* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-05 17:42 Nick Krause
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-05 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
annoyed with me and
think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
improve my relationship
with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-05 17:56 ` Kristofer Hallin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-08-05 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hmm. What about stop sending patches?
On Aug 5, 2014 7:43 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
> annoyed with me and
> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
> improve my relationship
> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
> Nick

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-05 17:59 ` Mandeep Sandhu
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2014-08-05 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Nick,

I came across some G+ posts from kernel developers discussing you and
your recent patch submissions. I must say you're pretty (in)famous! :)

Jokes aside, why not just follow on the advice given to you by so many
people, i.e pick an area of interest (in the various kernel
subsystems) for yourself, first pick really small ossues (but not the
code formatting ones as they only tend to generate noise for the
maintainer and not really fix anything), create the patch, see if the
kernel builds with. TEST IT, most importantly (if you don't have the
requisite hw then either acquire one, or pick another issue where you
CAN test it). Basically check everything thats mentioned here:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWfirstpatch

Trust me, if you _do_ go through this process and submit a 'good'
patch, all past issues that you've had with other developers will be
forgotten.

Don't be in a rush to get 'something' in the kernel. I know its a big
deal to get things in one of the coolest piece of software on this
planet, but you'll need a lot perseverance and patience to be a kernel
contributor.

HTH,
-mandeep

@ 2014-08-05 18:04   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-05 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Mandeep Sandhu
<mandeepsandhu.chd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> I came across some G+ posts from kernel developers discussing you and
> your recent patch submissions. I must say you're pretty (in)famous! :)
>
> Jokes aside, why not just follow on the advice given to you by so many
> people, i.e pick an area of interest (in the various kernel
> subsystems) for yourself, first pick really small ossues (but not the
> code formatting ones as they only tend to generate noise for the
> maintainer and not really fix anything), create the patch, see if the
> kernel builds with. TEST IT, most importantly (if you don't have the
> requisite hw then either acquire one, or pick another issue where you
> CAN test it). Basically check everything thats mentioned here:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
> http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWfirstpatch
>
> Trust me, if you _do_ go through this process and submit a 'good'
> patch, all past issues that you've had with other developers will be
> forgotten.
>
> Don't be in a rush to get 'something' in the kernel. I know its a big
> deal to get things in one of the coolest piece of software on this
> planet, but you'll need a lot perseverance and patience to be a kernel
> contributor.
>
> HTH,
> -mandeep
>

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
>> annoyed with me and
>> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
>> improve my relationship
>> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
>> Nick

That's fine,
I feel perhaps I am just really trying to force my code in(ego) and
just is bad form.
If anyone on this list can read my last trace to check my logic first,
before I write
a patch and let you check it, that would be great.
Thanks A lot,
Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-05 18:25 ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-08-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Aug 5, 2014 11:14 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
> annoyed with me and
> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
> improve my relationship
> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
> Nick

i saw that you sent a patch regarding videobuf2 on 3rd august , the
reaction of that patch continues till 4th. on 4th you write that you will
not send a patch again without testing.
but surprisingly again on 5th you send a patch , which as usual , fails to
build. have you really tested the patch before sending?? did you try to
compile the kernel after making your modifications?? i think - no.

@ 2014-08-05 18:28     ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2014-08-05 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Mandeep Sandhu
> <mandeepsandhu.chd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > I came across some G+ posts from kernel developers discussing you and
> > your recent patch submissions. I must say you're pretty (in)famous! :)
> >
> > Jokes aside, why not just follow on the advice given to you by so many
> > people, i.e pick an area of interest (in the various kernel
> > subsystems) for yourself, first pick really small ossues (but not the
> > code formatting ones as they only tend to generate noise for the
> > maintainer and not really fix anything), create the patch, see if the
> > kernel builds with. TEST IT, most importantly (if you don't have the
> > requisite hw then either acquire one, or pick another issue where you
> > CAN test it). Basically check everything thats mentioned here:
> >
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
> > http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWfirstpatch
> >
> > Trust me, if you _do_ go through this process and submit a 'good'
> > patch, all past issues that you've had with other developers will be
> > forgotten.
> >
> > Don't be in a rush to get 'something' in the kernel. I know its a big
> > deal to get things in one of the coolest piece of software on this
> > planet, but you'll need a lot perseverance and patience to be a kernel
> > contributor.
> >
> > HTH,
> > -mandeep
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
> >> annoyed with me and
> >> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
> >> improve my relationship
> >> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
> >> Nick

> That's fine,
> I feel perhaps I am just really trying to force my code in(ego) and
> just is bad form.
> If anyone on this list can read my last trace to check my logic first,
> before I write
> a patch and let you check it, that would be great.
> Thanks A lot,
> Nick

How about not sending patches at all until you develop a good understanding
of kernel subsystems.
read the books and read code for few months before you ever re-try sending
patches?

