* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 21:07 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

As the person  who first brought Iraq into this thread, I have to say this:  If
you think I was comparing the US to Iraq then you're mistaken.  I was merely
pointing out Iraq (semi-jokingly) as an example of a country that would not care
about enforcing US laws.

Wayne

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> on 10/22/2001 03:28:38 PM

To:   tudorb@pikka.net (Tudor Bosman)
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org) (bcc: Wayne
      Brown/Corporate/Altec)

Subject:  Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10

> 1. A description of a security hole is constitutionally protected
> speech, and as such cannot be construed as violating the sections of the
> DMCA.  If such description fits the definition of "technology, product,
> service, device, component, or part thereof", then we're in big trouble,
> because source code itself is much closer to the definition of a
> "product" than a description of the source code.

I firmly believe that if justice prevails in the existing DMCA cases you
will be shown to be right. I've seen people compare the US to Iraq and
I don't buy that.

However until people stop shooting I'd prefer not to be a potential target.

Alan
-

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-26 20:26 Fabian Svara
From: Fabian Svara @ 2001-10-26 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Does all that actually mean that pages on the net which are generally accessible are subject to all the world's laws? That would actually make sense (as the net itself is ubiquitious), but is of course impossible...

Fabian Svara

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-23 12:31 Jesse Pollard
From: Jesse Pollard @ 2001-10-23 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ck, linux-kernel

> By the same line of reasoning, using passwd as root on a different user
> would be a possible circumvention of a copyright protection mechanism
> and thus turn passwd into illegal software under the DMCA. Are all *nix
> manufacturers and Linux distributors aware of this? All Linux distros
> and all Unix operating systems are illegal under DMCA...

It also applies to Windows too -- the admin would be cirumventing protection
by just changing the/a password...

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-23  3:45 Thomas Hood
From: Thomas Hood @ 2001-10-23  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In your letter you describe Alan as an "official" maintainer
of the stable kernel, but there isn't such a thing.  Alan
is a volunteer who works his butt off integrating patches
from other volunteers in order to produce a useful series of
Linux kernels.  He has apparently decided, however, to limit
his volunteer contributions to those that aren't liable to
land him in jail sometime in the future.

You seem to think that Alan is just being paranoid or petty,
but you are wrong.  U.S. law makes OSS coding legally risky.
Alan's duties require him to handle a lot of code, which
increases his exposure to the risk.  Furthermore, his
position in the community makes him an attractive target for
any entity that decides to attack the open source software
community with legal weapons.  Remember Sklyarov.

--
Thomas Hood

--
Thomas Hood
(Don't reply to the From: address but to jdthood_AT_mail.com)

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-23  2:48 Patrick Chase
From: Patrick Chase @ 2001-10-23  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan, linux-kernel

/> > So, then, just to satisfy my curiosity, how long until users of
Linux in/
/> > the U.S.A. will no longer be allowed to download new kernels?/

 > Potentially about 12 months after the SSSCA is passed. At which point
you may
 > well find only a binary only OS with enforced copy management is legal in
 > the USA.

Not even then, unless you can convince each and every contributor to
relicense their contribution to you under something other than the GPL.
(My reading of the license is that there is _no_ legality-based
exception to the pertinent "derivative works" clause, though I could
easily be wrong). Your change summaries are your original work, so you
are of course free to withold information there at your discretion ;-)

-- Patrick

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 23:40 Carsten Kuckuk
From: Carsten Kuckuk @ 2001-10-22 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2001-10-22 23:35 Craig Dickson
From: Craig Dickson @ 2001-10-22 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

There have been a lot of messages from a number of different people
about this "censored changelogs" issue. Rather than reply to various
points separately, I just want to sum up my views in one message.

I simply don't believe that Alan Cox is at any risk of prosecution, and
what's more, I don't believe that he believes it. He's just making a
dramatic political statement that will have no effect on the law, will
never even be noticed by American legislators, and serves only to annoy
US-based Linux users.

The words "Felten" and "Sklyarov" keep coming up in this discussion. The
parallel between Alan Cox's situation and those cases are simply not
valid.

Felten conducted research on how to break DRM systems that were being
considered for commercial use (the proposed SDMI standards).

Sklyarov developed (or helped develop) a product that breaks Adobe's
commercial DRM scheme for PDF files.

Note that both Felten and Skyarov developed and publicized (or announced
an intent to publicize, in Felten's case) ways of compromising
commercial, third-party DRM systems, thus embarrassing and antagonizing
the wealthy corporations that had invested time, money, and prestige in
those DRM systems. This has no real similarity with Alan Cox's kernel
work. All Alan is doing is fixing bugs in a system that he has every
right to work on, and has a long history of contributing to. He is _not_
reverse-engineering someone else's copyright-protection scheme and
publicizing how to circumvent it. And anyone who's ever actually _read_
his changelogs should know that they do not in any way amount to attack
recipes.

What's more, nobody sued or prosecuted Felten. The RIAA made threatening
noises, but backed off the instant they were called on it, insisting
that they had never had any intention of suing anybody, and they fully
supported Felten's rights as an academic researcher, blah blah blah.
(No, I don't really believe them, but the fact is, ultimately, they
didn't sue.) Felten elected not to present his paper mostly because it
gave him and the EFF a stronger case for his suit against the RIAA; he
couldn't very well present the paper and then sue them for preventing
him from doing so, and he obviously wants to be the Constitutional test
case or he wouldn't have bothered suing them at all after they publicly
backed down.

Alan Cox claims to have legal advice, but has said nothing about who
gave it to him, or what their qualifications are regarding US copyright
law and the DMCA, or even exactly what their reasoning was; all we know
is that the end result is that he's decided not to distribute complete
changelogs. I find it hard to take this sort of nebulous claim of "legal
advice" seriously when the advice seems nonsensical on its face.

Craig

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 23:30 Thomas Hood
From: Thomas Hood @ 2001-10-22 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I think that a lot of people would like to know more about
how the DMCA creates the risk that Alan is worried about.

Having said that, the decision about what is required to protect
himself is up to Alan, and if he chooses to be very cautious
then that is more than his right.  Don't like it?  You can
always start maintaining your own -xyz kernel branch.

I would also like to know how this issue affects Canadians,
who often occupy a legal middle ground between the U.S.
and the non-U.S. world when it comes to these issues.
Can Canadian citizens be informed of these changelog items?

--

@ 2001-10-22 22:27 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Even if every Linux user in the US speaks out against it (and I'm sure a lot of
us already have), I doubt it will make any difference at all.  There just aren't
enough of us.  But hey, you and the rest of the world will still have Linux, so
who cares, right?  It's great to see such enthusiastic support for the
principles of free software.

My personal opinion is that no one in this discussion is really concerned about
getting arrested or sued over publishing Linux changelogs.  I think it's all
just a publicity stunt to make a point, at the expense of those who have no
choice in the matter.  In any case, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the whole
subject and don't intend to answer any more posts or emails about it.

Wayne

Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> on 10/22/2001 05:04:54 PM

To:   Tony Hoyle <tmh@nothing-on.tv>
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (bcc: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Tony Hoyle wrote:

> > If publishing changelogs would be illegal in, say, the USA, should Linux
> > development be stopped ?
>
> If the SSSCA gets passed that's not an impossible scenario...  (more
> likely it'll just become unavailable in the US).

Oh, I'm absolutely certain that Linux development will continue
but Linux just won't be available to people in the US any more.

If people are truly uncomfortable with it, they should prevent
the SSSCA from becoming a law.

regards,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C?  Who cares?  http://thefreeworld.net/  (volunteers needed)

http://www.surriel.com/       http://distro.conectiva.com/

-

* RE: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 22:20 Leif Sawyer
From: Leif Sawyer @ 2001-10-22 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik van Riel, Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Rik van Riel responds to:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Rik van Riel wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe Alan will allow publishing of the changelogs on
> > > http://thefreeworld.net/  ?
> >
> > Earlier today he said he wanted to put them online in a way that
> > US citizens couldn't get at them. That's simply not acceptable.
>
> It's perfectly fine with me ;)
>
> > Now, if he backs off to simply not including them in email, but
> > publishing them on a non-US website that is freely accessible to
> > Americans, that might be a reasonable compromise.
>
> We're working on implementing access control for
> thefreeworld.net so the classified content won't
> be available for citizens and inhabitants of the
> USA.
>
> This is done so we won't be liable for publishing
> things to the USA which would be illegal there.
>
> > Alan has done a great many wonderful things for the kernel, and
> > it would indeed be very sad if he could not continue to do so.
> > However, if he's unwilling to do the job completely, making
> > changelogs and all other public information available without
> > restrictions, then he is no longer doing a very important part
> > of his job, and someone else should take over.
>
> So if the SSSCA gets approved and open source is outlawed
> (because only software with 'approved security measures'
> is allowed) Linux should stop entirely ?
>
> I don't agree that one US law, which hurts US citizens,
> should also hurt the rest of the world. It's your country,
> it's your law, it should only hurt you...

