* soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 12:13 Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2009-09-26 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hello,

I have recently been working on getting soundmodem running on OpenWRT
on an ASUS WL-520gU router with a USB audio dongle. I have had some
initial success so I thought I would make the magic available to
anyone who is interested.

I have posted the software and a rudimentary set of installation
instructions at http://www.ve1fis.net, follow the link to
"Frankenrouter-2". These instructions assume a working knowledge of
OpenWRT and AX.25 on Linux.

It is just a proof of concept at this point; I have successfully used
it for a couple of days to monitor APRS traffic (using the axlisten
command) and send APRS beacons (using the beacon command). After you
install the packages it is up to you to make it do something. On my
router there is about 500k of flash available after installation.

This soundmodem package differs from vanilla soundmodem in a couple of ways:
- I patched in a lightweight xml parser
(http://ezxml.sourceforge.net/) to avoid requiring libxml2
- There is no configuration application; you need to create your own
soundmodem.conf

I welcome any suggestions for improvements, and please let me know if
you find this useful. I think this would be a great platform for
ldsped (http://www.on7lds.net/ldsped/index.html) once it is released
in source code.

Frank VE1FIS

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 13:22 ` Alan Crosswell
From: Alan Crosswell @ 2009-09-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Smith; +Cc: linux-hams

Frank,

This sounds like a great platform for aprsdigi (http://
aprsdigi.sf.net), aprsd, etc.
73
/a

On Sep 26, 2009, at 8:13 AM, Frank Smith <frankiansmith@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently been working on getting soundmodem running on OpenWRT
> on an ASUS WL-520gU router with a USB audio dongle. I have had some
> initial success so I thought I would make the magic available to
> anyone who is interested.
>
> I have posted the software and a rudimentary set of installation
> instructions at http://www.ve1fis.net, follow the link to
> "Frankenrouter-2". These instructions assume a working knowledge of
> OpenWRT and AX.25 on Linux.
>
> It is just a proof of concept at this point; I have successfully used
> it for a couple of days to monitor APRS traffic (using the axlisten
> command) and send APRS beacons (using the beacon command). After you
> install the packages it is up to you to make it do something. On my
> router there is about 500k of flash available after installation.
>
> This soundmodem package differs from vanilla soundmodem in a couple
> of ways:
> - I patched in a lightweight xml parser
> (http://ezxml.sourceforge.net/) to avoid requiring libxml2
> - There is no configuration application; you need to create your own
> soundmodem.conf
>
> I welcome any suggestions for improvements, and please let me know if
> you find this useful. I think this would be a great platform for
> ldsped (http://www.on7lds.net/ldsped/index.html) once it is released
> in source code.
>
> Frank VE1FIS
> hams" in

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 13:48   ` Frank Smith
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Frank Smith @ 2009-09-26 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Crosswell; +Cc: linux-hams

Alan,

Yes, I agree, and didn't mean to discount any particular packet radio software.

My key interest, and the reason for mentioning ldsped in particular,
is that I am interested in creating a "packet radio engine" box out of
a cheap router, that I can connect to with packet software running on
a laptop or other WiFi device, maybe even an iPod touch.

I think that Linux as a platform for packet radio could become more
popular if it could be embedded in a box like a router so that hams
with little experience in Linux, and are not interested in learning
it, could just use it as an off-the-shelf appliance with whatever
packet clients they like, on any OS platform they want.

It would be nice if existing APRS clients such as UI-View and Xastir
could use this "packet radio engine" using existing mechanisms, such
as the AGWPE TCP/IP protocol.  I am fairly new to packet so if anyone
has any suggestions for other ways that I could accomplish what I want
to do I would be very interested in hearing them.

Frank VE1FIS.

@ 2009-09-26 14:28     ` Alan Crosswell
From: Alan Crosswell @ 2009-09-26 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Smith; +Cc: linux-hams

For the APRS community, aprsd would do it as you'd basically have an
APRS-IS server in a box. Very useful for portable public service uses.

@ 2009-09-26 14:39   ` Curt, WE7U
From: Curt, WE7U @ 2009-09-26 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Crosswell; +Cc: Frank Smith, linux-hams

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> This sounds like a great platform for aprsdigi (http://aprsdigi.sf.net),
> aprsd, etc.

Same for the stuff at wetnet.net!  I don't think he's done a
soundmodem config there yet.  I believe he told me it was just a
matter of writing a web config setup for it so that one could bypass
the soundmodem GUI setup program.

Maybe you guys could join forces and "get 'er done".  I'll be seeing
him at brunch in a couple of hours so I'll try to remember to
mention this thread to him.

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 14:42       ` Alan Crosswell
From: Alan Crosswell @ 2009-09-26 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Smith; +Cc: linux-hams

... also as a replacement for TNC-based digipeaters such as Kantronics,
PacComm, etc. since the alternative right now is a normal PC rather than
a small appliance.
/a

@ 2009-09-26 14:42     ` Curt, WE7U
From: Curt, WE7U @ 2009-09-26 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Smith; +Cc: Alan Crosswell, linux-hams

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Frank Smith wrote:

> My key interest, and the reason for mentioning ldsped in particular,
> is that I am interested in creating a "packet radio engine" box out of
> a cheap router,

Like the stuff at wetnet.net.  Intended to go on a cheap router.
Linux.  Web configuration of everything.

> It would be nice if existing APRS clients such as UI-View and Xastir
> could use this "packet radio engine" using existing mechanisms, such
> as the AGWPE TCP/IP protocol.

Xastir has the capability to use AGWPE.  I coded up that particular
capability myself.

The main thing is to keep talking about what you want and what
you've accomplished, so that the discussion moves along and we all
learn.

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 14:44       ` Curt, WE7U
From: Curt, WE7U @ 2009-09-26 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Crosswell; +Cc: Frank Smith, linux-hams

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> For the APRS community, aprsd would do it as you'd basically have an APRS-IS
> server in a box. Very useful for portable public service uses.

There's also aprsd.pl, available at the link below.  Click on WE7U's
ftp site and click down into the "aprs" directory.  I haven't worked
on it in a while but it's pretty small and should run on all kinds
of boxes that have Perl, with perhaps minor mods.  Was written on
Linux.

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 14:48       ` Alan Crosswell
From: Alan Crosswell @ 2009-09-26 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curt, WE7U; +Cc: Frank Smith, linux-hams

One day, I'm going to have to learn what the differences are between
aprsdigi and digi_ned.....

@ 2009-09-26 14:50         ` Curt, WE7U
From: Curt, WE7U @ 2009-09-26 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Crosswell; +Cc: Frank Smith, linux-hams

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> ... also as a replacement for TNC-based digipeaters such as Kantronics,
> PacComm, etc. since the alternative right now is a normal PC rather than
> a small appliance.

Check out the ArgentData Tracker2 products...

Or...  Throw a TNC-X or some other TNC in KISS mode onto one of the
routers running OpenWRT plus the AX.25 stuff and you're good.  I
have a couple of WRT-54GS wireless routers that are headed for
serial port mods real soon now.  Each one will get two real serial
ports and a firmware change.

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 15:00           ` Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2009-09-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curt, WE7U; +Cc: Alan Crosswell, linux-hams

The OpenTracker+ RT works nicely in this role:
http://www.ve1fis.net/frankenrouter-1

99.44% of the credit for this goes to Chris Kantarjiev K9DBG:
http://www.dimebank.com/cak/k6dbg/k6dbg_igate.html

-Frank

@ 2009-09-26 15:13       ` Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2009-09-26 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curt, WE7U; +Cc: Alan Crosswell, linux-hams

Exactly. Wetnet.net packages were a big help to me with this project.

I see two types of client access here: one using a protocol such as
AGWPE that is already supported by existing clients, and another
web-based interface where any IP-based client can do packet from a web
browser. This opens up packet and APRS to iPod touch type devices.

Stick a router and a radio in your trunk, and you can do APRS on your
laptop or touch from the front seat.

@ 2009-09-26 15:25           ` Alan Crosswell
From: Alan Crosswell @ 2009-09-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curt, WE7U; +Cc: Frank Smith, linux-hams

Why would you plug in a hardware TNC when you get a better TNC with
soundmodem?

@ 2009-09-26 16:14     ` Bob Nielsen
From: Bob Nielsen @ 2009-09-26 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams@vger.kernel.org HAMs

Another suitable platform is the $99 Sheevaplug dev kit <http://
www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx>.
I'm running a DX Spider node on mine, but haven't yet got packet set
up.  I'm planning to use a USB TNC, but soundmodem would be an
option.  It comes with Ubuntu 9.04 installed but the kernel lacks AX.
25 support so I compiled a new one but need to install it on a SD
memory\x10 card and reconfigure a few things so it will boot from the
card.  The Sheevaplug runs on a 1.2 GHz ARM processor and has ports
for both USB and gigabit ethernet.  Check out the Xastir reflector
for KM5VY's experiences with his Sheevaplug.

73, Bob N7XY

@ 2009-09-26 16:27       ` Christof Bodner
From: Christof Bodner @ 2009-09-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Nielsen; +Cc: linux-hams@vger.kernel.org HAMs

Hi there,

Nice to hear, that you are thinking of using soundmodem. I also want to
use it, but unfortunately it stopped working in Ubuntu.
(http://markmail.org/message/q5ki2xjqsa6yygdj)

Did you say that ist's working in an Ubuntu 9.04 system, Bob? If so, I
would have to check what's the difference to mine...

73 de OE8BCK, Christof

--
             (0-0)
---------oOO--(_)--OOo-----------------------------------------------

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 17:05         ` Bob Nielsen
From: Bob Nielsen @ 2009-09-26 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christof Bodner; +Cc: linux-hams@vger.kernel.org HAMs

Christof,

I am not running soundmodem, just thinking about it.  I didn't
realize it wasn't working on Ubuntu.  There are a few things which
haven't worked for me on that box, such as tlf, but I haven't yet
found the problem.  I also have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a PC, so I
can hopefully see if it is related to the ARM vs i386 differences.