--
Thank you
Warm Regards

@ 2014-08-05 19:52   ` Rohan Puri
From: Rohan Puri @ 2014-08-05 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Sudip Mukherjee
<sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2014 11:14 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
>> annoyed with me and
>> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
>> improve my relationship
>> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
>> Nick
>
> i saw that you sent a patch regarding videobuf2 on 3rd august , the reaction
> of that patch continues till 4th. on 4th you write that you will not send a
> patch again without testing.
> but surprisingly again on 5th you send a patch , which as usual , fails to
> build. have you really tested the patch before sending?? did you try to
> compile the kernel after making your modifications?? i think - no.

Hi Nick,

The advice developers have given you is very valuable. As the above
ppl have also said, please do hurry through submitting incorrect
patches, you should really know what you are fixing and why that needs
to be fixed. It should be compiled and tested.

Above all, you need to ask yourself a question, why do you really want
to do this? Please do not do this if you want to be famous or show
that even you can do something technical. Do this only if you are
really interested and have liking about OS development & stuff. Then
it will not matter that you have submitted 100s of patches in a month
or just 1 patch in a year. Results should not matter, your goal should
be to learn something new every day about linux kernel. This should be
done through lots of conceptual & code reading, using & testing the
kernel.

To start of please read good books like : -
1. Linux kernel development
2. Understanding linux kernel
3. Linux device drivers
4. There are more but these 3 are enough for beginning.

Once done, you would be interested in particular sub-system, then try
to explore that sub-system more by code reading, making small changes
not necessarily bug-fixes, validate your code understanding through
those changes.

Enjoy learning!

- Rohan

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-05 19:54 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-05 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 13:42:58 -0400, Nick Krause said:
> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
> annoyed with me and

Let's face it - if you've sent ten bad patches in a row without getting
one right, you're doing something wrong.  And although total noob coders
scale very well (there seems to be a never-ending supply of them), maintainers
don't scale well at all - and they have a *huge* workload to review a lot of
patches every release cycle.

I can't think of a single maintainer that isn't willing to provide advice.

I also can't think of a single maintainer who *doesn't* get torqued off
massively when V2 of a patch, or another patch, comes in from the same
person and it's obvious the advice wasn't listened to.  They don't have
time for that sort of foolishness.

> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
> improve my relationship
> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.

First and foremost, when senior kernel developers give you specific advice,
*listen to it*.  If somebody like Ted T'so tells you that it's unacceptable to
send patches that aren't compile-tested, *you should never be sending another
patch that didn't compile clean*.  Period. End Of Discussion.

In fact, you should strive higher - don't submit a patch unless you are
(a) booted onto the patched kernel, (b) verify it by checking uname -r, and
(c) have done testing that your patch actually fixed the issue you were
patching without breaking anything.

Running around willy-nilly submitting patches all over the tree doesn't
inspire confidence in your patches - especially after you've hit multiple
subsystems and been told "This is wrong and you obviously (a) don't understand
the subsystem and (b) didn't bother figuring it out".

Also, you may want to sit down for a few days, and think long and hard
about *why* you're so desperate to submit kernel patches.  Do you have a
good reason to devote the time?  Or is it just ego-stroking?  (Personally,
I've been around since the 2.5.47 or so kernel - and I'm only doing it
because I have a Dell laptop on my desk and a quarter acre of servers across
the hall, and lots of users on our campus - and every good bug report I file
against linux-next means a crappy bug report from a user after the release
escapes)

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-05 20:20   ` Nick Krause
       [not found]     ` <alpine.LFD.2.11.1408051702460.26301@localhost>
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-05 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 13:42:58 -0400, Nick Krause said:
>> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
>> annoyed with me and
>
> Let's face it - if you've sent ten bad patches in a row without getting
> one right, you're doing something wrong.  And although total noob coders
> scale very well (there seems to be a never-ending supply of them), maintainers
> don't scale well at all - and they have a *huge* workload to review a lot of
> patches every release cycle.
>
> I can't think of a single maintainer that isn't willing to provide advice.
>
> I also can't think of a single maintainer who *doesn't* get torqued off
> massively when V2 of a patch, or another patch, comes in from the same
> person and it's obvious the advice wasn't listened to.  They don't have
> time for that sort of foolishness.
>
>> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
>> improve my relationship
>> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
>
> First and foremost, when senior kernel developers give you specific advice,
> *listen to it*.  If somebody like Ted T'so tells you that it's unacceptable to
> send patches that aren't compile-tested, *you should never be sending another
> patch that didn't compile clean*.  Period. End Of Discussion.
>
> In fact, you should strive higher - don't submit a patch unless you are
> (a) booted onto the patched kernel, (b) verify it by checking uname -r, and
> (c) have done testing that your patch actually fixed the issue you were
> patching without breaking anything.
>
> Running around willy-nilly submitting patches all over the tree doesn't
> inspire confidence in your patches - especially after you've hit multiple
> subsystems and been told "This is wrong and you obviously (a) don't understand
> the subsystem and (b) didn't bother figuring it out".
>
> Also, you may want to sit down for a few days, and think long and hard
> about *why* you're so desperate to submit kernel patches.  Do you have a
> good reason to devote the time?  Or is it just ego-stroking?  (Personally,
> I've been around since the 2.5.47 or so kernel - and I'm only doing it
> because I have a Dell laptop on my desk and a quarter acre of servers across
> the hall, and lots of users on our campus - and every good bug report I file
> against linux-next means a crappy bug report from a user after the release
> escapes)

