* I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
@ 2005-09-26 19:38 Luben Tuikov
From: Luben Tuikov @ 2005-09-26 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I request inclusion of the SAS Transport Layer
and the AIC-94xx SAS LLDD into the Linux kernel.

Please find the latest Linus' git tree with SAS
Transport Layer and AIC-94xx, patches and
a whole tar.bz2 tree here:

http://linux.adaptec.com/sas/

There you will also find the original announcements
posted to this list.

The code is updated twice daily or more often as
needed.

Thank you,
	Luben

* I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
@ 2005-09-27 13:07 Luben Tuikov
From: Luben Tuikov @ 2005-09-27 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton

Hi Linus,

I request inclusion of the SAS Transport Layer
and the AIC-94xx SAS LLDD into the Linux kernel.

Please find your latest git tree with SAS
Transport Layer and AIC-94xx, patches and
a whole tar.bz2 tree here:

http://linux.adaptec.com/sas/

There you will also find the original announcements
posted to this list.

The code is updated twice daily or more often as
needed.

Thank you,
	Luben
P.S. This is a second resend of an identical message
I posted to lkml and lsml yesterday.

* RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into  the kernel
@ 2005-09-28  0:28 Moore, Eric Dean
From: Moore, Eric Dean @ 2005-09-28  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luben Tuikov, Jeff Garzik
	SCSI Mailing List

On Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:51 PM, Luben Tuikov wrote:

> Christoph's code is
>  * MPT based only,
>  * doesn't follow a spec to save its life,
>  * far inferior in SAS capabilities and SAS representation
>    again, due to the fact that it is MPT based.
>
> Since the whole point of MPT is to _hide_ the transport.

Hi Luben,

OK, Man are you alright?

I've heard of other vendors planning to
provide solutions where sas is implemented
in firmware, similar to MPT.  Christophs
sas layer is going to work with other
solutions, don't think of it being
MPT centric.

Later,
Eric Moore

* RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into  the kernel
@ 2005-09-28 15:15 Moore, Eric Dean
From: Moore, Eric Dean @ 2005-09-28 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltuikov, Luben Tuikov, Jeff Garzik
	SCSI Mailing List

On Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:42 AM, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> > Hi Luben,
> >
> > OK, Man are you alright?
> >
> > I've heard of other vendors planning to
> > provide solutions where sas is implemented
> > in firmware, similar to MPT.  Christophs
> > sas layer is going to work with other
> > solutions, don't think of it being
> > MPT centric.
>
> Where in what I said above do I say that it will _not_
> work with _other_ MPT based drivers?  Nowhere!
>
> Yes it _will_ work with other MPT-like drivers but
> to cut and paste again from above:
>  * MPT based only,
>  * doesn't follow a spec to save its life,
>  * far inferior in SAS capabilities and SAS representation
>    again, due to the fact that it is MPT based.
>
> When I say MPT, I do not mean MPT(R), I mean MPT as
> in technology, not as in trademark.
>
>      Luben

Luben: I guess you didn't get what I meant.

I was referring that there are other
*vendors* (not LSI, e.g MegaRAID) that are
working on sas solutions with sas firmware
implementation. One that comes to mind is
Intel SunRise Lake, which is non a MPT based
solution, that would work with Christophs
Sas Layer. There maybe others, such as emulex.
Perhaps James S. could comment on that.

Eric

* RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into  the kernel
@ 2005-09-28 22:17 Moore, Eric Dean
From: Moore, Eric Dean @ 2005-09-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luben Tuikov
	Linus Torvalds, SCSI Mailing List

On Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:59 AM, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> On 09/28/05 11:15, Moore, Eric Dean wrote:
> > Luben: I guess you didn't get what I meant.
> >
> > I was referring that there are other
> > *vendors* (not LSI, e.g MegaRAID) that are
> > working on sas solutions with sas firmware
> > implementation. One that comes to mind is
> > Intel SunRise Lake, which is non a MPT based
> > solution, that would work with Christophs
> > Sas Layer. There maybe others, such as emulex.
> > Perhaps James S. could comment on that.
>
> This means that they have an IOP on the same
> silicone or on the same packaging.
>
> This means, again that they'd done all transport
> specific tasks in the FW (by the IOP).

Can you stop this tirade, e.g. conspiracy theory,
in regards to LSI/MPT and the transport layer?
That is not the case.   There will be other sas
solutions that implement discovery, and
sas/sata translation in firmware, higher level
event handling.

> Again, such solutions do _not_ need the
> SAS Transport Layer.
>
> They don't even need the attributes, but
> as a "nice to have" feature, you can use
> transport attributes.

Have you forgotten about CSMI/SDI?  It was
nearly a year ago I got blasted when I posted
a sas driver with all those IOCTLs.  CSMI/SDI
is more than a "nice to have" feature.
Its taken quite a bit of time(and greif)
to re-design the driver so it will work with
the transport layers in the way people on this
forum wanted it. Trust me, its been painful.

> You, as technical person, should recognize
> the different needs and thus the different
> solutions between LSI's implementation and
> Adaptec's.
>
> I'm surprised you never chimed in in defense
> of the _different_ technology.
>
> See, I've mentioned many times that the two
> radically different technologies can coexist.
> But I've not heard any technical word
> from the other guys: you.

I just don't have time to engage you.
I've got work to do, customer requests, issues,
etc.