73, Bob N7XY

@ 2009-09-26 22:29           ` Curt, WE7U
From: Curt, WE7U @ 2009-09-26 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Nielsen; +Cc: Christof Bodner, linux-hams@vger.kernel.org HAMs

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> I am not running soundmodem, just thinking about it.  I didn't realize it
> wasn't working on Ubuntu.  There are a few things which haven't worked for me
> on that box, such as tlf, but I haven't yet found the problem.  I also have
> Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a PC, so I can hopefully see if it is related to the
> ARM vs i386 differences.

I thought I saw a thread somewhere about Ubuntu going to pulse
audio which broke a few audio things like soundmodem.  Worth a quick
Google search to those with the problem.

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-10-03 22:54     ` Ken Koster
From: Ken Koster @ 2009-10-03 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curt, WE7U; +Cc: Alan Crosswell, Frank Smith, linux-hams

On Saturday 26 September 2009 07:39:17 am Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, Alan Crosswell wrote:
>
> > This sounds like a great platform for aprsdigi (http://aprsdigi.sf.net),
> > aprsd, etc.
>
> Same for the stuff at wetnet.net!  I don't think he's done a
> soundmodem config there yet.  I believe he told me it was just a
> matter of writing a web config setup for it so that one could bypass
> the soundmodem GUI setup program.

Correct,

I've taken Frank's soundmodem files and am integrating them with the stuff
on wetnet.net.  My next release (do RSN :-)) will add soundmodem with the
ability to do a manual config but not a web config.  I want to get a new
release out first to fix the known problems with what is currently up
there. (aprsd and digi_ned config files and scripts are broken).

Ken, N7IPB

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-27  0:45   ` Stelios Bounanos
From: Stelios Bounanos @ 2009-09-27  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Smith; +Cc: linux-hams

> That's one of the first things I discovered when I started playing
> with these routers, aprs4r just didn't fit.

> As much as I would love to develop Python-based software for this, in
> order to make this thing as useful to as many as possible I don't
> think any scripting-language-based software like Perl, Python or Ruby
> is practical, at least for now, until 8M-flash routers become the
> norm.

The Netgear WGT634U is a somewhat older router but has more flash and
RAM than many newer ones.  200 MHz MIPS CPU, 8MB flash, 32MB ram, USB
2.0 port, serial port, Atheros mini-PCI card, programmable 5-port
switch.

> Adding a USB flash stick is a possibility, but too clunky I think.
> Just another potential point of failure.

Yes, but then you can run a real distro.  I used to run Debian (vanilla
kernel + some openwrt patches) on a wgt634u.  It happily booted and ran
off a cheap USB flash drive for several years.  Never had to use more
than 50% of the 512MB available IIRC, no problems with the ext3
filesystem on the drive.

This little box was running bind, exim4, dhcpd, a netfilter
nat/firewall, and some other stuff, with about 12MB free ram.  I did
have to run exim in queuing mode so that it wouldn't fork to deliver
incoming mail immediately and run out of memory :)

73,
Stelios, M0GLD.

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 15:26 ` Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2009-09-26 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Kantarjiev; +Cc: linux-hams

Fine by me, as long as I don't have to learn Ruby or re-learn Perl :-)

A leaner Kamikaze would be nice. I keep hitting the wall whenever I
want to add something new. Try adding alsamixer... hit the wall. Try
adding bluetooth (to talk to a GPS logger)... hit the wall.

@ 2009-09-26 15:22 Chris Kantarjiev
From: Chris Kantarjiev @ 2009-09-26 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frankiansmith; +Cc: alan, linux-hams

@ 2009-09-26 15:21 ` Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2009-09-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Kantarjiev; +Cc: alan, linux-hams

@ 2009-09-26 15:12 Chris Kantarjiev
From: Chris Kantarjiev @ 2009-09-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: archer, frankiansmith; +Cc: alan, linux-hams

> The OpenTracker+ RT works nicely in this role:
> http://www.ve1fis.net/frankenrouter-1
>
> 99.44% of the credit for this goes to Chris Kantarjiev K9DBG:
> http://www.dimebank.com/cak/k6dbg/k6dbg_igate.html

Thanks :-)

One of my "spare time" projects is porting the soundmodem receive
code to that processor, since it doesn't hear as well as it
sends. If someone else has a better understanding of DSP code,
I'd love to collaborate - I haven't thought about such
things for 30 years.

73,
chris

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 15:08 Chris Kantarjiev
From: Chris Kantarjiev @ 2009-09-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan, frankiansmith; +Cc: linux-hams

@ 2008-10-03 16:13 Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2008-10-03 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Crosswell; +Cc: linux-hams

I tried that, basically using aprsd as a gateway from my WiFi LAN to RF, and it worked, but the packets came out as 3rd party. Is there a way to have aprsd gateway packets transparently?

Thanks,
Frank VE1FIS