I want to help and improve the code plus get a code doing kernel development.
I understand now and am not going to waste time anymore, I am going to make
sure all my patches are tested correctly and to the best of my ability first.
Regards NIck

@ 2014-08-05 21:35       ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-05 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2014, Nick Krause wrote:
>
>> I want to help and improve the code plus get a code [sic] doing
>> kernel development.
>
>   *sigh* ... assuming you mean you want a *job* doing kernel
> development, you may have already screwed yourself royally.
>
>   it's obvious you want to get *some* kind of patches into the kernel,
> just so you can say, "see? i patched the linux kernel!" what you
> clearly don't understand is the unintended consequences of your
> scattershot patching attempts.
>
>   while prospective employers will certainly want to know what you've
> contributed to the kernel, they will also simply google on your name
> with respect to the kernel, and *that*, my boy, is where you are quite
> simply f**ked.
>
>   i googled on the words "nick krause linux kernel" (which is what any
> minimally competent employer would do), and on the very first page of
> results was this:

> what that page tells prospective employers is that you are in over
> your head, you don't listen to advice, and you have very bad work
> habits.
>
>   regardless of whatever you do from now on, given your online
> reputation that any employer will certainly find, you may have already
> made yourself unemployable.
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Is there any way to fix this or am I just unemployable.
Cheers Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-05 22:49         ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-08-05 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to fix this or am I just unemployable.
> Cheers Nick

Get married and take your wife's name!

Being more realistic, get good at a specific subsystem and earn a good
reputation in that subsystem.  If you're lucky someone will get to
know your reputation and get you a shot regardless that you got off on
the wrong foot.

More importantly, except for kernel trainers like Robert, most
companies hire linux kernel subsystem developers, not linux kernel
developers.  Thus you need to find a part of the kernel you want to
delve into and get really good at just it.

You can also research who the companies are that employ kernel
developers and see which subsystems they are working in.  As an
example Redhat employs a couple of the XFS developers.  SUSE employs
one of the mdraid developers, etc.

Greg

--
Greg Freemyer

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-05 23:43           ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-05 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any way to fix this or am I just unemployable.
>> Cheers Nick
>
> Get married and take your wife's name!
>
> Being more realistic, get good at a specific subsystem and earn a good
> reputation in that subsystem.  If you're lucky someone will get to
> know your reputation and get you a shot regardless that you got off on
> the wrong foot.
>
> More importantly, except for kernel trainers like Robert, most
> companies hire linux kernel subsystem developers, not linux kernel
> developers.  Thus you need to find a part of the kernel you want to
> delve into and get really good at just it.
>
> You can also research who the companies are that employ kernel
> developers and see which subsystems they are working in.  As an
> example Redhat employs a couple of the XFS developers.  SUSE employs
> one of the mdraid developers, etc.
>
> Greg
>

> --
> Greg Freemyer
I was really worried , that I would have to give up on this goal,
but thanks for the advice. I am interested in working in schedulers,
file systems and  networking. If you guys want to help me , just
tell me how to get started and again to all the maintainers, I feel
terrible about wasting your time.
Sorry and thanks A lot,
Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06  9:48             ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2014-08-06  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

oh man you have gained prominence in vger?
They have banned you from vger.
Sarah Sharp, Greg-KH, Ted Tso etc are talking about you, quite some fame
lol.
https://plus.google.com/116960357493251979546/posts/N1roxd2k1f7
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/4/206

@ 2014-08-06 10:02               ` Pramod Gurav
From: Pramod Gurav @ 2014-08-06 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Now Nick can go and Troll these guys in there, Thanks to Anuz! :)

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
<chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:
> oh man you have gained prominence in vger?
> They have banned you from vger.
> Sarah Sharp, Greg-KH, Ted Tso etc are talking about you, quite some fame
> lol.
> https://plus.google.com/116960357493251979546/posts/N1roxd2k1f7
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/4/206
>

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:43 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Get married and take your wife's name!
>> >
>> > Being more realistic, get good at a specific subsystem and earn a good
>> > reputation in that subsystem.  If you're lucky someone will get to
>> > know your reputation and get you a shot regardless that you got off on
>> > the wrong foot.
>> >
>> > More importantly, except for kernel trainers like Robert, most
>> > companies hire linux kernel subsystem developers, not linux kernel
>> > developers.  Thus you need to find a part of the kernel you want to
>> > delve into and get really good at just it.
>> >
>> > You can also research who the companies are that employ kernel
>> > developers and see which subsystems they are working in.  As an
>> > example Redhat employs a couple of the XFS developers.  SUSE employs
>> > one of the mdraid developers, etc.
>> >
>> > Greg
>> >

>> > --
>> > Greg Freemyer
>> I was really worried , that I would have to give up on this goal,
>> but thanks for the advice. I am interested in working in schedulers,
>> file systems and  networking. If you guys want to help me , just
>> tell me how to get started and again to all the maintainers, I feel
>> terrible about wasting your time.
>> Sorry and thanks A lot,
>> Nick

> Thank you
> Warm Regards
> Anuz

Thanks and Regards
Pramod

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 10:30                 ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2014-08-06 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Pramod Gurav <pramod.gurav.etc@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now Nick can go and Troll these guys in there, Thanks to Anuz! :)

Happy to help :D

--

@ 2014-08-06 12:47                   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
<chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Pramod Gurav <pramod.gurav.etc@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Now Nick can go and Troll these guys in there, Thanks to Anuz! :)
>
> Happy to help :D
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
>> <chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > oh man you have gained prominence in vger?
>> > They have banned you from vger.
>> > Sarah Sharp, Greg-KH, Ted Tso etc are talking about you, quite some fame
>> > lol.
>> > https://plus.google.com/116960357493251979546/posts/N1roxd2k1f7
>> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/4/206

>> > --
>> > Thank you
>> > Warm Regards
>> > Anuz

>> --
>> Thanks and Regards
>> Pramod
>

> --
> Thank you
> Warm Regards
> Anuz

I am banned from vger or not?
Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 13:25                     ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
> <chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Pramod Gurav <pramod.gurav.etc@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now Nick can go and Troll these guys in there, Thanks to Anuz! :)
>>
>> Happy to help :D

>>> --
>>> Thanks and Regards
>>> Pramod
>>

>> --
>> Thank you
>> Warm Regards
>> Anuz
>
> I am banned from vger or not?
> Nick
Seems I am banned from the list is there any way around this or not?
Regards Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 13:28                       ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-08-06 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Being banned from the list means that you're not welcome anymore, so don't
try to get around it.

@ 2014-08-06 13:32                         ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Kristofer Hallin
<kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Being banned from the list means that you're not welcome anymore, so don't
> try to get around it.
>
> On Aug 6, 2014 3:25 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I am banned from vger or not?
>> > Nick
>> Seems I am banned from the list is there any way around this or not?
>> Regards Nick

I am not trying to get around it, I would like to be welcomed back is all.
Cheers Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 13:35                       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-08-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Nick Krause wrote:

> Seems I am banned from the [LKML] list is there any way around this
> or not?

  good lord, man ... when you're *banned* from a particular venue, the
proper and productive response is to examine your behaviour, then do
what it takes to correct it, *not* immediately ask if there's a way
to circumvent the ban.

  at this point, i suggest it's time to ban you from *this* list for
the simple reason that your participation has nothing to do with
furthering anyone's knowledge of the linux kernel; rather, it has
devolved into a discussion about your unacceptable behaviour, and this
is most emphatically *not* the proper mailing list for that.

  if there's a voting process, i would vote that nick krause be
removed from this mailing list.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 13:45                           ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-08-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Kristofer Hallin
> <kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Being banned from the list means that you're not welcome anymore, so don't
>> try to get around it.

>>> Seems I am banned from the list is there any way around this or not?
>>> Regards Nick

> I am not trying to get around it, I would like to be welcomed back is all.
> Cheers Nick

Actually its quite an achievement to get banned from the list.

My advise : forget about the list for now. Go through all the advises
that you have got from every one regarding your patches. You might not
have seen the advises given to you . Then understand what you are
trying to do , understand why you are trying to do that , and then try
to think how you are going to do that. And after doing test it by
compiling the kernel and booting into the new kernel and verify that
your changes are working.

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 13:46                           ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2014-08-06 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Kristofer Hallin
> <kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Being banned from the list means that you're not welcome anymore, so
> don't
> > try to get around it.
> >
> > On Aug 6, 2014 3:25 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> some

> xerofoify at gmail.com>

> earn a

> want

> feel

> >> Seems I am banned from the list is there any way around this or not?
> >> Regards Nick

> I am not trying to get around it, I would like to be welcomed back is all.
> Cheers Nick

If I were you I would stop being a keyboard warrior at this very point and
start reading LDD, ULK, LKD etc and looking at code.

