* BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-20 11:38 Stefan Wahren
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stefan Wahren @ 2019-11-20 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-rpi-kernel

Hello,

i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.

Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
best on his way.

Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.

Regards
Stefan

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-20 14:11 ` Phil Elwell
From: Phil Elwell @ 2019-11-20 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, linux-rpi-kernel

Hi Stefan,

On 20/11/2019 11:38, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.
>
> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
> best on his way.
>
> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for being such a champion
of BCM2835+ and Raspberry Pi. It must have felt like a thankless task at
times, but you leave the upstream Pi support in a much better state than
when you started.

Welcome Nicolas - you've been contributing to the mainline kernel almost
as long as I've been at Raspberry Pi, and you're no stranger to the Pi
repos on GitHub. I look forward to working with you further.

Phil

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-20 20:20 ` Nicolas Saenz Julienne
From: Nicolas Saenz Julienne @ 2019-11-20 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, linux-rpi-kernel

On Wed, 2019-11-20 at 12:38 +0100, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.

Thanks for all the effort you put in! You leave the Raspberry Pi upstream in
very good shape.

Regards,
Nicolas

> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
> best on his way.
>
> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.
>
> Regards
> Stefan

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-20 21:54 ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2019-11-20 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, linux-rpi-kernel; +Cc: Nicolas Saenz Julienne

On 11/20/19 3:38 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.
>
> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
> best on his way.
>
> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.

Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
MAINTAINERS file update?

Take care.
--
Florian

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-21  9:56   ` Stefan Wahren
From: Stefan Wahren @ 2019-11-21  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli, Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, Eric Anholt,
	Nicolas Saenz Julienne

Am 20.11.19 um 22:54 schrieb Florian Fainelli:
> On 11/20/19 3:38 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
>> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
>> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.
>>
>> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
>> best on his way.
>>
>> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
>> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.
> Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
> maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
> MAINTAINERS file update?

Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.

> Take care.

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-21 17:42     ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2019-11-21 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Wahren, Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, Eric Anholt,
	Nicolas Saenz Julienne

On 11/21/19 1:56 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Am 20.11.19 um 22:54 schrieb Florian Fainelli:
>> On 11/20/19 3:38 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
>>> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
>>> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.
>>>
>>> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
>>> best on his way.
>>>
>>> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
>>> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.
>> Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
>> maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
>> MAINTAINERS file update?
>
> Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
> hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.

How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?

Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.

How does that sound?
--
Florian

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-21 17:51       ` Stefan Wahren
From: Stefan Wahren @ 2019-11-21 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli, Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, Eric Anholt,
	Nicolas Saenz Julienne

Hi Florian,

Am 21.11.19 um 18:42 schrieb Florian Fainelli:
> On 11/21/19 1:56 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:

>>> Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
>>> maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
>>> MAINTAINERS file update?
>> Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
>> hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.
> How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
> tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
> kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?
>
> Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
> into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.
>
> How does that sound?
this sounds like a good idea. In case the others agree too, can you take
care of it?

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-21 18:03         ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2019-11-21 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Wahren, Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, Eric Anholt,
	Nicolas Saenz Julienne

On 11/21/19 9:51 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Am 21.11.19 um 18:42 schrieb Florian Fainelli:

>>> Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
>>> hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.
>> How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
>> tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
>> kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?
>>
>> Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
>> into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.
>>
>> How does that sound?
> this sounds like a good idea. In case the others agree too, can you take
> care of it?

Certainly, let me work through the process and I will let you know if
that could work.
--
Florian

* Re: BCM2835 maintainership
@ 2019-11-21 22:23           ` Eric Anholt
From: Eric Anholt @ 2019-11-21 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Fainelli
  Cc: Stefan Wahren, Stefan Wahren, linux-kernel, Nicolas Saenz Julienne

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/21/19 9:51 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> > Hi Florian,

> >> How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
> >> tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
> >> kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?
> >>
> >> Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
> >> into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.
> >>
> >> How does that sound?
> > this sounds like a good idea. In case the others agree too, can you take
> > care of it?
>
> Certainly, let me work through the process and I will let you know if
> that could work.

This all sounds fine to me, though since I'm not active any more we
should probably drop me out of MAINTAINERS while we're doing this
shuffle, too.