* What should the Ceph Foundation be about ?
@ 2014-05-01 14:35 Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2014-05-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

Hi Ceph co-developers,

I wrote down a few ideas about what I'd like the Ceph Foundation to provide, from a developer perspective :

   https://wiki.ceph.com/Development/Foundation

This is no more than a wishlist, feel free to add whatever you have in mind ;-)

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: What should the Ceph Foundation be about ?
@ 2014-05-01 14:44 ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2014-05-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

On 05/01/2014 04:35 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi Ceph co-developers,
>
> I wrote down a few ideas about what I'd like the Ceph Foundation to provide, from a developer perspective :
>
>     https://wiki.ceph.com/Development/Foundation
>
> This is no more than a wishlist, feel free to add whatever you have in mind ;-)

I added two lines which I think are important:
- Trademark ownership
- Logo ownership (implied by the first one)

I fully understand the people at Inktank are currently very busy with
arranging all kinds of things, so I'm expecting a bit of lag on this topic.

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902
Skype: contact42on

* Re: What should the Ceph Foundation be about ?
@ 2014-05-01 16:32   ` Patrick McGarry
From: Patrick McGarry @ 2014-05-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

I added some of the more general thinking about mission and directives
that I have been chewing on for the last few months.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I really don't want to
get to attached to the idea of a foundation until we have had a chance
to sit down with the folks at Red Hat.  There are some really great
minds there that have been thinking about these issues far longer than
I have.

People like Jim Jagielski, Brian Stevens, Michael Tiemann, and many
others are bound to have years of experience that can help us make the
best decisions for the Ceph community.  I'm really looking forward to
exploring this topic with them as they have been very welcoming so
far.

If anyone has any questions or would like to discuss the existing
thinking around foundation please feel free to poke my in IRC
(scuttlemonkey).  While I obviously don't have answers, I can at least
give you my take on the lay of the land so you'll know at least 1/2 of
the pending discussion.

Best Regards,

Patrick McGarry
Director, Community || Inktank
http://ceph.com  ||  http://inktank.com
@scuttlemonkey || @ceph || @inktank

@ 2014-05-06  3:35     ` Justin Erenkrantz
From: Justin Erenkrantz @ 2014-05-06  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick McGarry; +Cc: Wido den Hollander, Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Patrick McGarry <patrick@inktank.com> wrote:
> People like Jim Jagielski, Brian Stevens, Michael Tiemann, and many
> others are bound to have years of experience that can help us make the
> best decisions for the Ceph community.  I'm really looking forward to
> exploring this topic with them as they have been very welcoming so
> far.

Given our backgrounds, I'm sure that my advice will be similar to
Jim's; but, I'm happy to act as a sounding board as someone who has
been an advocate for Ceph for a while now.  =)

I'll be in Atlanta next week for the OpenStack Summit - happy to
discuss this over drinks if you or anyone else will be there!  --
justin

* Re: What should the Ceph Foundation be about ?
@ 2014-05-06  3:54       ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-05-06  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Erenkrantz
  Cc: Patrick McGarry, Wido den Hollander, Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

On Mon, 5 May 2014, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Patrick McGarry <patrick@inktank.com> wrote:
> > People like Jim Jagielski, Brian Stevens, Michael Tiemann, and many
> > others are bound to have years of experience that can help us make the
> > best decisions for the Ceph community.  I'm really looking forward to
> > exploring this topic with them as they have been very welcoming so
> > far.
>
> Given our backgrounds, I'm sure that my advice will be similar to
> Jim's; but, I'm happy to act as a sounding board as someone who has
> been an advocate for Ceph for a while now.  =)
>
> I'll be in Atlanta next week for the OpenStack Summit - happy to
> discuss this over drinks if you or anyone else will be there!  --

Excellent-- I look forward to seeing you there!

sage

* Re: What should the Ceph Foundation be about ?
@ 2014-05-06  7:03         ` Li Wang
From: Li Wang @ 2014-05-06  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, Justin Erenkrantz
  Cc: Patrick McGarry, Wido den Hollander, Loic Dachary, Ceph Development

On 2014/5/6 11:54, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2014, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Patrick McGarry <patrick@inktank.com> wrote:
>>> People like Jim Jagielski, Brian Stevens, Michael Tiemann, and many
>>> others are bound to have years of experience that can help us make the
>>> best decisions for the Ceph community.  I'm really looking forward to
>>> exploring this topic with them as they have been very welcoming so
>>> far.
>> Given our backgrounds, I'm sure that my advice will be similar to
>> Jim's; but, I'm happy to act as a sounding board as someone who has
>> been an advocate for Ceph for a while now.  =)
>>
>> I'll be in Atlanta next week for the OpenStack Summit - happy to
>> discuss this over drinks if you or anyone else will be there!  --
> Excellent-- I look forward to seeing you there!
I will be there as well, see you then

@ 2014-05-06  7:11           ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2014-05-06  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Wang, Sage Weil, Justin Erenkrantz
  Cc: Patrick McGarry, Wido den Hollander, Ceph Development

There are two rendez-vous points already, although not specifically for the Ceph foundation topic:

Meetup sunday 11th, evening http://www.meetup.com/Ceph-in-Atlanta/events/174131332/
Ceph developers session tuesday 13th, 11:15-14:40 http://sched.co/1kczSZy

It would be great if we could setup a meeting during the summit to discuss the Ceph foundation.

Cheers

       [not found] <217643357.189.1399412810326.JavaMail.root@thunderbeast.private.linuxbox.com>
@ 2014-05-06 21:49 ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-05-06 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Wang
  Cc: Patrick McGarry, Wido den Hollander, Loic Dachary,
	Ceph Development, Sage Weil, Justin Erenkrantz

Hi,

Is there a known time at the Summit when this discussion might be taking place?
I have limited time window during which I could be present, but would make an
effort to do so.  I'm mostly interested in listening in, but have some useful context (OpenAFS foundation, not a board member).

Regards,

Matt

----- "Li Wang" <liwang@ubuntukylin.com> wrote:

> On 2014/5/6 11:54, Sage Weil wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 May 2014, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> many
> the
> so
> >> Given our backgrounds, I'm sure that my advice will be similar to
> >> Jim's; but, I'm happy to act as a sounding board as someone who
> has
> >> been an advocate for Ceph for a while now.  =)
> >>
> >> I'll be in Atlanta next week for the OpenStack Summit - happy to
> >> discuss this over drinks if you or anyone else will be there!  --
> > Excellent-- I look forward to seeing you there!
> I will be there as well, see you then
> >
> > sage
> > --
> in