--

@ 2014-08-06 13:56                             ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
<chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Kristofer Hallin
>> <kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Being banned from the list means that you're not welcome anymore, so
>> > don't
>> > try to get around it.

>> I am not trying to get around it, I would like to be welcomed back is all.
>> Cheers Nick
>

> If I were you I would stop being a keyboard warrior at this very point and
> start reading LDD, ULK, LKD etc and looking at code.
>

> --
> Thank you
> Warm Regards
> Anuz
I have read the books you suggested, seems I was not doing the work in
the correct way.
I seem to be helping out with some traces for now.
Regards Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 13:59                               ` Andev
From: Andev @ 2014-08-06 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have read the books you suggested, seems I was not doing the work in
> the correct way.
> I seem to be helping out with some traces for now.
> Regards Nick

Nick, Are you suffering from autism? This is a genuine question as
your behavior is really making lots of people think so. Please let us
know so that we can act accordingly.

--
Andev

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 14:07                                 ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Andev <debiandev@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have read the books you suggested, seems I was not doing the work in
>> the correct way.
>> I seem to be helping out with some traces for now.
>> Regards Nick
>>

> Nick, Are you suffering from autism? This is a genuine question as
> your behavior is really making lots of people think so. Please let us
> know so that we can act accordingly.
>
> --
> Andev
I do have aspergers.
Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 14:22                                   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Andev <debiandev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have read the books you suggested, seems I was not doing the work in
>>> the correct way.
>>> I seem to be helping out with some traces for now.
>>> Regards Nick
>>>

>> Nick, Are you suffering from autism? This is a genuine question as
>> your behavior is really making lots of people think so. Please let us
>> know so that we can act accordingly.
>>
>> --
>> Andev
> I do have aspergers.
> Nick
In addition, sometimes I don't listen to advice even through it's
good advice(testing patches) due to ego and that's not a good
thing on the list.
Cheers Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 14:30                                     ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-08-06 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

But aren't broken patches doing more damage to your ego than testing the
code before trying to get it merged?

@ 2014-08-06 16:31                         ` Josh Carlson
From: Josh Carlson @ 2014-08-06 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

+1 lmfao!

-Josh

@ 2014-08-06 16:47                           ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Josh Carlson <joshcarlson3@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 lmfao!
>
> -Josh
>

> On 08/06/2014 09:35 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Nick Krause wrote:
>>
>>> Seems I am banned from the [LKML] list is there any way around this
>>> or not?
>>
>>    good lord, man ... when you're *banned* from a particular venue, the
>> proper and productive response is to examine your behaviour, then do
>> what it takes to correct it, *not* immediately ask if there's a way
>> to circumvent the ban.
>>
>>    at this point, i suggest it's time to ban you from *this* list for
>> the simple reason that your participation has nothing to do with
>> furthering anyone's knowledge of the linux kernel; rather, it has
>> devolved into a discussion about your unacceptable behaviour, and this
>> is most emphatically *not* the proper mailing list for that.
>>
>>    if there's a voting process, i would vote that nick krause be
>> removed from this mailing list.
>>
>> rday

Thanks Guys,
If someone is willing to get me back on the list , and help me with
that it would  be great.
Cheers Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 16:52                           ` Mandeep Sandhu
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2014-08-06 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

-1

I don't support a ban for Nick on this list. If he's genuinely
affected by a learning problem then we need to take that into account
before jumping to a conclusion.

Nick,

Advice for you is to NOT worry about whether you're part of
kernelnewbies/vger lists or not. Just concentrate on learning as much
as possible and 'doing the right thing'. Everything else will fix
itself.

When you encounter a problem, post your questions here. There are a
lot of people who'll be willing to help you, provided you've shown
understanding and commitment from your side too.

Good luck,
-mandeep

@ 2014-08-06 16:58                             ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Mandeep Sandhu
<mandeepsandhu.chd@gmail.com> wrote:
> -1
>
> I don't support a ban for Nick on this list. If he's genuinely
> affected by a learning problem then we need to take that into account
> before jumping to a conclusion.
>
> Nick,
>
> Advice for you is to NOT worry about whether you're part of
> kernelnewbies/vger lists or not. Just concentrate on learning as much
> as possible and 'doing the right thing'. Everything else will fix
> itself.
>
> When you encounter a problem, post your questions here. There are a
> lot of people who'll be willing to help you, provided you've shown
> understanding and commitment from your side too.
>
> Good luck,
> -mandeep
>

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Josh Carlson <joshcarlson3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 lmfao!
>>
>> -Josh

>>>    good lord, man ... when you're *banned* from a particular venue, the
>>> proper and productive response is to examine your behaviour, then do
>>> what it takes to correct it, *not* immediately ask if there's a way
>>> to circumvent the ban.
>>>
>>>    at this point, i suggest it's time to ban you from *this* list for
>>> the simple reason that your participation has nothing to do with
>>> furthering anyone's knowledge of the linux kernel; rather, it has
>>> devolved into a discussion about your unacceptable behaviour, and this
>>> is most emphatically *not* the proper mailing list for that.
>>>
>>>    if there's a voting process, i would vote that nick krause be
>>> removed from this mailing list.
>>>
>>> rday

Aspergers's  not a learning problem for computer science, it does
however effect my communcation skills and that was the issue.
Regards Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 16:58               ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-08-06 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:48:14 +0100, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar said:

> oh man you have gained prominence in vger?
> They have banned you from vger.

