stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Request for inclusion into linux-4.14.y
@ 2019-01-21 19:35 Alakesh Haloi
From: Alakesh Haloi @ 2019-01-21 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh; +Cc: stable, Steve French

Hello Greg,
Can you please consider including the following patch in the stable
linux-4.14.y branch? This is to fix a broken dependency for config option
CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX

04f67ed3d83a ("cifs: allow disabling insecure dialects in the config")

Following commit introduced a dependency for CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX on the config
CONFIG_CIFS_ALLOW_INSECURE_LEGACY, but the above mentioned commit that had
enable CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX in 4.14.94.

ab9697222a1d ("cifs: In Kconfig CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX needs depends on legacy
(insecure cifs)")

Regards
-Alakesh Haloi

* Re: Request for inclusion into linux-4.14.y
@ 2019-01-21 19:44 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-01-21 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alakesh Haloi; +Cc: stable, Steve French

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 07:35:43PM +0000, Alakesh Haloi wrote:
> Hello Greg,
> Can you please consider including the following patch in the stable
> linux-4.14.y branch? This is to fix a broken dependency for config option
> CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX
>
> 04f67ed3d83a ("cifs: allow disabling insecure dialects in the config")

I do not see that commit in Linus's tree, are you sure the sha1 is
correct?

> Following commit introduced a dependency for CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX on the config
> CONFIG_CIFS_ALLOW_INSECURE_LEGACY, but the above mentioned commit that had
> enable CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX in 4.14.94.
>
> ab9697222a1d ("cifs: In Kconfig CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX needs depends on legacy
> (insecure cifs)")

Was the above patch incorrectly applied?  Should it just be dropped
instead?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Request for inclusion into linux-4.14.y
@ 2019-01-21 21:05   ` Alakesh Haloi
From: Alakesh Haloi @ 2019-01-21 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: stable, Steve French

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 08:44:48PM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 07:35:43PM +0000, Alakesh Haloi wrote:
> > Hello Greg,
> > Can you please consider including the following patch in the stable
> > linux-4.14.y branch? This is to fix a broken dependency for config option
> > CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX
> >
> > 04f67ed3d83a ("cifs: allow disabling insecure dialects in the config")
>
> I do not see that commit in Linus's tree, are you sure the sha1 is
> correct?

Apologies for pasting a wrong sha1 for the commit. Following is the commit from
linus's tree that needs to be included to fix the dependency:

7420451f6a10 ("cifs: allow disabling insecure dialects in the config")

> > Following commit introduced a dependency for CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX on the config
> > CONFIG_CIFS_ALLOW_INSECURE_LEGACY, but the above mentioned commit that had
> > enable CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX in 4.14.94.
> >
> > ab9697222a1d ("cifs: In Kconfig CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX needs depends on legacy
> > (insecure cifs)")
>
> Was the above patch incorrectly applied?  Should it just be dropped
> instead?
This patch that is already there in 4.14.y looks correct but it does
have missing dependency on the patch that is requested to be included.
The other option is to drop this patch. But I would prefer to keep the
patch and have the dependency resolved.

@ 2019-01-24 18:02     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-01-24 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alakesh Haloi; +Cc: stable, Steve French

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:05:12PM +0000, Alakesh Haloi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 08:44:48PM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 07:35:43PM +0000, Alakesh Haloi wrote:
> > > Hello Greg,
> > > Can you please consider including the following patch in the stable
> > > linux-4.14.y branch? This is to fix a broken dependency for config option
> > > CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX
> > >
> > > 04f67ed3d83a ("cifs: allow disabling insecure dialects in the config")
> >
> > I do not see that commit in Linus's tree, are you sure the sha1 is
> > correct?
> >
> Apologies for pasting a wrong sha1 for the commit. Following is the commit from
> linus's tree that needs to be included to fix the dependency:
>
> 7420451f6a10 ("cifs: allow disabling insecure dialects in the config")
>
> > > Following commit introduced a dependency for CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX on the config
> > > CONFIG_CIFS_ALLOW_INSECURE_LEGACY, but the above mentioned commit that had
> > > enable CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX in 4.14.94.
> > >
> > > ab9697222a1d ("cifs: In Kconfig CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX needs depends on legacy
> > > (insecure cifs)")
> >
> > Was the above patch incorrectly applied?  Should it just be dropped
> > instead?
> This patch that is already there in 4.14.y looks correct but it does
> have missing dependency on the patch that is requested to be included.
> The other option is to drop this patch. But I would prefer to keep the
> patch and have the dependency resolved.

Ok, now queued up, thanks.

greg k-h