* upstart vs. task-proper-tools
@ 2011-08-24 11:03 Steffen Sledz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2011-08-24 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, Michael Lauer

We like to create an upstart based image. Therefor we use

  IMAGE_INIT_MANAGER = "upstart upstart-sysvcompat sysvinit-utils"

inside our image recipe.

Unfortunately our image somehow inherits task-proper-tools which contains an RDEPEND for sysvinit. This results in

-------------------------->snip<-------------------------
|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/sbin/runlevel
|       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/etc/init.d/rcS
|       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/etc/init.d/rc
|       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/etc/default/rcS
|       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
|  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package upstart.
-------------------------->snip<-------------------------

Regards,
Steffen

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany

* Re: upstart vs. task-proper-tools
@ 2011-08-24 12:31 ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2011-08-24 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, Michael Lauer

On 24.08.2011 13:03, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> We like to create an upstart based image. Therefor we use
>
>   IMAGE_INIT_MANAGER = "upstart upstart-sysvcompat sysvinit-utils"
>
> inside our image recipe.
>
> Unfortunately our image somehow inherits task-proper-tools which contains an RDEPEND for sysvinit. This results in
>
> -------------------------->snip<-------------------------
> |  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/sbin/runlevel
> |       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
> |  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/etc/init.d/rcS
> |       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
> |  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/etc/init.d/rc
> |       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
> |  * check_data_file_clashes: Package upstart-sysvcompat wants to install file /home/sledz/work/HydraIP/OE/tmp.6/rootfs/hydraip-hipox-devimage/etc/default/rcS
> |       But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
> |  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package upstart.
> -------------------------->snip<-------------------------

BTW:
What is the exact meaning/purpose/use of task-proper-tools?

The list contains a lot of tools with existing alternatives (e.g. syslog-ng vs. rsyslog or pump vs. dhcpcd). If an image contains for example rsyslog and task-proper-tools then syslog-ng is installed too although it is not used (rsyslog has a higher u-a prio). So it senselessly occupies image space. :(

Steffen

--

@ 2011-08-24 12:36   ` Marcin Juszkiewicz
From: Marcin Juszkiewicz @ 2011-08-24 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

W dniu 24.08.2011 14:31, Steffen Sledz pisze:
> BTW:
> What is the exact meaning/purpose/use of task-proper-tools?

Replace busybox components by full versions. Was made years ago and then
updated by several people. While working for BugLabs company I used it
to create rootfs without busybox.

> The list contains a lot of tools with existing alternatives (e.g. syslog-ng vs. rsyslog or pump vs. dhcpcd).

Then propose change which will allow to install one of them only at time?

* Re: upstart vs. task-proper-tools
@ 2011-08-24 14:26 ` Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2011-08-24 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Michael Lauer

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Steffen Sledz <sledz@dresearch-fe.de> wrote:
> We like to create an upstart based image. Therefor we use

Steffen, what are your thoughts on upstart vs systemd?  I am moving
toward systemd for one project, but I'm interested in what others are
choosing and why.

Thanks,
Cliff

--
=================
http://bec-systems.com

* Re: upstart vs. task-proper-tools
@ 2011-08-24 14:31   ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2011-08-24 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Michael Lauer

On 24.08.2011 16:26, Cliff Brake wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Steffen Sledz <sledz@dresearch-fe.de> wrote:
>> We like to create an upstart based image. Therefor we use
>
> Steffen, what are your thoughts on upstart vs systemd?  I am moving
> toward systemd for one project, but I'm interested in what others are
> choosing and why.

We're like to use systemd in the next major version of our images.

But currently we are bound to the runlevel model. We only want to use some additional upstart features.

Steffen

--

@ 2011-08-24 14:34     ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2011-08-24 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 24.08.2011 14:36, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 24.08.2011 14:31, Steffen Sledz pisze:
>> BTW:
>> What is the exact meaning/purpose/use of task-proper-tools?
>
> Replace busybox components by full versions. Was made years ago and then
> updated by several people. While working for BugLabs company I used it
> to create rootfs without busybox.
>
>> The list contains a lot of tools with existing alternatives (e.g. syslog-ng vs. rsyslog or pump vs. dhcpcd).
>
> Then propose change which will allow to install one of them only at time?