Wow. I've been around for a dozen years or so, and can't remember *that* ever
happening before. That takes some *major* doing, and could take literally years
to straighten out.  How to approach that?

0) Nick can't screw up again. *AT ALL*. Patches have to be clean and correct on
the first try, and posting something stupid or failing to listen and implement
maintainer suggestions will probably be fatal.  Yes, that *does* mean that
posting a "great new idea" that's half-baked or worse will probably be fatal,
which means you should bounce the idea off several other people who actually
know the kernel.  I see a *lot* of "this would be great if" ideas that aren't
actually good ideas - either the kernel would have to be majorly re-written for
little gain, or the idea is contrary to the way things are done in the kernel,
or there's hidden reasons we don't already do it...

1) Pick *one* (or at most two) sub-lists, subscribe, and *SHUT UP AND READ*.
Resist the temptation to post anything.  Learn.  Pay attention to the
maintainer's comments on other patches - this is how you learn what they want
to see in a patch, and what they *don't* want to see.

2) Once you get an actual handle on what's considered a "good" patch series
for that section of the kernel, *then* start thinking about small patches.

3) Before sending the first few patches, *review* them. Test compile them. Test
boot them.  E-mail them to yourself, and make sure they apply.  Have somebody
else look at them off-list first, to make sure you didn't do something stupid.
Do everything possible to make sure it's *RIGHT* the first time it hits the
sub-list.

After 3-4 years of this, and the start of a record of having correct patches,
the powers that be might consider un-doing a ban....
* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 17:03                 ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:58 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:48:14 +0100, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar said:
>
>> oh man you have gained prominence in vger?
>> They have banned you from vger.
>
> Wow. I've been around for a dozen years or so, and can't remember *that* ever
> happening before. That takes some *major* doing, and could take literally years
> to straighten out.  How to approach that?
>
> 0) Nick can't screw up again. *AT ALL*. Patches have to be clean and correct on
> the first try, and posting something stupid or failing to listen and implement
> maintainer suggestions will probably be fatal.  Yes, that *does* mean that
> posting a "great new idea" that's half-baked or worse will probably be fatal,
> which means you should bounce the idea off several other people who actually
> know the kernel.  I see a *lot* of "this would be great if" ideas that aren't
> actually good ideas - either the kernel would have to be majorly re-written for
> little gain, or the idea is contrary to the way things are done in the kernel,
> or there's hidden reasons we don't already do it...
>
> 1) Pick *one* (or at most two) sub-lists, subscribe, and *SHUT UP AND READ*.
> Resist the temptation to post anything.  Learn.  Pay attention to the
> maintainer's comments on other patches - this is how you learn what they want
> to see in a patch, and what they *don't* want to see.
>
> 2) Once you get an actual handle on what's considered a "good" patch series
> for that section of the kernel, *then* start thinking about small patches.
>
> 3) Before sending the first few patches, *review* them. Test compile them. Test
> boot them.  E-mail them to yourself, and make sure they apply.  Have somebody
> else look at them off-list first, to make sure you didn't do something stupid.
> Do everything possible to make sure it's *RIGHT* the first time it hits the
> sub-list.
>
> After 3-4 years of this, and the start of a record of having correct patches,
> the powers that be might consider un-doing a ban....

So I assume I am up the list for a while then.
Regards Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 17:11                             ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-08-06 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Guys,
> If someone is willing to get me back on the list , and help me with
> that it would  be great.
> Cheers Nick

I've never heard of a ban before either.  Are you banned from
subscribing? or banned from posting?  Or both?

If you can still subscribe, why do you really need to post?  Seriously
I'm on a few vger lists and I rarely post.

Also, which vger list is it you think is critical to you.  I for one
have never subscribed to the main lkml list.  It just has an
overwhelming amount of traffic.  I focus on the subsystems I find of
interest.  Even those tend to get much more email traffic than I can
read thoroughly.

