kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ?
@ 2020-09-29 10:26 Thomas Schmitt
From: Thomas Schmitt @ 2020-09-29 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

i sent my first patch set three weeks ago. See:
  https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/20200908120207.5014-1-scdbackup@gmx.net/T/#u

It was made with
  git format-patch
and sent by
  git send-email
to the addresses which were proposed here. In linux-scsi it showed up
after a day.

Then i followed the advise in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
  "Wait for a minimum of
   one week before resubmitting or pinging reviewers - possibly longer"

Still no reply yet. Neither to my mail address nor visible in the thread
display of lore.kernel.org.

Could some merciful person have a look at my patch set and point me to
obvious reasons why it does not get considered ?

If no obvious shortcomming disqualifies my patches, what to do next ?

- Ping everybody ?

- Repost ?

- Post one of the patch sets which i made during my time of patience ?
  I have
  - 3 bug fixes for cdrom+sr
  - 1 augmentation of cdrom+sr for multi-session DVD and BD media
  - 1 wish for a new ioctl CDROM_SIMUL_CHANGE in cdrom+sr
  - 2 bug fixes for isofs

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

* Re: What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ?
@ 2020-09-29 10:34 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-09-29 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schmitt; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 12:26:20PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i sent my first patch set three weeks ago. See:
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/20200908120207.5014-1-scdbackup@gmx.net/T/#u
>
> It was made with
>   git format-patch
> and sent by
>   git send-email
> to the addresses which were proposed here. In linux-scsi it showed up
> after a day.
>
> Then i followed the advise in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
>   "Wait for a minimum of
>    one week before resubmitting or pinging reviewers - possibly longer"
>
> Still no reply yet. Neither to my mail address nor visible in the thread
> display of lore.kernel.org.
>
> Could some merciful person have a look at my patch set and point me to
> obvious reasons why it does not get considered ?

> If no obvious shortcomming disqualifies my patches, what to do next ?
>
> - Ping everybody ?
>
> - Repost ?

repost it and don't worry about it, maintainers get behind.

Also, I think the scsi list wants developers to help review other
patches, right?  Why not help out with that while you wait for your
patches to be reviewed?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ?
@ 2020-09-29 12:07   ` Thomas Schmitt
From: Thomas Schmitt @ 2020-09-29 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies; +Cc: greg

Hi,

Greg KH wrote:
> repost it and don't worry about it, maintainers get behind.

Will do.

> Also, I think the scsi list wants developers to help review other
> patches, right?  Why not help out with that while you wait for your
> patches to be reviewed?

My SCSI knowledge is concentrated on optical drives, which i am used to
operate from userland via ioctl(SG_IO). So if it's not about cdrom or sr
(or isofs), i am not qualified to have an own opinion.

I saw no patch sets which would deal with my topics, other than the very
broad one by Christoph Hellwig which by two patches affects sr:
  https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/b5e51c24-b9a6-979f-8fe0-f762f113bba3@kernel.dk/T/#t

I studied it, but the only thought it gave me was that my wished new ioctl
had to become more independent of the entrails of general block device
handling. (Now it is much leaner and less needy of justifications that it
is indeed harmless.)

Hm. Jens Axboe writes "Applied". Maybe i can learn to which repo and
rebase my patch for that one ...

Have a nice day :)

Thomas