Now i'm completely mystified.  Since I'm a member of BugTraq,
I get full disclosure of the bugs that make it there.

Including the recent kernel bugs.

Since I'm in the position to see the problem before the solution,
I'd be happy to repost a summary of security-related changes
to vger, provided of course that I'm able to correlate the changes
with the advisories posted on BugTraq.

Of course, if Alan wanted to cc me on the kernel updates with the full
text of the changes, or if I had access to this new website, I'd still
be willing to repost.

Once a security issue is published to the global internet community
(via BugTraq, vger, or any other method) with regards to the open-source
componant of the linux kernel (i can't speak for non-GPL'd stuff of course)
in a manner consistant with full-disclosure, then I see no legal issue
with posting information that informs users of what fixes are made.

--
Leif Sawyer   --  Pi@4398680
leif@gci.net  ||  lsawyer@gci.com  ||  internic: LS2540

[parent not found: <fa.mf0j8bv.1e5o8jq@ifi.uio.no>]
* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 22:12 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kilobug; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thank you.  That's a very kind and generous offer.  You might want to consult a
French attorney, though, just to make certain there's no way they could make
trouble for you under French law.

I really appreciate the fact that you're willing to help, but I wouldn't want
you to risk getting into trouble on our behalf.

Wayne

Kilobug <kilobug@freesurf.fr> on 10/22/2001 04:52:43 PM

To:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
cc:    (bcc: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec)

Rik van Riel wrote:

 >>I never said that Alan, or any particular individual, should
 >>risk a lawsuit or jail.  I simply said that I hoped *someone
 >>outside the US* (that is, someone not subject to US laws) would
 >>make the information available.
 >>

 > If you publish to the US, you can be sued under US law.

Ok, so mail me the security-related informations at
kilobug@club-internet.fr, it's in France so you can, and I'll forward them.

I don't plan to go to the US a day or another (I won't go to any country
that use death penalty, for moral and political reasons), and so I don't
fear their DMCA.

--
   ** Gael Le Mignot, Ing3 EPITA, Coder of The Kilobug Team **
Home Mail : kilobug@freesurf.fr          Work Mail : le-mig_g@epita.fr

"Software is like sex it's better when it's free.", Linus Torvalds

-

* RE: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 20:57 Craig Dickson
From: Craig Dickson @ 2001-10-22 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2001-10-22 20:27 PinkFreud
From: PinkFreud @ 2001-10-22 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> > > 2.2.20pre11
> > > o Security fixes
> > > Care to elaborate?
>
> On a list that reaches US citizens - no. File permissions and userids may
> constitute and be used for rights management.
>
> Alan

Why not take that a step further?  It would seem to me that your
insane interpretation of that insane law would mean that unix and it's
derivatives (Linux, anyone?) would be illegal to use as well.

You're preaching to the choir here.  By withholding these changes from US
citizens, you're not going to pressure any politicians.  I doubt there are
many politicians who count on this issue reading this list.  I think most
of the US citizens reading this list, though, are enlightened enough to
know the harm the DMCA causes.

Please don't tell me you woke up this morning and had a sudden attack of
conscience that you were violating US law.  You've posted such changes
here since the DMCA was put into effect, not to mention that lists like
Bugtraq are still operating in the US - and I think many of us managed to
read about the symlink and ptrace holes in kernels <= 2.2.19.

	Mike Edwards

Brainbench certified Master Linux Administrator
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=158188
-----------------------------------
Unsolicited advertisments to this address are not welcome.

* RE: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 20:22 Torrey Hoffman
From: Torrey Hoffman @ 2001-10-22 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gregory Ade'; +Cc: linux-kernel

Gregory Ade ranted, and I couldn't resist replying:

> So, then, just to satisfy my curiosity, how long until users
> of Linux in
> the U.S.A. will no longer be allowed to download new kernels?

If (hopefully not when!) the SSSCA passes.  Personally, I'm making
plans to get out of the US if that happens.

> After all, all it would really take for one of us to find out what was
> fixed is to download this patch and go through it line by line, and
> examine the context of the changes.
> Or are we no longer allowed to look at the sources either?

Of course you can look at the sources.  So ** YOU ** can go through
the patches, figure out exactly what the security flaws were, create
a detailed description, and post it on a web page or on this list.

Then ** YOU ** are the one who might get sued under the DMCA.
Why should Alan take the risk?

> I'm really confused by this gesture.  You're talking about

I don't think it is primarily a gesture.  Obviously Alan is taking
a somewhat extreme position, probably (partly) to make a point, but
there are REAL issues here.  (IANAL either, of course.)

To spell it out:

1. The security flaws were in userid and other kernel subsystems.

2. These kernel systems could be used to protect copyrighted data -
   for example, perhaps some on-line music company uses Linux
   servers to store the music.

3. Instructions on how to check for (i.e. exploit) the flaw may
   constitute an illegal copy control circumvention device.
   Why?  Well, perhaps if you know the details, you could use
   them to hack on-line music servers, and download music for
   free, or without the DRM locks on it.  It really isn't
   difficult to come up with a plausible example.

4. Presenting detailed information like this, together with sample
   code, is basically what Dimitri Skylarov was arrested for.

4b.  You are not safe even if you never visit the US.

5. Dimitry is still awaiting trial and faces (at worst) ~20 years
   in jail and tens of thousands of dollars in fines, merely for
   explaining how lousy the security is on some software intended
   to protect copyrighted content.

6. Therefore, as I see it, Alan wisely is avoiding even coming
   close to that.

Do you really have a problem with that?  I think it's very prudent.

The source code or patch itself is a FIX, it cannot be construed
as a circumvention device.  (compare to information about the holes,
which includes shell script for sample exploits, etc.)

> I guess I was wrong about the Linux kernel being Open Source
> and freely available and distributable.

Calm down, you are getting your knickers in a knot over something
that is not Alan's fault.

Torrey Hoffman

* Re:  Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 19:58 Rogier Wolff
From: Rogier Wolff @ 2001-10-22 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How about those European sites that made strong encryption available
> to circumvent the US export restrictions on encryption technology?  I
> never heard of the FBI raiding any of them.

There is one important difference there: Publishing ecryption outside
the US was and is completely legal (apart from stupid local rules).

In the case of the DMCA, it has been shown that someone who publishes
a "circumvention device" outside the US can be arrested once in the
US.

In this case "the bug" could be labelled "circumvention device":
Suppose the bug is a "remote buffer overflow" (*) then if you have
copyrighted info on your server which is programmed so that that
non-paying people can't access the copyrighted material. Someone with
knowledge of the bug will be able to break in an access the
copyrighted material.

Anyone who publishes the bug risks getting arrested if they set foot
in the US.

			Roger.

(*) It probably isn't.

* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.
* There are also old, bald pilots.

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 18:59 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I certainly can't argue with your logic.  :-)

Actually, I believe there are some decent, honest, well-meaning people in our
government.  It's just that they seldom have much influence on policy.  :-(

Wayne

Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> on 10/22/2001 01:40:36 PM

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:

> I wonder if there are any Linux hackers in Iraq?  It's doubtful the government
> there would honor any legal action attempted by the US on DMCA issues.  OTOH,
it
> would put me in the rather weird position of agreeing with the Iraqi
government,
> which is something I NEVER would have expected...  :-)

Oh, come on.  Every government is right on some issues.  Proof:

     For every government X there is at least one government Y such that X
would claim that Y is a bunch of corrupt assholes.  Since every government
_is_ a bunch of corrupt assholes, every government is right at least in one
of its claims.

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 18:27 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"Per Jessen" <per@computer.org> on 10/22/2001 01:13:42 PM

Please respond to "Per Jessen" <per@computer.org>

To:   "linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:51:53 -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
>I never said that Alan, or any particular individual, should risk a lawsuit or
>jail.  I simply said that I hoped *someone outside the US* (that is, someone
not
>subject to US laws) would make the information available.  Surely there are
>places in the world that are beyond the reach of the DMCA.  How about those

Alan Cox, living in the UK, may be *somewhat* subject to US legislation.
Ties between the US and the UK are strong, and it is understandable if a UK-
resident person does not feel entirely out of reach of US law enforcement.

IMHO.

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.

Windows 2001: "I'm sorry Dave ...  I'm afraid I can't do that."

-

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 18:13 Per Jessen
From: Per Jessen @ 2001-10-22 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:51:53 -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
>I never said that Alan, or any particular individual, should risk a lawsuit or
>jail.  I simply said that I hoped *someone outside the US* (that is, someone not
>subject to US laws) would make the information available.  Surely there are
>places in the world that are beyond the reach of the DMCA.  How about those

Alan Cox, living in the UK, may be *somewhat* subject to US legislation.
Ties between the US and the UK are strong, and it is understandable if a UK-
resident person does not feel entirely out of reach of US law enforcement.

IMHO.

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.

Windows 2001: "I'm sorry Dave ...  I'm afraid I can't do that."

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 17:51 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I never said that Alan, or any particular individual, should risk a lawsuit or
jail.  I simply said that I hoped *someone outside the US* (that is, someone not
subject to US laws) would make the information available.  Surely there are
places in the world that are beyond the reach of the DMCA.  How about those
European sites that made strong encryption available to circumvent the US export
restrictions on encryption technology?  I never heard of the FBI raiding any of
them.

Wayne

George Garvey <tmwg-linuxknl@inxservices.com> on 10/22/2001 12:35:53 PM

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

   So you want to make the decision for Alan to get into a lawsuit and
possibly go to jail to fight the law? Will you pay his legal bills? Will
you take over his maintenance duties if necessary? Will you give him a
job when he's done if it comes to that?
   That's a personal decision, don't you think? Who can judge another
without knowing their circumstances? Do you understand the situation at
all? Truthfully, I don't.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:21:43PM -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
> It's highly unlikely that Alan withholding information from a handful
> of US Linux users and developers will have any effect on US laws.

* Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 17:21 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

It's highly unlikely that Alan withholding information from a handful of US
Linux users and developers will have any effect on US laws.  Plenty of us have
complained already to our elected officials, without results.  The number of
people who would care (or even know) about Alan's security boycott -- even if it
includes the entire US readership of linux-kernel -- is vanishingly small
compared to the general population, and no politician is going to pay attention
to such a small and dilute constituency.  All a policy of secrecy will
accomplish is to punish US kernel hackers (who probably disagree with the DMCA
as much as the rest of you) and have no effect on the average citizen who
doesn't have a clue about either the DMCA or Linux.  I'm seeing a disturbing
trend here; with all the talk about this topic and about EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL here
lately, I'm starting to think linux-kernel is more about restricting information
than disseminating it.

I believe the DCMA should be treated like firearms laws or any other bad laws:
Fight them where possible, and disobey them where fighting them is not possible.

Wayne

Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> on 10/22/2001 11:03:53 AM

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:

> Speaking as a US citizen, I hope that someone outside the US
> will grab that info as soon as it's available and make it
> accessible to everyone.  (Not that I need it myself -- I have no
> interest in 2.2.20 -- but I like to see crap legislation like
> the DMCA subverted wherever possible.)

Yeah, lets keep up the status quo so bad laws never get
subverted and people like Dmitry Skylarov are the only
people suffering from bad US laws.

NOT.

Rik
--

@ 2001-10-22 15:11 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-10-22 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> on 10/22/2001 06:55:12 AM

To:   ahu@ds9a.nl (bert hubert)
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (bcc: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec)

> Are you saying that we can't divulge security problems in our own software
> anymore for fear of being sued by affected parties?

Not even affected parties - the government can do it too without anyone else
and indeed even if their are contractual agreements between parties
permitting the data to be released..