Greg

--
Greg Freemyer

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 17:16                               ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Guys,
>> If someone is willing to get me back on the list , and help me with
>> that it would  be great.
>> Cheers Nick
>
> I've never heard of a ban before either.  Are you banned from
> subscribing? or banned from posting?  Or both?
>
> If you can still subscribe, why do you really need to post?  Seriously
> I'm on a few vger lists and I rarely post.
>
> Also, which vger list is it you think is critical to you.  I for one
> have never subscribed to the main lkml list.  It just has an
> overwhelming amount of traffic.  I focus on the subsystems I find of
> interest.  Even those tend to get much more email traffic than I can
> read thoroughly.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> Greg Freemyer
All of them.
Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 17:24                 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-08-06 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:48:14 +0100, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar said:
>
> > oh man you have gained prominence in vger?
> > They have banned you from vger.
>
> Wow. I've been around for a dozen years or so, and can't remember
> *that* ever happening before. That takes some *major* doing, and
> could take literally years to straighten out.  How to approach that?

  *sigh* ... the fact that nick has, *single-handedly*, pissed off and
wasted the time of numerous subsystem maintainers to the point where
he has been banned from LKML and has, in addition, *single-handedly*
turned the kernel newbies mailing list into his personal self-help
playground means that he needs to be shown the door.

  i don't want to sound unsympathetic, but it doesn't *matter* if this
is nick's fault or not -- he is, quite simply, a disruptive influence
and is, at the moment, turning this mailing list into chaos.

  people are asking, can he be salvaged? to which the proper answer
is, who cares? there are a *lot* of kernel newbies out there who would
desperately like to get to the point where *they* can start submitting
patches, and most of *those* people are willing to read and listen and
follow the advice of the veterans to the point where they become
useful contributors. nick is not.

  it's massively ironic that countless people have told nick what he
should be doing, to which his inveitable response is, "ok, but what
should i be doing?"

  if you want to help nick, knock yourself out but take it offline.
nick has already wasted far too much bandwidth that could have been
invested in helping newbies that are willing to *listen*.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 18:05                   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:48:14 +0100, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar said:
>>
>> > oh man you have gained prominence in vger?
>> > They have banned you from vger.
>>
>> Wow. I've been around for a dozen years or so, and can't remember
>> *that* ever happening before. That takes some *major* doing, and
>> could take literally years to straighten out.  How to approach that?
>
>   *sigh* ... the fact that nick has, *single-handedly*, pissed off and
> wasted the time of numerous subsystem maintainers to the point where
> he has been banned from LKML and has, in addition, *single-handedly*
> turned the kernel newbies mailing list into his personal self-help
> playground means that he needs to be shown the door.
>
>   i don't want to sound unsympathetic, but it doesn't *matter* if this
> is nick's fault or not -- he is, quite simply, a disruptive influence
> and is, at the moment, turning this mailing list into chaos.
>
>   people are asking, can he be salvaged? to which the proper answer
> is, who cares? there are a *lot* of kernel newbies out there who would
> desperately like to get to the point where *they* can start submitting
> patches, and most of *those* people are willing to read and listen and
> follow the advice of the veterans to the point where they become
> useful contributors. nick is not.
>
>   it's massively ironic that countless people have told nick what he
> should be doing, to which his inveitable response is, "ok, but what
> should i be doing?"
>
>   if you want to help nick, knock yourself out but take it offline.
> nick has already wasted far too much bandwidth that could have been
> invested in helping newbies that are willing to *listen*.
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Robert,
I am trying to listen now and this was my fault.
Regards  Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 18:08                     ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>>> Wow. I've been around for a dozen years or so, and can't remember
>>> *that* ever happening before. That takes some *major* doing, and
>>> could take literally years to straighten out.  How to approach that?
>>
>>   *sigh* ... the fact that nick has, *single-handedly*, pissed off and
>> wasted the time of numerous subsystem maintainers to the point where
>> he has been banned from LKML and has, in addition, *single-handedly*
>> turned the kernel newbies mailing list into his personal self-help
>> playground means that he needs to be shown the door.
>>
>>   i don't want to sound unsympathetic, but it doesn't *matter* if this
>> is nick's fault or not -- he is, quite simply, a disruptive influence
>> and is, at the moment, turning this mailing list into chaos.
>>
>>   people are asking, can he be salvaged? to which the proper answer
>> is, who cares? there are a *lot* of kernel newbies out there who would
>> desperately like to get to the point where *they* can start submitting
>> patches, and most of *those* people are willing to read and listen and
>> follow the advice of the veterans to the point where they become
>> useful contributors. nick is not.
>>
>>   it's massively ironic that countless people have told nick what he
>> should be doing, to which his inveitable response is, "ok, but what
>> should i be doing?"
>>
>>   if you want to help nick, knock yourself out but take it offline.
>> nick has already wasted far too much bandwidth that could have been
>> invested in helping newbies that are willing to *listen*.
>>
>> rday
>>
>> --

>> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>>                         http://crashcourse.ca
>>
>> Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday
>> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
>>

> Robert,
> I am trying to listen now and this was my fault.
> Regards  Nick

Also Robert I starting this the wrong way be treating this as a
playground rather then
for real work and that was another mistake I made. I do feel that if
you guys give me
a second case I will listen much better and stop wasting time.
Regards Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 18:30                     ` Lidza Louina
From: Lidza Louina @ 2014-08-06 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Nick, stop sending patches and emails. Go talk to someone in real life,
have them to look at the emails and talk to them about it.
Talk to someone that understands your communication style and can explain
these things to you in a way that you can understand it. You are making
things worse by trying to contact people that you have annoyed.