Sorry, but my knowledge is not sufficient to do this. I've no idea how to reference u-a related tools here.

Who can help?

--

@ 2011-08-24 14:45       ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2011-08-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 04:34:06PM +0200, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> On 24.08.2011 14:36, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> > W dniu 24.08.2011 14:31, Steffen Sledz pisze:
> >> BTW:
> >> What is the exact meaning/purpose/use of task-proper-tools?
> >
> > Replace busybox components by full versions. Was made years ago and then
> > updated by several people. While working for BugLabs company I used it
> > to create rootfs without busybox.
> >
> >> The list contains a lot of tools with existing alternatives (e.g. syslog-ng vs. rsyslog or pump vs. dhcpcd).
> >
> > Then propose change which will allow to install one of them only at time?
>
> Sorry, but my knowledge is not sufficient to do this. I've no idea how to reference u-a related tools here.

Why you don't remove task-proper-tools from your images RDEPENDS and add
only tools you need which aren't provided by upstart?

or use something like
DISTRO_SYSLOG ?= "syslog-ng"
in task-proper-tools

and set
DISTRO_SYSLOG = upstart
for your distro if distro level granularity is fine for you (all
supported images are using upstart).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: upstart vs. task-proper-tools
@ 2011-08-24 14:57         ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2011-08-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Martin Jansa

On 24.08.2011 16:45, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 04:34:06PM +0200, Steffen Sledz wrote:
>>>
>>> Replace busybox components by full versions. Was made years ago and then updated by several people. While working for BugLabs company I used it to create rootfs without busybox.

>>> Then propose change which will allow to install one of them only at time?
>>
>> Sorry, but my knowledge is not sufficient to do this. I've no idea how to reference u-a related tools here.
>
> Why you don't remove task-proper-tools from your images RDEPENDS and add only tools you need which aren't provided by upstart?

task-proper-tools is not directly in our image RDEPENDS but inherited via task-sdk-native (may be via others too).

> or use something like DISTRO_SYSLOG ?= "syslog-ng" in task-proper-tools
>
> and set DISTRO_SYSLOG = upstart for your distro if distro level granularity is fine for you (all supported images are using upstart).

We do not have an own distro (we use angstrom). It's only a custom image.

And the initial problem is sysvinit vs. upstart which are not u-a but need to be installed exclusively. If i'm right this is done by setting IMAGE_INIT_MANAGER. Can this variable used inside the task-proper-tools RDEPENDS?

--

@ 2011-08-24 15:14           ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2011-08-24 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Sledz; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 04:57:31PM +0200, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> On 24.08.2011 16:45, Martin Jansa wrote:

> >> Sorry, but my knowledge is not sufficient to do this. I've no idea how to reference u-a related tools here.
> >
> > Why you don't remove task-proper-tools from your images RDEPENDS and add only tools you need which aren't provided by upstart?
>
> task-proper-tools is not directly in our image RDEPENDS but inherited via task-sdk-native (may be via others too).

then maybe it's time to propose removing it from task-sdk-native or add
switch controlling if it should be included or not.

> > or use something like DISTRO_SYSLOG ?= "syslog-ng" in task-proper-tools
> >
> > and set DISTRO_SYSLOG = upstart for your distro if distro level granularity is fine for you (all supported images are using upstart).
>
> We do not have an own distro (we use angstrom). It's only a custom image.
>
> And the initial problem is sysvinit vs. upstart which are not u-a but need to be installed exclusively. If i'm right this is done by setting IMAGE_INIT_MANAGER. Can this variable used inside the task-proper-tools RDEPENDS?

No because you have one global task-proper-tools for different images
(with possible different IMAGE_INIT_MANAGER values).

@ 2011-08-24 15:19 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-08-24 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: upstart vs. task-proper-tools
@ 2011-08-24 17:06             ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2011-08-24 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Am 24.08.2011 17:14, schrieb Martin Jansa:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 04:57:31PM +0200, Steffen Sledz wrote:

>>> Why you don't remove task-proper-tools from your images RDEPENDS and add only tools you need which aren't provided by upstart?
>>
>> task-proper-tools is not directly in our image RDEPENDS but inherited via task-sdk-native (may be via others too).
>
> then maybe it's time to propose removing it from task-sdk-native or add
> switch controlling if it should be included or not.

+1