I hope to have the security stuff up on a non US citizen accessible site in
time for 2.2.20 final
-

* Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-10-22 10:21 Alan Cox
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-22 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Things took a bit longer than intended with various security fixes needing to
be done. If this tree tests out ok it will be 2.2.20

2.2.20pre11
o	Security fixes
	| Details censored in accordance with the US DMCA
o	Sparc updates					(Dave Miller)
o	Add escaped usb hot plug config item		(Ryan Maple)
o	Fix eepro10 driver problems			(Aris)
o	Make request_module return match 2.4		(David Woodhouse)
o	Update SiS900 driver				(Hui-Fen Hsu)
o	Update ver_linux to match 2.4			(Steven Cole)
o	Final isdn fixups for 2.2			(Kai Germaschewski)
o	scsi tape fixes from 2.4			(Kai Mäkisara)
o	Update credits entry				(Henrik Storner)
o	Fix scc driver hang case			(Jeroen)
o	Update credits entry				(Dave Jones)
o	Update FAT documentation			(Hirokazu Nomoto)
o	Small net tweaks				(Dave Miller)
o	Fix cs89xx abuse of skb->len			(Kapr Johnik)

2.2.20pre10
o	Update the gdth driver				(Achim Leubner)
o	Fix prelink elf loading in 2.2			(Jakub Jelinek)
o	2.2 lockd fixes when talking to HP/UX		(Trond Myklebust)
o	3ware driver update				(Adam Radford)
o	hysdn driver update				(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Backport via rhine fixes			(Dennis Bjorklund)
o	NFS client fixes		(Trond Myklebust, Ion Badulescu,
					 Jim Castleberry, Crag I Hagan.
					 Adrian Drzewiecki)
o	Blacklist TEAC PD-1 to single lun		(Wojtek Pilorz)
o	Fix null request_mode return 			(David Woodhouse)
o	Update credits entry				(Fernando Fuganti)
o	Fix sparc build with newer binutils		(Andreas Jaeger)
o	Starfire update					(Ion Badulescu)
o	Remove dead USB files				(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Fix isdn mppp crash case			(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Fix eicon driver				(Kai Germaschewski)
o	More pci idents					(Andreas Tobler)
o	Typo fix					(Eli Carter)
o	Remove ^M's from some data files		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	64bit cleanups for isdn				(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Update isdn certificates			(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Mac update for sysrq				(Ben Herrenschmidt)

2.2.20pre9
o	Document ip_always_defrag in proc.txt		(Brett Eldrige)
o	Update S/390 asm for newer gcc			(Ulrich Weigand
o	Update S/390 documentation			 Carsten Otte
o	Update s390 dump too				  and co)
o	Update s/390 dasd to match 2.4
o	Backport s/390 tape driver from 2.4
o	FDDI bits for s/390
o	Updates for newer pmac laptops			(Tom Rini)
o	AMD760MP support				(Johannes Erdfelt)
o	Fix PPC oops on media change			(Tom Rini)
o	Fix some weird but valid input combinations	(Tom Rini)
	on PPC
o	Add additional checks to irc dcc masquerade	(Juanjo Ciarlante,
							 Michal Zalewski)
o	Update 2.2 ISDN maintainer			(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Fix 3c505 with > 16Mb of RAM			(Paul)
o	Bring USB into sync with 2.4.7			(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)

2.2.20pre8
o	Merge DRM fixes from 2.4.7 tree			(me)
o	Merge sbpcd fixes from 2.4.7 tree
o	Merge moxa buffer length check
o	Merge bttv clip length check
o	Merge aha2920 shared irq from 2.4.7 tree
o	Merge MTWEOF fix from 2.4.6 tree
o	Merge serverworks AGP from 2.4.6 tree
o	Merge sbc60xxx watchdog fixes from 2.4.6
o	Merge lapbether fixes from 2.4.6
o	Merge bpqether fixes from 2.4.6
o	Merge scc fixes from 2.4.6
o	Merge lmc memory leak fixes from 2.4.6
o	Merge sm_wss fixes from 2.4.6
o	Resync AGP support with 2.4.6
o	Merge epca fixes from 2.4.5
o	Merge riscom8 fixes from 2.4.5
o	Merge softdog fixes from 2.4.5
o	Merge specialix fixes from 2.4.5
o	Merge wdt/wdt_pci fixes from 2.4.5
o	ISDN cisco hdlc fixes				(Kai Germaschewski)
o	ISDN timer fixes				(Kai Germaschewski)
o	isdn minor control change backport		(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Backport ELCR MP 1.1 config/PCI routing stuff	(John William)
o	Backport isdn ppp fixes from 2.4		(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Backport isdn_tty fixes from 2.4		(Kai Germaschewski)
o	eicon cleanups					(Armin Schindler)
	| Armin can you double check the clashes were ok
o	Fix an ntfs oops				(Anton Altaparmakov)
o	Fix arp null neighbour buglet			(Dave Miller)
o	Update sparc version strings, pci fixups	(Dave Miller)
o	Define CONFIG_X86 in 2.2 as well as 2.4		(Herbert Xu)
o	Configure.help cleanups				(Steven Cole)
o	Add MODE_SELECT_10 to qlogic fc table		(Jeff Andre)
o	Remove dead oldproc variable			(Dave Miller)
o	Update starfire driver for 2.2			(Ion Badulescu)
o	8139too driver update				(Jens David)
o	Assorted race fixes for binfmt loaders		(Al Viro)
o	Update Alpha support for older boxes		(Jay Estabrook)
o	ISDN bsdcomp/ppp compression fixes		(Kai Germaschewski)