Step away from the computer and talk to someone in real life because none
of the emails and suggestions people have given seem to be helping you.

Lidza

@ 2014-08-06 18:33                       ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Lidza Louina <lidza.louina@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nick, stop sending patches and emails. Go talk to someone in real life, have
> them to look at the emails and talk to them about it.
> Talk to someone that understands your communication style and can explain
> these things to you in a way that you can understand it. You are making
> things worse by trying to contact people that you have annoyed.
>
> Step away from the computer and talk to someone in real life because none of
> the emails and suggestions people have given seem to be helping you.
>
> Lidza
>
> On Aug 6, 2014 2:13 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
>> wrote:

>> >   *sigh* ... the fact that nick has, *single-handedly*, pissed off and
>> > wasted the time of numerous subsystem maintainers to the point where
>> > he has been banned from LKML and has, in addition, *single-handedly*
>> > turned the kernel newbies mailing list into his personal self-help
>> > playground means that he needs to be shown the door.
>> >
>> >   i don't want to sound unsympathetic, but it doesn't *matter* if this
>> > is nick's fault or not -- he is, quite simply, a disruptive influence
>> > and is, at the moment, turning this mailing list into chaos.
>> >
>> >   people are asking, can he be salvaged? to which the proper answer
>> > is, who cares? there are a *lot* of kernel newbies out there who would
>> > desperately like to get to the point where *they* can start submitting
>> > patches, and most of *those* people are willing to read and listen and
>> > follow the advice of the veterans to the point where they become
>> > useful contributors. nick is not.
>> >
>> >   it's massively ironic that countless people have told nick what he
>> > should be doing, to which his inveitable response is, "ok, but what
>> > should i be doing?"
>> >
>> >   if you want to help nick, knock yourself out but take it offline.
>> > nick has already wasted far too much bandwidth that could have been
>> > invested in helping newbies that are willing to *listen*.
>> >
>> > rday
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > ========================================================================
>> > Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>> >                         http://crashcourse.ca
>> >
>> > Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday
>> > LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
Lidza,
I am fine here. I didn't listen and that is the key issue if people
don't want to give me a second change that's
fine.
Cheers Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 18:42                         ` Lidza Louina
From: Lidza Louina @ 2014-08-06 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I still highly recommend that you talk to someone.

Lidza

@ 2014-08-06 18:45                           ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Lidza Louina <lidza.louina@gmail.com> wrote:
> I still highly recommend that you talk to someone.
>
> Lidza
>
> On Aug 6, 2014 2:33 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Lidza Louina <lidza.louina@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Nick, stop sending patches and emails. Go talk to someone in real life,
>> > have
>> > them to look at the emails and talk to them about it.
>> > Talk to someone that understands your communication style and can
>> > explain
>> > these things to you in a way that you can understand it. You are making
>> > things worse by trying to contact people that you have annoyed.
>> >
>> > Step away from the computer and talk to someone in real life because
>> > none of
>> > the emails and suggestions people have given seem to be helping you.
>> >
>> > Lidza

>> Lidza,
>> I am fine here. I didn't listen and that is the key issue if people
>> don't want to give me a second change that's
>> fine.
>> Cheers Nick
Talk about what ? The issue is my listening.
Cheers Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 18:53                             ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-08-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

People. Can we continue the technical discussions on this list? I have no
interest anymore in Nicks problems.

Take the discussions with Nick off list.

@ 2014-08-06 18:56                               ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-08-06 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Kristofer Hallin
<kristofer.hallin@gmail.com> wrote:
> People. Can we continue the technical discussions on this list? I have no
> interest anymore in Nicks problems.
>
> Take the discussions with Nick off list.
>
> On Aug 6, 2014 8:46 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Lidza Louina <lidza.louina@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I still highly recommend that you talk to someone.
>> >
>> > Lidza

>> Talk about what ? The issue is my listening.
>> Cheers Nick

Let's stop this discussion, I do feel I am getting no where and this is wasting
the list's bandwidth.
Nick

* Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers
@ 2014-08-06 20:45                               ` StephanT
From: StephanT @ 2014-08-06 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

YESsssss !

With the occasion may I get some comments to the REAL_TECH question I asked above. The CPU throttling thingy :)

Will be eternally indebted to the ONE who helps me to understand.

Thanks in advance,
Stephan