* Re: Bitkeeper outragem, old and new
@ 2002-10-14 16:39 Pekka Savola
From: Pekka Savola @ 2002-10-14 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristian Koehntopp; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 05:18:40PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > 3) If you had built a decent system instead of sitting around and whining,
> >    we could be doing something else instead of sitting around listening
> >    to your whining.
>
> Larry, rest assured that exactly this is happinging right now
> all over the world. You are not feeling the backlash now,
> because it takes time, but it will happen, and you made pretty
> much sure of that.
>
> You are pulling a Qt. By changing the license to BK to
> discourage development of BK alternatives you made sure that
> Subversion and other projects get plenty of new and highly
> motivated developers - you actually encouraged the development
> of BK alternatives just like the non-free license of Qt as the
> foundation of KDE spawned the Gnome project.
>
> The clock just started ticking and when we reevaluate this
> discussion in one or two years time, the complete strategic
> stupidity of this particular license change from BKs POV view
> will be evident.

I agree 100%; I'll just add one word:

OpenSSH

* Bitkeeper outragem, old and new
@ 2002-10-13 22:48 Richard Stallman
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The new restrictions on Bitkeeper, saying that people who contribute
to CVS or Subversion and even companies that distribute them cannot
even run Bitkeeper, have sparked outrage.  While these specific
restrictions are new, their spirit fits perfectly with the previous
Bitkeeper license.

The spirit of the Bitkeeper license is the spirit of the whip hand.
It is the spirit that says, "You have no right to use Bitkeeper, only
temporary privileges that we can revoke.  Be grateful that we allow
you to use Bitkeeper.  Be grateful, and don't do anything we dislike,
or we may revoke those privileges."  It is the spirit of proprietary
software.  Every non-free license is designed to control the users
more or less.  Outrage at this spirit is the reason for the free
software movement.  (By contrast, the open source movement prefers to
play down this same outrage.)

If the latest outrage brings the spirit of the non-free Bitkeeper
license into clear view, perhaps that will be enough to convince the
developers of Linux to stop using Bitkeeper for Linux development.