2.2.20pre7
o	Merge rose buffer management fixes		(Jean-Paul Roubelat)
o	Configure.help updates				(Steven Cole)
o	Add Steven Cole to credits			(Steven Cole)
o	Update kbuild list info				(Michael Chastain)
o	Fix slab.c doc typo				(Piotr Kasprzyk)
o	Lengthen parport probe timeout			(Jean-Luc Coulon)
o	Fix vm86 cleanup				(Stas Sergeev)
o	Fix 8139too build bug				(Jürgen Zimmermann)
o	Fix slow 8139too performance			(Oleg Makarenko)
o	Sparc64 exec fixes				(Solar Designer)

2.2.20pre6
o	Merge all the pending ISDN updates		(Kai Germaschewski)
	| These are sizable changes and want a good testing
o	Fix sg deadlock bug as per 2.4			(Douglas Gilbert)
o	Count socket/pipe in quota inode use		(Paul Menage)
o	Fix some missing configuration help texts	(Steven Cole)
o	Fix Rik van Riel's credits entry		(Rik van Riel)
o	Mark xtime as volatile in extern definition	(various people)
o	Fix open error return checks			(Andries Brouwer)

2.2.20pre5
o	Fix a patch generation error, replaces 2.2.20pre4 which is
	wrong on ad1848

2.2.20pre4
o	Fix small corruption bug in 82596		(Andries Brouwer)
o	Fix usb printer probing				(Pete Zaitcev)
o	Fix swapon/procfs race				(Paul Menage)
o	Handle ide dma bug in the CS5530		(Mark Lord)
o	Backport 2.4 ipv6 neighbour discovery changes	(Dave Miller)
o	FIx sock_wmalloc error handling			(Dave Miller)
o	Enter quickack mode for out of window TCP data	(Andi Kleen)
o	Fix Established v SYN-ACK TCP state error	(Alexey Kuznetsov)
o	Sparc updates, ptrace changes etc		(Dave Miller)
o	Fix wrong printk in vdolive masq		(Keitaro Yosimura)
o	Fix core dump handling bugs in 2.2		(Al Viro)
o	Update hdlc and synclink drivers		(Paul Fulghum)
o	Update netlink help texts			(Magnus Damm)
o	Fix rtl8139 keeping files open			(Andrew Morton)
o	Further sk98 driver updates. fix wrong license	(Mirko Lindner)
	text in files
o	Jonathan Woithe has moved			(Jonathan Woithe)
o	Update cpqarray driver				(Charles White)
o	Update cciss driver				(Charles White)
o	Don't delete directories on an fs that reports	(Ingo Oeser)
	then 0 size when doing distclean
o	Add support for the 2.4 boot extensions to 2.2	(H Peter Anvin)
o	Fix nfs cache locking corruption on SMP		(Craig Hagan)
o	Add missing check to cdrom readaudio ioctl	(Jani Jaakkola)
o	Fix refclock build with newer gcc		(Jari Ruusu)
o	koi8-r fixes					(Andy Rysin)
o	Spelling fixes for documentation		(Andries Brouwer)