Eric Moore

* RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into  the kernel
@ 2005-09-29 15:45 Moore, Eric Dean
From: Moore, Eric Dean @ 2005-09-29 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luben Tuikov

On Thursday, September 29, 2005 6:46 AM, Luben Tuikov wrote:

> On 09/28/05 18:17, Moore, Eric Dean wrote:
> > Can you stop this tirade, e.g. conspiracy theory,
> > in regards to LSI/MPT and the transport layer?
>
> What conspiracy theory?
>
> Oh you mean that one _technology_ is in the kernel
> and another distinct, radically _different_ is NOT?
>
> Oh you mean that conspiracy theory?

Thats just plain crap.  And your trash talking is plan crap.
My sas drivers have been rejected for
more than a year now. They were only accepted in the
past week.  During that time, I've had to endure many changes
in the driver to get them where they were accepted.  And that
has been very painful. I hope you know that we have support
CSMI/SDI interface (yes, we are SAS by the way).
How do you suggest we do that? The IOCTLS were rejected.

> > That is not the case.   There will be other sas
>
> I don't see our driver in the kernel, do you?
>
> > solutions that implement discovery, and
> > sas/sata translation in firmware, higher level
> > event handling.
>
> Yes, and they would all be MPT-like technology.
> I don't have a problem with that.
>
> What I have a problem with is that you folks
> just sit and watch this, while you could explain
> to James et al, that indeed the technologies
> are different and there is no reason NOT to include
> one but leave the other out.

Ok, fine, James Let them all in.

I have never said to alientate any other technology.
When did I ever say that?
I'm still not convinced that your sas transport will
work with any other technology but yours.  Or will it?

Christophs sas transport layer is generic?  I see nothing there
that says "this is MPT".   I thought all along since OLS, that you
were going to develop a layer that would work below it
for cards that don't have firmware assist?
Are you working with these guys on that?   I thought that is
what you were doing, or maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

> I was hoping you'd say something like, "Yeah, the
> technologies are different -- I don't see why one
> should be in and another not."

I agree with you.

* RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
@ 2005-09-30  1:28 Martin Fouts
From: Martin Fouts @ 2005-09-30  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Luben Tuikov
	Andrew Morton, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Luben Tuikov,
	Jeff Garzik

Warning: philosophical thread hijack ahead ;)

> A scientific theory is an approximation of observed behaviour
> WITH NO KNOWN HOLES.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it is a pet peeve of
mine.  Sorry for hijacking a thread.

The above is a good one sentence approximation of what a theory is in
science, but it's not correct.  The classic example, of course, is
quantum mechanics, which is a very good theory, and has the glaring
notorious hole of lacking an explanation for gravity.

> Once there are known holes in the theory, it's not a
> scientific theory. At best it's an approximation, but quite
> possibly it's just plain wrong.

Alas, the difference between theory and practice is much larger in
practice.  Most scientific theories have known holes in them.  Not
always as glaring as the lack of quantum gravity, but always present.

There are even well documented cases where the theory was not supported
by the observations, so the observations were, eventually, redone, only
to determine that they were done wrong in the first place; so it's not
even as simple as 'must agree with reality'.

Science, once you lift the lid is a very messy endevour.

> And that's my point. Specs are not only almost invariably
> badly written, they also never actually match reality.

Ooops.  I'm going to have to go back on topic here.  I think that a
large part of this debate over specs is due to looking at two different
aspects of specs.  I have often worked in a world where specs were very
accurate, and kept current with reality.  This is the world in which
specs are the basis for new things.  When it works, it works very well.

Most of us, though, are living in the world of finished devices.  The
problem in our world is that specs are allowed to bit-rot.  Architects,
when they care a lot about their work, maintain two sets of plans, the
'as designed' plans and the  'as built' plans.  We in the computer
industry, for a lot of reasons, tend not to maintain the 'as built'
plans.

> So don't talk about specs.

Unfortunately, even in our imperfect world of imperfect specs, we still
need them.  Rather than 'don't talk about specs', in the real world, we
have to deal with 'here's a spec, add a grain of salt'.  You don't get
interoperability without that, and you don't get code portability
without it either.

> Talk about working code that is _readable_ and _works_.

Once upon a time, we converted an (unnamed) fortune 500 company's C
compiler from vendor X to vendor Y.  As head of the OS team, I
volunteered our kernel as a test ap.  Eventually, we found a very
readable implementation of select that, unfortunately, was utterly
busted C code.  "luckily", the old compiler had a bug in it that caused
it to generate working code for the utterly busted C code.

Needless to say that reality and the spec differed in this case.

And we fixed reality to match the spec.

> There's an absolutely mindbogglingly huge difference between the two.

Yes.  "Be pragmatic about specs" is very good advice.  "Ignore specs" is
a recipe for anarchy. ;)

We now return your thread to its regularly scheduled debate.

* RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
@ 2005-09-30 17:07 Salyzyn, Mark
From: Salyzyn, Mark @ 2005-09-30 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tuikov, Luben, andrew.patterson
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

At the SAS BOF, I indicated that it would not be much trouble to
translate the CSMI handler in the aacraid driver to a similar sysfs
arrangement. If such info can be mined from a firmware based RAID card,
every driver should be able to do so. The spec writers really need to
consider rewriting SDI for sysfs (if they have not already) and move
away from an ABI.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn