* Testing with Bluestore and Filestore
@ 2017-03-02 16:36 Brett Niver
From: Brett Niver @ 2017-03-02 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, Jason Dillaman, ceph-devel

Sage,

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but Jason had a good idea,
that perhaps instead of testing both BS and FS upstream independently,
 and doubling our testing, we might have teuthology randomly pick
which to use.

That would potentially reduce TCs and also give us the testing that
would help prepare for working thru the migration/transition once BS
is ready.

Brett

* Re: Testing with Bluestore and Filestore
@ 2017-03-02 18:36 ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2017-03-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Niver, John Spray; +Cc: Sage Weil, Jason Dillaman, ceph-devel

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Brett Niver <bniver@redhat.com> wrote:
> Sage,
>
> Perhaps this has already been discussed, but Jason had a good idea,
> that perhaps instead of testing both BS and FS upstream independently,
>  and doubling our testing, we might have teuthology randomly pick
> which to use.
>
> That would potentially reduce TCs and also give us the testing that
> would help prepare for working thru the migration/transition once BS
> is ready.

This is really what the subset functionality is for, although I think
John had started working on a feature in this area that would let the
subset functionality go across the rados configuration options while
guaranteeing full combinatorial explosion on the FS tests.
-Greg

@ 2017-03-02 18:40   ` Jason Dillaman
From: Jason Dillaman @ 2017-03-02 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Farnum; +Cc: Brett Niver, John Spray, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Brett Niver <bniver@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Sage,
>>
>> Perhaps this has already been discussed, but Jason had a good idea,
>> that perhaps instead of testing both BS and FS upstream independently,
>>  and doubling our testing, we might have teuthology randomly pick
>> which to use.
>>
>> That would potentially reduce TCs and also give us the testing that
>> would help prepare for working thru the migration/transition once BS
>> is ready.
>
> This is really what the subset functionality is for, although I think
> John had started working on a feature in this area that would let the
> subset functionality go across the rados configuration options while
> guaranteeing full combinatorial explosion on the FS tests.
> -Greg

I was actually thinking that OSDs should be randomly assigned an
object store by teuthology (i.e. roughly 50% FileStore vs 50%
BlueStore in the same cluster in the same test run). Right now, the
tests (at least for RBD) running 100% FileStore or 100% BlueStore with
no intermixing (and no verification that PGs comprised of FileStore
and BlueStore OSDs behave properly). That would also have the added
benefit of eliminating half the test cases in the RBD suite even
before you apply a subset.

>> Brett
>> --

Jason

* Re: Testing with Bluestore and Filestore
@ 2017-03-02 20:02     ` Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2017-03-02 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dillaman, Gregory Farnum; +Cc: Brett Niver, John Spray, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On 03/02/2017 12:40 PM, Jason Dillaman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Brett Niver <bniver@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Sage,
>>>
>>> Perhaps this has already been discussed, but Jason had a good idea,
>>> that perhaps instead of testing both BS and FS upstream independently,
>>>  and doubling our testing, we might have teuthology randomly pick
>>> which to use.
>>>
>>> That would potentially reduce TCs and also give us the testing that
>>> would help prepare for working thru the migration/transition once BS
>>> is ready.
>>
>> This is really what the subset functionality is for, although I think
>> John had started working on a feature in this area that would let the
>> subset functionality go across the rados configuration options while
>> guaranteeing full combinatorial explosion on the FS tests.
>> -Greg
>
> I was actually thinking that OSDs should be randomly assigned an
> object store by teuthology (i.e. roughly 50% FileStore vs 50%
> BlueStore in the same cluster in the same test run). Right now, the
> tests (at least for RBD) running 100% FileStore or 100% BlueStore with
> no intermixing (and no verification that PGs comprised of FileStore
> and BlueStore OSDs behave properly). That would also have the added
> benefit of eliminating half the test cases in the RBD suite even
> before you apply a subset.

Seems reasonable to me.  If the clusters are small we'll get pure
bluestore and pure filestore every once and a while too which would be good.

Mark

@ 2017-03-02 20:20       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-03-02 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson; +Cc: dillaman, Gregory Farnum, Brett Niver, John Spray, ceph-devel

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Mark Nelson wrote:
> On 03/02/2017 12:40 PM, Jason Dillaman wrote:

> > > This is really what the subset functionality is for, although I think
> > > John had started working on a feature in this area that would let the
> > > subset functionality go across the rados configuration options while
> > > guaranteeing full combinatorial explosion on the FS tests.
> > > -Greg
> >
> > I was actually thinking that OSDs should be randomly assigned an
> > object store by teuthology (i.e. roughly 50% FileStore vs 50%
> > BlueStore in the same cluster in the same test run). Right now, the
> > tests (at least for RBD) running 100% FileStore or 100% BlueStore with
> > no intermixing (and no verification that PGs comprised of FileStore
> > and BlueStore OSDs behave properly). That would also have the added
> > benefit of eliminating half the test cases in the RBD suite even
> > before you apply a subset.
>
> Seems reasonable to me.  If the clusters are small we'll get pure bluestore
> and pure filestore every once and a while too which would be good.

Yeah, we can add a 'random' option that will pick between filestore or
bluestore.  I'm inclined to keep them separate in rados so that we can
identify failures easily, but for other suites this probably makes sense.