2.2.20pre3
o	FPU/ptrace corruption fixes			(Victor Zandy)
o	Resync belkin usb serial with 2.4		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Resync digiport usb serial with 2.4		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Rsync empeg usb serial with 2.4			(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Resync ftdi_sio against 2.4			(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Bring keyscan usb back into line with 2.4	(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Resync keyspan_pda usb with 2.4			(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Resync omninet usb with 2.4.5			(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Resync usb-serial driver with 2.4.5		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Resync visor usb driver with 2.4.5		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Rsync whiteheat driver with 2.4.5		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Add edgeport USB serial				(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Add mct_u232 USB serial				(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Update usb storage device list		(Stas Bekman, Kaz Sasayma)
o	Bring usb acm driver into line with 2.4.5	(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Bring bluetooth driver into line with 2.4.5	(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Bring dabusb driver into line with 2.4.5	(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Bring usb dc2xx driver into line with 2.4.5	(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Bring mdc800 usb driver into line with 2.4.5	(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Bring rio driver into line with 2.4.5		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Bring USB scanner drivers into line with 2.4.5	(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Update ov511 driver to match 2.4.5		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Update PCIIOC ioctls (esp for sparc)		(Dave Miller)
o	General sparc bugfixes				(Dave Miller)
o	Fix possible oops in fbmem ioctls		(Dave Miller)
o	Fix reboot/halt bug on "Alcor" Alpha boxes	(Tom Vier)
o	Update osst driver 				(Willem Riede)
o	Fix syncppp negotiation bug			(Bob Dunlop)
o	SMBfs bug fixes from 2.4 series			(Urban Widmark)
o	3ware IDE raid driver updates			(Adam Radford)
o	Fix incorrect use of bitops on non long types	(Dave Miller)
o	Fix reboot/halt bug on 'Miata' Alpha boxes	(Tom Vier)
o	Update Tim Waugh's contact info			(Tim Waugh)
o	Add TIOCGSERIAL to sun serial on PCI sparc32	(Lars Kellogg-Stedman)
o	ov511 check user data more carefully		(Marc McClelland)
o	Fix netif_wake_queue compatibility macro	(Andi Kleen)

2.2.20pre2
o	Fix ip_decrease_ttl as per 2.4			(Dave Miller)
o	Fix tcp retransmit state bug			(Alexey Kuznetsov)
o	Fix a few obscure sparc tree bugs		(Dave Miller)
o	Fix fb /proc bug and OF fb name size bug	(Segher Boessenkool)
o	Fix complie with CONFIG_INTEL_RNG=y		(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Fix rio driver when HZ!=100			(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Stop 3c509 grabbing other EISA boards		(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Remove surplus defines for root= names		(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Revert pre1 APIC change

2.2.20pre1
o	Fix SMP deadlock in NFS				(Trond Myklebust)
o	Fix missing printk in bluesmoke handler		(me)
o	Fix sparc64 nfs					(Dave Miller)
o	Update io_apic code to avoid breaking dual	(Johannes Erdfelt)
	Athlon 760MP
o	Fix includes bugs in toshiba driver		(Justin Keene,
							 Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Fix wanpipe cross compile			(Phil Blundell)
o	AGPGART copy_from_user fix			(Dawson Engler)
o	Fix alpha resource setup error			(Allan Frank)
o	Eicon driver updates				(Armind Schindler)
o	PC300 driver update				(Daniela Squassoni)
o	Show lock owner on flocks			(Jim Mintha)
o	Update cciss driver to 1.0.3			(Charles White)
o	Backport cciss/cpqarray security fixes		(me)
o	Update i810 random number generator		(Jeff Garzik)
o	Update sk98 driver				(Mirko Lindner)
o	Update sis900 ethernet driver			(Hui-Fen Hsu)
o	Fix checklist glitch in make menuconfig		(Moritz Schulte)
o	Update synclink driver				(Paul Fulghum)
o	Update advansys scsi driver			(Bob Frey)
o	Ver_linux fixes for 2.2				(Steven Cole)
o	Bring 2.2 back into line with the master ISDN	(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Whiteheat usb driver update			(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Fix via_rhine byte counters			(Adam Lackorzynski)
o	Fix modem control on rio serial			(Rogier Wolff)
o	Add more Iomega Zip to the usb storage list	(Wim Coekaerts)
o	Add ZF Micro watchdog 				(Fernando Fuganti)

* Linux 2.2.20pre10
@ 2001-09-11 23:06 Alan Cox
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-09-11 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

If you know any reason this should not be 2.2.20 final now is a very very
good time to say. I intend to call this patch 2.2.20 in a week or so barring
any last minute problems. Please save anything but actual bugfixes for
2.2.21.