cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] : isar-cip-core and cip-kernel-config
@ 2020-02-18 16:20 Gylstorff Quirin
From: Gylstorff Quirin @ 2020-02-18 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi all,

I am currently trying to have all targets in isar-cip-core running with
the matching configuration from cip-kernel-config. For some targets
there are missing config entries to boot Debian 10 e.g. [1].

Should I add these configuration directly to the matching defconfig in
cip-kernel-config or add new defconfig/snippets for isar-cip-core?

Currently I am adding them directly to the defconfigs as it is IHMO
more manageable as it avoid snippets/configs all over the place.

[1]:
https://gitlab.com/Quirin.Gy/cip-kernel-config/-/commit/92979dba2e3c03a422b5b9e8f9c592db9ff43f30

--
Quirin Gylstorff

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
Research in Digitalization and Automation
Smart Embedded Systems
CT RDA IOT SES-DE
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 Muenchen, Germany
Mobile: +49 173 3746683
mailto:quirin.gylstorff at siemens.com
www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim
Hagemann Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and
Chief Executive Officer; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich,
Cedrik Neike, Michael Sen, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered offices: Berlin
and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB
12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322

Important notice: This e-mail and any attachment thereof contain
corporate proprietary information. If you have received it by mistake,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and
its attachments from your system. Thank you.

* Re: [cip-dev] : isar-cip-core and cip-kernel-config
@ 2020-02-20 11:06 ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2020-02-20 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I am currently trying to have all targets in isar-cip-core running with
> the matching configuration from cip-kernel-config. For some targets
> there are missing config entries to boot Debian 10 e.g. [1].
>
> Should I add these configuration directly to the matching defconfig in
> cip-kernel-config or add new defconfig/snippets for isar-cip-core?

Good question.

I think cip-kernel-config was created to help the CIP maintainers know what configurations etc. to support/maintain.
How will it affect the maintainers if we start adding config options that are only required for testing, rather then for SLTS support? (Or do we technically also need SLTS support for the 'test' config options?)

> Currently I am adding them directly to the defconfigs as it is IHMO
> more manageable as it avoid snippets/configs all over the place.

Would another option be to have complete configurations for testing, rather than just the extra snippets?
It would mean we need to maintain two copies of mostly the same thing, but it'll make scripting easier and be clear what is for the Kernel maintainers and what is for testing.

Would it be possible to use the same 'testing' configurations/snippets for both deby and isar versions of cip-core?

Kind regards, Chris

@ 2020-06-09 11:25 ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2020-06-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Good to know Jan, thanks for the update.

@ 2020-06-09 10:00 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-06-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev