* soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 12:13 Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2009-09-26 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hello,

I have recently been working on getting soundmodem running on OpenWRT
on an ASUS WL-520gU router with a USB audio dongle. I have had some
initial success so I thought I would make the magic available to
anyone who is interested.

I have posted the software and a rudimentary set of installation
instructions at http://www.ve1fis.net, follow the link to
"Frankenrouter-2". These instructions assume a working knowledge of
OpenWRT and AX.25 on Linux.

It is just a proof of concept at this point; I have successfully used
it for a couple of days to monitor APRS traffic (using the axlisten
command) and send APRS beacons (using the beacon command). After you
install the packages it is up to you to make it do something. On my
router there is about 500k of flash available after installation.

This soundmodem package differs from vanilla soundmodem in a couple of ways:
- I patched in a lightweight xml parser
(http://ezxml.sourceforge.net/) to avoid requiring libxml2
- There is no configuration application; you need to create your own
soundmodem.conf

I welcome any suggestions for improvements, and please let me know if
you find this useful. I think this would be a great platform for
ldsped (http://www.on7lds.net/ldsped/index.html) once it is released
in source code.

Frank VE1FIS

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 15:22 Chris Kantarjiev
From: Chris Kantarjiev @ 2009-09-26 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frankiansmith; +Cc: alan, linux-hams

> As much as I would love to develop Python-based software for this, in
> order to make this thing as useful to as many as possible I don't
> think any scripting-language-based software like Perl, Python or Ruby
> is practical, at least for now, until 8M-flash routers become the
> norm.

Or we could work on shrinking Kamikaze back to a sane size.

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 15:12 Chris Kantarjiev
From: Chris Kantarjiev @ 2009-09-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: archer, frankiansmith; +Cc: alan, linux-hams

> The OpenTracker+ RT works nicely in this role:
> http://www.ve1fis.net/frankenrouter-1
>
> 99.44% of the credit for this goes to Chris Kantarjiev K9DBG:
> http://www.dimebank.com/cak/k6dbg/k6dbg_igate.html

Thanks :-)

One of my "spare time" projects is porting the soundmodem receive
code to that processor, since it doesn't hear as well as it
sends. If someone else has a better understanding of DSP code,
I'd love to collaborate - I haven't thought about such
things for 30 years.

73,
chris

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2009-09-26 15:08 Chris Kantarjiev
From: Chris Kantarjiev @ 2009-09-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan, frankiansmith; +Cc: linux-hams

> It would be nice if existing APRS clients such as UI-View and Xastir
> could use this "packet radio engine" using existing mechanisms, such
> as the AGWPE TCP/IP protocol.  I am fairly new to packet so if anyone
> has any suggestions for other ways that I could accomplish what I want
> to do I would be very interested in hearing them.

The aprs4r digi software package provides, among other things, the
ability to export the packet stream on socket that Xastir & UI-View
will understand.

It used to run in the 4MB routers (WRT54GL) but the recent Kamikaze
releases have gotten just a bit too big.

73 de chris K6DBG

* Re: soundmodem on OpenWRT on ASUS WL-520gU router with USB audio
@ 2008-10-03 16:13 Frank Smith
From: Frank Smith @ 2008-10-03 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Crosswell; +Cc: linux-hams

I tried that, basically using aprsd as a gateway from my WiFi LAN to RF, and it worked, but the packets came out as 3rd party. Is there a way to have aprsd gateway packets transparently?

Thanks,
Frank VE1FIS