

Any comment?
Can I simplify?
Is this The Right Way to go?